Can anyone help me with 'The Cell Cycle'?

Watch
Cookiedoughwow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know what it is, I don't understand what they mean by 'The role/importance of the cell cycle"
LouieSax
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It means basically why do we need the cell cycle for example mitosis is needed for growth and repair. Meiosis on the other hand is needed to increase variety, maintain the diploid number at fertilisation and to produce haploid gametes.

I hope this helps
jadpan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The cell cycle is not mitosis and mitosis is instead part of the cell cycle. I can't quite remember if I am mixing up A level and degree but are you refering to the G1, S, G2, M cell cycle. If so basically it is a control of cellular replication and life span. Between the stages there are 'check points' where the DNA is checked for damage and the conditions for suitability to divide. One important example of this is p53 which I think imposes G1 restriction, it causes cells with damaged DNA to undergo apoptosis and thus acts as a tumor supressor gene. In cases of mutant p53 cells may not be arrested in G1 which may result in their uncontrollable replication or immortality. I am.not sure if this helps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (39)
48.15%
No, they should still go ahead (19)
23.46%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (23)
28.4%

Watched Threads