Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Are you sure? Does Afghanistan have sizable oil reserves?
    Hence the second part of that sentence. They also used the excuse of revenge for that as well, as in the attitude of, "they caused 9/11th so it's only justice that we screw them as well".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Don't forget those that died in Afghanistan as well Bono. Or are you ignoring those deaths?
    Read that post again, I wasn't finished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I said many times, the those who died in the Iraqi war. In addition, those who died in Afghanistan as well, although I probably concentrated on those who died in the Iraqi war as it has happened more recently.
    So since we are on that subject then we can deduce that your stance on the subject is that America should never have attacked Afghanistan, letting the place build up as a terroist base.

The "mass murders" of those people (Iraq + Afgh) you refer to implies that they are prosecutable under law.

Like genocide in teh Balkans. Is that it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Read that post again, I wasn't finished.
    I quoted on what you said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    So since we are on that subject then we can deduce that your stance on the subject is that America should never have attacked Afghanistan, letting the place build up as a terroist base.

The "mass murders" of those people (Iraq + Afgh) you refer to implies that they are prosecutable under law.

Like genocide in teh Balkans. Is that it?
    Well, America broke Geneva conventions anyway in their Iraqi invasion (it was technically illegal), so I guess the laws don't really apply to them. As we agreed, they both have the power; of which they abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Hence the second part of that sentence. They also used the excuse of revenge for that as well, as in the attitude of, "they caused 9/11th so it's only justice that we screw them as well".
    But you said "MAINLY yes..." so you imply that oil was the MAIN reason for attacking Afghanistan.

The "revenge" part of this argument are only used as an valid reason to attack Al Qaeda-NOT Afghanistan the country or the people inside it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, this doesn't seem very productive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I quoted on what you said.
    Yes, but I was adding to it for clarification purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    But you said "MAINLY yes..." so you imply that oil was the MAIN reason for attacking Afghanistan.

The "revenge" part of this argument are only used as an valid reason to attack Al Qaeda-NOT Afghanistan the country or the people inside it.
    1.) No, for the Iraq nvasion it was mainly oil. I was talking about that in the posts which you found that quote.

2.) I agree, yet the civilians always seem to recieve the punishment for it regardless of what SHOULD happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Well, America broke Geneva conventions anyway in their Iraqi invasion (it was technically illegal), so I guess the laws don't really apply to them. As we agreed, they both have the power; of which they abuse.
    1. America has the military/economic superiority in this world. Do you wish to contest this?

2. The Geneva convention is useless. Tell me any country that has actually followed this in a time of conflict?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Hmm, this doesn't seem very productive.
    How is a discussion in the debate sub-forum not productive? Yes the general chat threads are more productive? :rolleyes:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    So let me get this straight bono.

The BBC produced a negative documentary about Iran as part of a western media conspiracy to make money* and to help encourage the american public's support for the american government to go to war in Iraq for oil and to kill civilians.

This is what your arguements have appeared to come across as to me - if I'm wrong please feel free to enlighten me.

*bearing in mind that the BBC is a non profit making public service broadcaster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    1. America has the military/economic superiority in this world. Do you wish to contest this?

2. The Geneva convention is useless. Tell me any country that has actually followed this in a time of conflict?
    1.) No, I also added that they abuse their position at the expense of innocent lives in other nations (middle eastern).

2.) Yes, another excuse for the invasion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes, but I was adding to it for clarification purposes.
    And I clarified it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    So let me get this straight bono.

The BBC produced a negative documentary about Iran as part of a western media conspiracy to make money* and to help encourage the american public's support for the american government to go to war in Iraq for oil and to kill civilians.

This is what your arguements have appeared to come across as to me - if I'm wrong please feel free to enlighten me.

*bearing in mind that the BBC is a non profit making public service broadcaster.
    That doesn't make sense, as Iran and Iraq are 2 seperate countries. The Iraqi war and that documentary about Iran are different matters.

ReputationRep:
    bono, not every comment about the middle east is personalised or erroneous. Please, take a more subjective stance - it will be a far more satisfying debate. It seems like a battle of pride rather than a search for the truth/positive and enlightening sharing of opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    1.) No, I also added that they abuse their position at the expense of innocent lives in other nations (middle eastern).

1. So you are contesting that America (through all their foillibles) are the most economically powerful/militarily powerful country in the world?

This has nothing to do with people liking it. It is a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    And I clarified it for you.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)

Breaking the Geneva conventions does not mean that it is an excuse in attacking Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    1. So you are contesting that America (through all their foillibles) are the most economically powerful/militarily powerful country in the world?

This has nothing to do with people liking it. It is a fact.
    1.) Sorry, I was getting confused, that post should have read "Yes, but they also abuse their position blaaahdie blaaah".

I'll edit the post.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.