The Student Room Group

Tattoos and employment

(not sure if this is the right section for this topic, but I'm hoping to start up a discussion with my personal example)

I've been seriously considering getting the side of my hand tattooed for a while now. It's nothing big nor offensive and it has very personal meaning to me (which I know is completely irrelevant to whether my potential employer will like it). I already have quite a large one on my back that is very easily covered and my colleagues didn't even know existed until about a month ago!

I've heard some stories about people refusing to hire employees based on hand tattoos. Visible tattoos in general are still a bit of a sticking point with employers. However, I have heard stories of doctors and lawyers becoming more tattooed as times change

I don't believe that having tattoos, unless they are offensive (for example I would never get swearwords or anarchist symbols and that tattooed for employment reasons), should affect employment, but they obviously do.

I think it depends on what jobs you're going for, whether you'll be a 'representative' of the company to the general public for example, but what is your guys take on this, and maybe some general advice for my tattoo as well in regards to employment?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending