The Student Room Group

Failed my third year, what are my options help please!!!

Hello,
The situation is:
I have failed my first year at uni, I wasn't expecting the work load and didn't understand the expectations required of me.
So I repeated my first year, unfortunately I submitted one of my courseworks late, and the teacher didn't like me due to my poor attendance, so she failed me, after the board meeting decided that I have failed the year and could not resubmit that one module in the summer.
So I had to repeat that first year module again (I payed the tuition fees for this module myself)
Then I went into my second year, it wasn't a smooth ride but I passed with a 2:1, however during that year I became very paranoid and depressed (I have now been diagnosed with depression) and there were other medical problems i.e.. had an operation. Everyone kept commenting on my good work but I was very self critical, I hated everything I done and I hated myself.
So I went into third year with a lot of pressure on my shoulders and this notion of getting a first class degree by any means necessary, bottom line I was having bad side effects from my antidepressants, I stressed myself out and after my first crit had a mental breakdown, after a lot of bad decisions and struggles the university allowed me to defer the year.
So I went back to do my third year, and even though I was doing better (well so I thought, as I been taking my meds and seeing a therapist) it was not enough, after the fist month the cracks started to show, and I was falling down the vicious cycle that was my depression, I tried my hardest to make sure uni knew about my situation, it was still done badly but I tried.
I missed my dissertation hand in as I couldn't do the work due to my state of mind (my medication made me forgetful, couldn't concentrate or retain information) I really didn't want to fail, I had a meeting with a personal tutor he encouraged me to push forward and submit the extenuating circumstance, I submitted the extenuating circumstance late after the deadline.
Then the ripple effect continued as I was now behind with everything. I submitted some work for the next deadline, but it wasn't enough and I failed that submission.
It was only in the last month and a half that I got my act together and started producing work. So at the end I passed my design modules with a 58, but failed the dissertation and the technical report.
I really hoped that the university would let me resubmit in the summer, as I am now better and I really want this degree.
Unfortunately they failed me, they are not letting me resubmit and I'm leaving uni after six years with a diploma of higher education.

I really want to finish my third year and get a degree, can anybody tell me my options, if I have any.
I know I made a big mess of things, but despite everything I do want to do well.

Is it possible for me to go and complete my third year in another university or is this it for me?

In terms of finance: student finance paid for 4 years of my education, if I can redo my third year in another uni will student finance support me?

Thank you.
-Unfortunately they failed me, they are not letting me resubmit and I'm leaving uni after six years with a diploma of higher education.

They may have capped in the university rules that you must complete you degree in 6 years. 6 years would be the max amount of time if architecture was studied part time, its written in the handbook that you normally get when you first sign up. Let me get this right, you failed the hand in during the normal deadline, and failed again after the extension?
If they have not allowed you to do the summer extension, I think you can reapply for mitigating circumstances only with additional evidence**. I don't know if you have mentor, or a therapist to write a letter to the university saying what has happened in the last 12 months and how you need extra time to complete the work.

But it sounds like you have submitted work and it failed, in which case you can't do anything as you already submitted work, suggesting you were fit enough to do so. However, with the dissertation, if you got between 30-40% you should be allowed to resubmit during summer school, as a re-sit but it would be capped at 40%.
What should of happened was, you shouldn't of handed in anything and just submitted mitigating circumstances for the final final deadline for submission. Then handed all the work at the final deadline.

Its hard to say without knowing each module you have submitted work for, but it sounds like you can get an extension for the summer deadline for the design but you had your mitigating circumstances rejected. If can appeal, get more evidence and mention additional things in the letters to the university by the therapist and any other medical professions and tutor if possible.
If its a case of appeal, do it. You got like a month left? If you can just a pass on each module and pass with a degree even if its a 2.2. It would be a shame to miss out on this, especially since you paid for the retake years and spent 6 years in school!

-Is it possible for me to go and complete my third year in another university or is this it for me?
You might be able to re-sit the year at another university but you have to apply like now for september start, each university will be different. Some may ask you to start from second year entry.
It depends if you want to be an architect, if you do, then you have to have a part 1. If you don't want to be an architect, then your diploma is okay and there's nothing wrong with that.

-In terms of finance: student finance paid for 4 years of my education, if I can redo my third year in another uni will student finance support me?
Unfortunately not in your case. They don't suppose additional fees for retakes, only if it was a false start (for one year) which you have already used up in first year. Had you not used it, then you would have been eligible.

If you ever plan to study architecture again, it sounds like you should study it part time. It would give you less stress.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending