The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are you sure? Does Afghanistan have sizable oil reserves?

Hence the second part of that sentence. They also used the excuse of revenge for that as well, as in the attitude of, "they caused 9/11th so it's only justice that we screw them as well".
Don't forget those that died in Afghanistan as well Bono. Or are you ignoring those deaths?

Read that post again, I wasn't finished.
Reply 262
bono
I said many times, the those who died in the Iraqi war. In addition, those who died in Afghanistan as well, although I probably concentrated on those who died in the Iraqi war as it has happened more recently.

So since we are on that subject then we can deduce that your stance on the subject is that America should never have attacked Afghanistan, letting the place build up as a terroist base.

The "mass murders" of those people (Iraq + Afgh) you refer to implies that they are prosecutable under law.

Like genocide in teh Balkans. Is that it?
Reply 263
bono
Read that post again, I wasn't finished.
I quoted on what you said.
So since we are on that subject then we can deduce that your stance on the subject is that America should never have attacked Afghanistan, letting the place build up as a terroist base.

The "mass murders" of those people (Iraq + Afgh) you refer to implies that they are prosecutable under law.

Like genocide in teh Balkans. Is that it?

Well, America broke Geneva conventions anyway in their Iraqi invasion (it was technically illegal), so I guess the laws don't really apply to them. As we agreed, they both have the power; of which they abuse.
Reply 265
bono
Hence the second part of that sentence. They also used the excuse of revenge for that as well, as in the attitude of, "they caused 9/11th so it's only justice that we screw them as well".
But you said "MAINLY yes..." so you imply that oil was the MAIN reason for attacking Afghanistan.

The "revenge" part of this argument are only used as an valid reason to attack Al Qaeda-NOT Afghanistan the country or the people inside it.
Reply 266
Hmm, this doesn't seem very productive.
I quoted on what you said.

Yes, but I was adding to it for clarification purposes.
But you said "MAINLY yes..." so you imply that oil was the MAIN reason for attacking Afghanistan.

The "revenge" part of this argument are only used as an valid reason to attack Al Qaeda-NOT Afghanistan the country or the people inside it.

1.) No, for the Iraq nvasion it was mainly oil. I was talking about that in the posts which you found that quote.

2.) I agree, yet the civilians always seem to recieve the punishment for it regardless of what SHOULD happen.
Reply 269
bono
Well, America broke Geneva conventions anyway in their Iraqi invasion (it was technically illegal), so I guess the laws don't really apply to them. As we agreed, they both have the power; of which they abuse.
1. America has the military/economic superiority in this world. Do you wish to contest this?

2. The Geneva convention is useless. Tell me any country that has actually followed this in a time of conflict?
blissy
Hmm, this doesn't seem very productive.

How is a discussion in the debate sub-forum not productive? Yes the general chat threads are more productive? :rolleyes:
So let me get this straight bono.

The BBC produced a negative documentary about Iran as part of a western media conspiracy to make money* and to help encourage the american public's support for the american government to go to war in Iraq for oil and to kill civilians.

This is what your arguements have appeared to come across as to me - if I'm wrong please feel free to enlighten me.

*bearing in mind that the BBC is a non profit making public service broadcaster.
1. America has the military/economic superiority in this world. Do you wish to contest this?

2. The Geneva convention is useless. Tell me any country that has actually followed this in a time of conflict?

1.) No, I also added that they abuse their position at the expense of innocent lives in other nations (middle eastern).

2.) Yes, another excuse for the invasion.
Reply 273
bono
Yes, but I was adding to it for clarification purposes.
And I clarified it for you.
Pencil Queen
So let me get this straight bono.

The BBC produced a negative documentary about Iran as part of a western media conspiracy to make money* and to help encourage the american public's support for the american government to go to war in Iraq for oil and to kill civilians.

This is what your arguements have appeared to come across as to me - if I'm wrong please feel free to enlighten me.

*bearing in mind that the BBC is a non profit making public service broadcaster.

That doesn't make sense, as Iran and Iraq are 2 seperate countries. The Iraqi war and that documentary about Iran are different matters.
Reply 275
bono, not every comment about the middle east is personalised or erroneous. Please, take a more subjective stance - it will be a far more satisfying debate. It seems like a battle of pride rather than a search for the truth/positive and enlightening sharing of opinions.
Reply 276
bono
1.) No, I also added that they abuse their position at the expense of innocent lives in other nations (middle eastern).

1. So you are contesting that America (through all their foillibles) are the most economically powerful/militarily powerful country in the world?

This has nothing to do with people liking it. It is a fact.
And I clarified it for you.

Thanks.
Reply 278
bono

Breaking the Geneva conventions does not mean that it is an excuse in attacking Iraq.
1. So you are contesting that America (through all their foillibles) are the most economically powerful/militarily powerful country in the world?

This has nothing to do with people liking it. It is a fact.

1.) Sorry, I was getting confused, that post should have read "Yes, but they also abuse their position blaaahdie blaaah".

I'll edit the post.

Latest