The Student Room Group

Question about buying GCSE Books - Homeschooled.

Hey all.
So, I'm homeschooled and about to start studying for my GCSE's. I've heard a lot of good things about the books from Collins so I think I'm most likely going to get those, however I have a question some of you may be able to answer regarding which books to buy.
For their revision books, each subject has a foundation book and a higher book. Budget is tight for me, so will I be able to get good grades with only the higher book and does the higher book also cover what's in the foundation book, or do I need to buy and complete both to have a good chance?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Hi!

What subjects do you do?
I'd say some revision guides are better than others, so it's probably best not to stick with one company :smile:

What grades do you think you'll be getting?
I'd say get the higher books in everything, because you should always aim to get those grades.
Of course, if there's a subject you know you'll be put in for foundation tier in, there'd be no point getting the higher book.

Hope this helps, Caitlin.
As a whole I would say CGP revision guides are by far the best for sciences and maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tjb4077
Hey all.
So, I'm homeschooled and about to start studying for my GCSE's. I've heard a lot of good things about the books from Collins so I think I'm most likely going to get those, however I have a question some of you may be able to answer regarding which books to buy.
For their revision books, each subject has a foundation book and a higher book. Budget is tight for me, so will I be able to get good grades with only the higher book and does the higher book also cover what's in the foundation book, or do I need to buy and complete both to have a good chance?

Thanks.

I have a Collins revision guide for Science and it's okay but personally I prefer the CGP revision guides much better.

The Higher revision guides will cover all content, so just get them. Most of the Foundation stuff will be covered in the Higher revision guides too.
Reply 4
Original post by Folami 123
As a whole I would say CGP revision guides are by far the best for sciences and maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by yellowcopter
I have a Collins revision guide for Science and it's okay but personally I prefer the CGP revision guides much better.

The Higher revision guides will cover all content, so just get them. Most of the Foundation stuff will be covered in the Higher revision guides too.

Really? I was getting CGP guides but I kept being told how awful they were and how much better Collins was so I decided to start getting them instead.

Original post by Caitlin_3008
Hi!

What subjects do you do?
I'd say some revision guides are better than others, so it's probably best not to stick with one company :smile:

What grades do you think you'll be getting?
I'd say get the higher books in everything, because you should always aim to get those grades.
Of course, if there's a subject you know you'll be put in for foundation tier in, there'd be no point getting the higher book.

Hope this helps, Caitlin.

Planning to do Science, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, ICT and maybe English, aiming for higher grades in all of them so will just go for higher.
Original post by tjb4077
Really? I was getting CGP guides but I kept being told how awful they were and how much better Collins was so I decided to start getting them instead.

Planning to do Science, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, ICT and maybe English, aiming for higher grades in all of them so will just go for higher.

I would say they are in no way awful. In my experience of using both (for Science only though, unsure about any other subjects) I found I understood a lot more with the CGP guides (which break down the information and make it a lot more easy to understand). With the Collins guide they tell you the information, but they don't elaborate, explain or make it simple to understand.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you don't have much money try charity shops (Oxfam is usually good for this where I live) or second-hand book shops. Amazon usually sells books second-hand very cheap and they are normally in very good condition. In my opinion, Collins is overpriced and CGP are comparatively very accessible.

Quick Reply

Latest