The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Wow - this thread on 'Age on consent' has radically evolved since I last looked at it this morning! :confused:
We were arguing about the "superiority" of America against the Middle East. And how the Western media was getting "money" and incited America to be superior to the Middle Eastern countries. /"Brainwashing" the public with bad "truths" so an attack would be more acceptable.

Yes.
Reply 302
bono
Yes, that's what I said, the discussion gradually changed. First we discussed Iran, but as the topic was generally to do with Middle eastern nations, it then swayed to Iraq....(inevitably lol).
Yes. It was you who kept changing the arguments etc to try and get an upper hand. First it was "mass murders" line of attack, and now its about the media once again.
So you are implying that before this American invasion that Iraq was better than Iran? Or in the same field as Iran?

I can't judge that, I knew nothing about Iraq beforehand. I can only comment on what I know now. I know what I know about iran, and I've seen the state that Iraq is currently in.
Reply 304
yawn1
Wow - this thread on 'Age on consent' has radically evolved since I last looked at it this morning! :confused:
We were at it at 1 o'clock this morning.
Yes. It was you who kept changing the arguments etc to try and get an upper hand. First it was "mass murders" line of attack, and now its about the media once again.

It's a pretty general topic, there is bound to be digression.
bono
Yes, that's what I said, the discussion gradually changed. First we discussed Iran, but as the topic was generally to do with Middle eastern nations, it then swayed to Iraq....(inevitably lol).

The topic didn't gradually change.

People were discussing Iran and it's negative representation in the media

we were asking you for some examples of the broad accusations you were making (which positives, which negatives)

2776 made an analogy between the media reporting on a nations faults and a teacher reporting a nations faults (implying within that that a positive outcome could come from reporting negative faults - by recognising these faults we take the first step towards solving them - my interpretation)

You misunderstood his analogy and instead of associating the media with the teacher started implying that it was the american government pointing out Iran's faults and *also* trying to correct them by force

You then tried to back up this misunderstanding with examples of how America had treated Iraq - it was this jump in your logic that I completely miss the point on....if you could clarify it I'd be very grateful.
We were at it at 1 o'clock this morning.

Half past one actually :tongue:
Reply 308
bono
I can't judge that, I knew nothing about Iraq beforehand. I can only comment on what I know now. I know what I know about iran, and I've seen the state that Iraq is currently in.
Well havn't you fallen in the same hole that you are trying to dig?

You are saying that Western media report bad things about Middle East (Iraq)

Now you are basing your current views of Iraq ON the western media and comparing it to the Iranian situation.
Pencil Queen
Oh and please bono

Take you time, think through each post....re-read it (and the post it's in reply to) before you hit the post button and decide if there is anything you want to add to it.

Take a couple of seconds to stare out the window and look at the sunshine then re-read it again.

This is a forum not a chatroom - noone will judge you harshly for taking 5-10 minutes to produce a well thought out reply...in fact it's far more preferable than producing 5-10 rashly typed replies within a couple of minutes.

:smile:
Pencil Queen
The topic didn't gradually change.

People were discussing Iran and it's negative representation in the media

we were asking you for some examples of the broad accusations you were making (which positives, which negatives)

2776 made an analogy between the media reporting on a nations faults and a teacher reporting a nations faults (implying within that that a positive outcome could come from reporting negative faults - by recognising these faults we take the first step towards solving them - my interpretation)

You misunderstood his analogy and instead of associating the media with the teacher started implying that it was the american government pointing out Iran's faults and *also* trying to correct them by force

You then tried to back up this misunderstanding with examples of how America had treated Iraq - it was this jump in your logic that I completely miss the point on....if you could clarify it I'd be very grateful.

yes that's pretty much right - My intepretation of the SIMILARITY between USA ---> Middle eastern nations and Teacher ----> Pupil was different to his, clearly.

"You then tried to back up this misunderstanding with examples of how America had treated Iraq - it was this jump in your logic that I completely miss the point on....if you could clarify it I'd be very grateful" - I said "My intepretation of the SIMILARITY between USA ---> Middle eastern nations and Teacher Pupil was different to his, clearly." -Iraq is a middle eastern nation so it was included in this.
Pencil Queen
Oh and please bono

Take you time, think through each post....re-read it (and the post it's in reply to) before you hit the post button and decide if there is anything you want to add to it.

Take a couple of seconds to stare out the window and look at the sunshine then re-read it again.

This is a forum not a chatroom - noone will judge you harshly for taking 5-10 minutes to produce a well thought out reply...in fact it's far more preferable than producing 5-10 rashly typed replies within a couple of minutes.

:smile:

My replies weren't rash, they were my opinions.
Reply 312
bono
My replies weren't rash, they were my opinions.

But you could consolidate 5 replies in 1 minutes into one larger reply, surely?
bono
yes that's pretty much right - My intepretation of the SIMILARITY between USA ---> Middle eastern nations and Teacher Pupil was different to his, clearly.

"You then tried to back up this misunderstanding with examples of how America had treated Iraq - it was this jump in your logic that I completely miss the point on....if you could clarify it I'd be very grateful" - I said "My intepretation of the SIMILARITY between USA ---> Middle eastern nations and Teacher Pupil was different to his, clearly." -Iraq is a middle eastern nation so it was included in this.

But surely as 2776 has repeatedly said his analogy was not intended to be interpreted the way you interpreted it and was far more specific (media => Iran not West => Middle East) then you're bring up of Iraq and all of the subsequant bickering is beside the point.

Unless you believe your interpretation to be of more relevence to the discussion than 2776's intended interpretation?
Reply 314
bono
yes that's pretty much right - My intepretation of the SIMILARITY between USA ---> Middle eastern nations and Teacher ----> Pupil was different to his, clearly.

We argued for more than 6 pages. And now do you finally see that I did not steal "your" analogy.

And also since PQ has seen through my analogy, why didn't you? It was explained nicely.

Yet you kept going on and on and on about how it was none existent.
Pencil Queen
But surely as 2776 has repeatedly said his analogy was not intended to be interpreted the way you interpreted it and was far more specific (media => Iran not West => Middle East) then you're bring up of Iraq and all of the subsequant bickering is beside the point.

Unless you believe your interpretation to be of more relevence to the discussion than 2776's intended interpretation?

Yes, I interpreted it differently. I still think that my interpretation was more accurate than his, to that of real-life.

And yes, I feel my interpretation was of more relevance.
blissy
But you could consolidate 5 replies in 1 minutes into one larger reply, surely?

Not when I'm quoting 5 different posts which ask different things or raise different points.
bono
Yes, i interpreted it differently. I still think that my interpretation was more accurate to that of real-life.

Possibly - but it was far far *less* relevent to the topic that was being discussed at the time.

And yes, i feel my interpretation was of more relevance.

So if I say:

"the sky is blue"

and you interpret that as

"the grass is orange"

everyone else should spend 6 pages of posts trying to explain the original intention and once the original intention is clear you will insist that your interpretation is more relevent?
Yet you kept going on and on and on about how it was none existent.

Until you explained it later on, then yes. It still seems farfetched and not representatitve of the real-life situation despite your explanations.
Reply 319
bono
Until you explained it later on, then yes. It still seems farfetched and not representatitve of the real-life situation despite your explanations.
Despite my best explainations, the sky will always be green to you.

Also, my point above on the media - Iraq - Iran situation needs to be resolved. And which you ignored.

Latest

Trending

Trending