Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much money on average would one spend per week while at university(excluding accomodation)? I would ,however, be staying in catered residences- i presume that would reduce spending slightly.
    Appreciated. ANN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
    How much money on average would one spend per week while at university(excluding accomodation)? I would ,however, be staying in catered residences- i presume that would reduce spending slightly.
    Appreciated. ANN.
    I was told here that when applying for bursaries they assume you spend £70 a week (excl. rent).

ReputationRep:
    I don't spend a lot. Most weeks my expenditure is around £30-40 most of which is on food.

ReputationRep:
    £40-50 including food and going out 2/3 times a week.

ReputationRep:
    I probably spend about £40 a week, I don't go out much but spend a lot of nights in with my housemates, a couple of bottles of wine and excessive amounts of junk food, which is where all my money goes! The downside of living opposite the Co-op!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
    Appreciated. ANN.
    I spend a depressingly large amount, mostly on getting drunk . Probably only spend £15-20 a week on food but I think a total of about £70 isn't unreasonable per week, and I regularly spend more than that. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to go out on a tenner very often so when I go out it costs me about £30 (fiver club entry, 20-25 quid on beer, couple of quid on a kebab or chips & cheese)- if I have a big week and go out 4 times in it and I can easily spend £150....

ReputationRep:
    I budget for £100 a week on going out etc. I'm in catered accommodation too, which is handy.

ReputationRep:
    and double it! Also look at it monthly as some expenses are paid in the first week of every month e.g. Gym membersgips, Car Insurance, TV licence etc..

ReputationRep:
    I'm at manc which is a relatively cheap city, but still manage to spend about £100 a week..even if u catered i assume ull have 2 get lunch out etc, and theres going out...and also def budget more in ure first term than second coz will be goin out a lot more. u could get by on less tho, especially if u spend less on alcohol!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all for your posts. seems to be there is no straight answer- logical really. Once again you are very much appreciated and of course answers were top notch. Well played team!
    ANN.

ReputationRep:
    i spent £350 a month which is about £90 a week.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Being rather sad when it comes to university I am tracking everything I spend at universitys so as to write up an article on my website about it at the end of the year. So far Ive spent £3834 which includeds tuition fees for the whole year but not my accommodation for next term. I would guess I spend around £30-40 (not including self catered accom) a week most of which goes on food but look out for a full breakdown of my spending habbits in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any idea what figure this would be if you were studying in London, a lot lot higher I presume?

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon overall its cheaper to stay in catered accomodation than stay in self-catered and buy food?

ReputationRep:
    how much does a night out approximatilvely cost in london

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Do you reckon overall its cheaper to stay in catered accomodation than stay in self-catered and buy food?
    I have never experianced catered accommoation apart from my interview at Pembroke (Ox) where I wasn't payinf, so I couldn't give an exact answer. I would say it depends on what you buy and how well you can cook. If you buy a lot of ready meals, take aways, and tesco finest it will probably be more expensive. If you know how to cook and don't mind tesco value it will be cheaper.

When thinking about catering remember to factor in the quality of the catered food, whether you are going to be around/awake for meals, the distance to the nearest supermarket, as well as the general costs of things.

ReputationRep:
    A night out in london can cost a lot more than say, manchester...if u wanna go to even an average club can cost between £10 and £15 just to get in, and drinks are v overpriced. however, find student nights and u can get cheaper, eg tuesday night £6 gardening club covent garden, weds nights £4 cheapskates greek street...ull get to know which nights are cheap, but including travel and everything u can still end up spending about £30-£40 a night on these student nights if u buy too many drinks! my advice is def drink before u go out! (although a shot a cheapskates is 60p!)

ReputationRep:
    oh, and the catered thing - dont think it that much cheaper in the long run as a lot of people dont like the food, they have to buy lunch anyway, and they don't get up for breakfast - some of my friends in catered accommodation end up spending same amount on food as i do in self-catered. then again, if ure not fussy and can be bothered 2 get up for breakfast, then in theory its cheaper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel_manc)
    A night out in london can cost a lot more than say, manchester...if u wanna go to even an average club can cost between £10 and £15 just to get in, and drinks are v overpriced. however, find student nights and u can get cheaper, eg tuesday night £6 gardening club covent garden, weds nights £4 cheapskates greek street...ull get to know which nights are cheap, but including travel and everything u can still end up spending about £30-£40 a night on these student nights if u buy too many drinks! my advice is def drink before u go out! (although a shot a cheapskates is 60p!)
    The Gardening Club has free entry on Mondays.

ReputationRep:
    Rachel_manc and dazmanultra are you both at the uni of london, if so what university? I'm not being werid I just need to ask you some questions, if you don't mind?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.