ninya98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was looking into AS level ICT as an option, but I don't have a GCSE in it. It isn't compulsory to have a GCSE in it at the college to take the course, but is there much point without the prior knowledge, or will it be okay?
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ninya98)
I was looking into AS level ICT as an option, but I don't have a GCSE in it. It isn't compulsory to have a GCSE in it at the college to take the course, but is there much point without the prior knowledge, or will it be okay?
Hey there, I'm just going to move this to the Computer Science forum for you as you should get a response there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=132
NitroN1ck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Errr, well I have OCR Nationals Level 2 IT and i've found the course OK. I am at A2 now but do have an interest in this subject area and would like a career in it. Do you know what exam board it would be on?
Harjot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its fine, however I'd recommend you take computer science if its available instead of ICT as it is far more useful and valued than ICT, and/or maths if you are aiming for a career of some sort in IT.

I'll probably get hate for this but I feel ICT "teaches" how to use software and not that great a subject, whereas computer science teaches you how to solve problems and create software.
NitroN1ck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Harjot)
I'll probably get hate for this but I feel ICT "teaches" how to use software and not that great a subject, whereas computer science teaches you how to solve problems and create software.
Totally agree. And i feel that Computer Science is more of an academic subject!
But I am currently studying A Level OCR IT and have find it is a great course and so much more in depth!
Lori McCully
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally, I found AS ICT easier having the GCSE background as the course is repeated a lot but I know several people who did not do it for GCSE and go on just fine. If you're willing to do the work and are interested in it you should be fine
ScruffyQuaver
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do ICT and Computer Science, no maths here :P

To be fair, Computer Science is not thaaat mathsy, it has quite a bit of alegbra and stuff but nothing a grade B at GCSE cant figure out.

Anyways, ICT - What's the exam board? If its WJEC like me, the average grade is a U in the uk. BUT if you can already use IT programs it really isnt that hard. The theory is like using IT in schools,hospitals,work,online,ho me.... its fairly straightforward but REALLY specific.

If I had a choice, either Computing Science OR ICT.... Hands down Computer Science > ICT.

It IS a much better choice but you need a problem solving brain!
kastiel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I took OCR ICT as an A-Level (Non-Applied), without having done GCSE ICT (single or double), and I have never found that to be a disadvantage.

The only maths I have ever needed is basic addition (really, just like 12+15 etc)

But, if you do have the option to choose Computer Science, take it!
ninya98
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks everyone! The maths shouldnt be a problem anyway, and the exam board for ICT is AQA, which I've heard isn't that good anyway. Luckily, the college does have computing as an option, so I'll check it out on the Pre-enrolment days tomorrow
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (136)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
26.74%
Not great so far... (274)
35.91%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed