The Student Room Group

How are you meant to take this corner?

It sounds like a strange question but there's a junction that I sometimes have to use that feels impossible, even in first gear at like 5mph. It is basically a U turn to the left.

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.906805,-1.719021,3a,75y,49.07h,59.62t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s8uXzDghVc9R_VoOyJ-mTmg!2e0

I've tried it twice and both times I've had to go on to the other side of the road. Second time there was cars there so I stopped to wait until they went but a guy let me round.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to turn left there correctly. Maybe I am doing it right and you are meant to use the other side of the road when safe to do so but it doesn't feel right. I just recently passed my test and didn't have to practice that road on lessons or anything like it. It's also the only junction I know of that is almost a 180 turn.
Reply 1
All I can think of, so you're not coasting, is bring your foot up on the clutch ever so slightly, but don't touch the accelerator. Instead have your right foot on the brake, pressing on it slightly, so you literally crawl around that corner. That's all I can think of if you're turning the steering wheel quick enough, and can't get around it normally.
Reply 2
Are you on full lock as you do the turn? As in, are you steered as far as the steering wheel will turn? Read up on the 'racing line', the line which is the most efficient way to go around a corner. You start wide, so go as far to the right and possibly slightly into the other side of the road on the approach, and then aim to just miss the curb on the inside of the turn with your wheels, just as you're in the middle of the turn, and then end up almost or slightly going into the other lane as you exit the turn. Obviously you're not racing, but it'll help you out all the same. Like this:

I reckon I could get my estate around that corner in the picture without too much trouble, so with some practice you should be ok.
Reply 3
That's a good idea Nuffles. I think I am probably taking it in the middle of my lane rather than more towards the right of it. Problem is the lanes are quite narrow to begin with. Got to be very careful if you're going to take it by starting a little on the right lane though. Could be that I'm not achieving full lock too.

The keep clear on the other side (which is now a yellow box) does mean you can go into it a little bit on the turn but that's there for the back of the houses rather than the turn I would assume.
It's tight enough to warrant using the other side of the road
Reply 5
I'd probably swing out to the middle of the road, if there was nothing coming I'd probably risk second gear
Reply 6
Left hand indicator on.
Pull up a couple of car lengths before the junction if there is traffic coming from the opposite direction.
When the oncoming lane is clear move out into it then turn sharp left into the junction.

If there's no traffic in the oncoming lane, straddle the white lines, indicator on and turn in to the junction.
Reply 7
I have had the exact same problem on the exact same road! So I always approach from the other way haha
Reply 8
Original post by Chris_23
I have had the exact same problem on the exact same road! So I always approach from the other way haha

I could certainly avoid it but the problem is when I need that turn I'm coming from Tanfield direction and the junction is just round the corner once I exit on to the A692. I could go via Tantobie and into Burnopfield that way but it's a bit of a detour. I only need the road every other week so I'll probably do that.
I reckon if you if you go as far right as you can in your lane and turn with full lock then you should be able to do it fine. Take it slow at first until you discover the right line.
Original post by Sephiroth
It sounds like a strange question but there's a junction that I sometimes have to use that feels impossible, even in first gear at like 5mph. It is basically a U turn to the left.

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.906805,-1.719021,3a,75y,49.07h,59.62t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s8uXzDghVc9R_VoOyJ-mTmg!2e0

I've tried it twice and both times I've had to go on to the other side of the road. Second time there was cars there so I stopped to wait until they went but a guy let me round.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to turn left there correctly. Maybe I am doing it right and you are meant to use the other side of the road when safe to do so but it doesn't feel right. I just recently passed my test and didn't have to practice that road on lessons or anything like it. It's also the only junction I know of that is almost a 180 turn.

I don't think you're supposed to turn left there, is there a sign saying no left turn as you approach this slip road?
Original post by Le Franglais
I don't think you're supposed to turn left there, is there a sign saying no left turn as you approach this slip road?

You can turn left, there is a sign further up the road indicating a left turn coming up.
Reply 12
I don't know why the council don't improve the junction, like cut a few trees down and make the junction further up the hill. I bet there's been so many crashes there over the years. But it's probably a typical case of all the transport money being spent in London while a fraction is spent in the northeast.
Reply 13
I don't know why the council don't improve the junction, like cut a few trees down and make the junction further up the hill. I bet there's been so many crashes there over the years. But it's probably a typical case of all the transport money being spent in London while a fraction is spent in the northeast.

It'd be a pretty ridiculous gradient if it was that far up the hill to actually make the turning less sharp.
Reply 14
Original post by dhr90
It'd be a pretty ridiculous gradient if it was that far up the hill to actually make the turning less sharp.

I don't think it would be that bad if it was put where the sign for the junction is.

There's loads of hills with that kind of gradient in Gateshead and Durham. It's a hilly area so drivers would be more used to that than a U turn corner.
Reply 15
I don't think it would be that bad if it was put where the sign for the junction is.

There's loads of hills with that kind of gradient in Gateshead and Durham. It's a hilly area so drivers would be more used to that than a U turn corner.

There is a sign for the junction? I went up the hill as far as the tractors turning sign and saw nothing about the junction, the only ones I can spot are those indicating the right hand bend before the junction. If you mean at the black and white arrowed sign, you're looking at dropping two stories in a space about 6-8 metres wide, that is a roughly 45-50 degree gradient, which will never be allowed today. Not to mention if a vehicles brakes failed going down the hill and the junction was there they would plough right into a house. Better that they hit the armco and that just takes them round to the right.

It is a poor junction to be fair, and if it was designed today I'd expect it to be a no left turn rather than as it is now.
Reply 16
Yeah I guess you're right there, it is too steep in the spot I was thinking about (right where the barriers start)

When I use that junction I'm coming from Barcusclose Ln and heading to New road/Busty Bank so you can see it's almost a full square to avoid it. According to Google it's 0.6 miles vs 2.5 miles. I guess the best thing to do is to just pass the road and turn around on that little area past the Pack Horse pub, that is 1.2 miles. I'm using that junction again on Saturday so I might just do that rather than attempt the turn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending