Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    TV, newspapers, book, internet...Yes.

AS do you get your information from. And most of them are trustworthy. And you can discern most of the sources whether they are trustworthy or not.

And wht is wrong with using those sources of information?
    How? I've been there 3 times, and people that I know have been there, so I tend to use these sources more.

Most of them do their best to try and portray a negative outlook on a country, purposefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Well, I'm sure you haven't visited EVERYWHERE in Iran, I'm sure if these things do go on they don't flaunt it.
    I wasn't criticising 2776's judgements, I was saying that the sources of these judgements may try and portray a negative picture of a country and hence it may not be totally reflective of that country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well 2776 is (unusually) wrong.
    Yes fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    If we had to actually visit somewhere or experience something before we could advance an opinion we wouldn't have much to talk about would we?
    Exactly! And even if you HAVE been there/done that, it doesn't make you the font of all knowledge. In fact, you opinion is likely to be more subjective than that of an objective non-profit making news reporting organisation.

ReputationRep:
    Well 2776 is (unusually) wrong.
    I stand corrected:

14 Illegals
    5 Law invalidated
    11 Law repealed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I wasn't criticising 2776's judgements, I was saying that the sources of these judgements may try and portray a negative picture of a country and hence it may not be totally reflective of that country.
    Sounded more like "I've been there, you haven't. I'm right, you're wrong so go away and shut up" to me. Besides, we are alladult enough to know that there are two sides to every story.

edit: Aren't we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    How? I've been there 3 times, and people that I know have been there, so I tend to use these sources more.

Most of them do their best to try and portray a negative outlook on a country, purposefully.
    3 times only? Thats not a basis for a valid opinon. Considering most of the journalist et al have been staying there for over 5+ years.

People you know tend to say good things about their country, and be subjective about it.

Most of the media try to do this? Sorry, but wheres the evidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Sounded more like "I've been there, you haven't. I'm right, you're wrong so go away and shut up" to me. Besides, we are alladult enough to know that there are two sides to every story.

edit: Aren't we?
    I never said or implied that. I just said that some sources when reporting on middle eastern countries often tend to be overly negative in their portrayal of that country, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I stand corrected:

14 Illegals
    5 Law invalidated
    11 Law repealed
    I don't follow. The Supreme court said in 2003 that all anti-sodomy laws are invalid. That's a federal court decision and applies to ALL states. Am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    I don't follow. The Supreme court said in 2003 that all anti-sodomy laws are invalid. That's a federal court decision and applies to ALL states. Am I missing something?
    Ahh, good one. Source is out of date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I never said or implied that. I just said that some sources when reporting on middle eastern countries often tend to be overly negative in their portrayal of that country, that's all.
    Evidence?

And middle Eastern countries' media don't do that to the Western world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    3 times only? Thats not a basis for a valid opinon. Considering most of the journalist et al have been staying there for over 5+ years.

People you know tend to say good things about their country, and be subjective about it.

Most of the media try to do this? Sorry, but wheres the evidence?
    True, but they tend to focus on one side (making it seem as bad as possible) and tend to "leave out" other details. there are certain glaring things about Iran that have never even been mentioned on TV, yet other "smaller" things are often emphasized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Evidence?

And middle Eastern countries' media don't do that to the Western world?
    Yes they do that to the Western world as well, I agree. This is my point, the sources will have bias. No doubt people in Iraq/Iran will probably have negative opinions about England/USA due to TV/Media/Papers etc.

EDIT: Iranian people have a good perception of british people but a not so good perception of US people, from what I know/been told.

ReputationRep:
    But getting back to the point - Child brides and the age of consent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    True, but they tend to focus on one side (making it seem as bad as possible) and tend to "leave out" other details. there are certain glaring things about Iran that have never even been mentioned on TV, yet other "smaller" things are often emphasized.
    Well no doubt the truth has been reported. And no matter what it is, it is the truth.

After all it isn't state controlled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I saw a documentary about Iran, was interesting to say the least, what obvious facts do they ignore/small things get emphasized?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes they do that to the Western world as well, I agree. This is my point, the sources will have bias. No doubt people in Iraq/Iran will probably have negative opinions about England/USA due to TV/Media/Papers etc.

EDIT: Iranian people have a good perception of british people but a not so good perception of US people, from what I know/been told.
    Your edit suggests that you are sterotyping the Iranian people. What you know/been told will be under bias as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Your edit suggests that you are sterotyping the Iranian people. What you know/been told will be under bias as well.
    Well obviously, I meant "generally".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Well, obviously the word generally has no meaning. You can't represent anyone.

And please reply to Absolution's post made above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    You can't stereotype in any other way can you? I'd have thought all stereotypes must be "general" :confused:

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.