History or Religious Studies at A-level? Watch

FatmanO
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to take a humanities to compliment my sciences, I enjoy both. How hard are they and which one is better? Thanks
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FatmanO)
I want to take a humanities to compliment my sciences, I enjoy both. How hard are they and which one is better? Thanks
It's really only you who can decide. I think it's a really good idea to do a humanity with your sciences, though. It should give you a much more well- rounded perspective on things.

Do you know what you want to study at university?

It's hard to say which one is better, really.

returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Both are conventional, traditional subjects. Neither is 'better' than the other.
Choose the one you think you will enjoy the most as that will probably result in the better grade.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Religious Studies is not a traditional subject. However History is.

In doing both at AS (having not doing both at GCSE) it was a new, nice experience for me. I think it really depends on what you like. I ended up dropping history just simply because it was too narrow and only focused on certain someone (Mussolini) which to me, was not History. RS, was way more varied. I'd say History had way more content, but RS was more varied, thus being more entertaining to actually study. I still don't get half the stuff I learned at AS, and hardly understanding ANYTHING in A2, but I think it's far much more interesting than History.

Just depends on what you like to be honest. I'm sure your college or sixth form will have an induction day (usually in July) to give you a "taste" on what you shall be studying. If you don't get the chance to choose the subjects you want to be in, then come Sept you should have an allowance for up to 3 weeks to swap and pick your A-levels.
cheeriosarenice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
Religious Studies is not a traditional subject. However History is.

In doing both at AS (having not doing both at GCSE) it was a new, nice experience for me. I think it really depends on what you like. I ended up dropping history just simply because it was too narrow and only focused on certain someone (Mussolini) which to me, was not History. RS, was way more varied. I'd say History had way more content, but RS was more varied, thus being more entertaining to actually study. I still don't get half the stuff I learned at AS, and hardly understanding ANYTHING in A2, but I think it's far much more interesting than History.

Just depends on what you like to be honest. I'm sure your college or sixth form will have an induction day (usually in July) to give you a "taste" on what you shall be studying. If you don't get the chance to choose the subjects you want to be in, then come Sept you should have an allowance for up to 3 weeks to swap and pick your A-levels.
What exam board are you doing religious studies on?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cheeriosarenice)
What exam board are you doing religious studies on?
I finished my A-levels in June. However, I was on OCR
FatmanO
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
I finished my A-levels in June. However, I was on OCR
I chose religious studies what di you get
DebkoX
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would say both are equal, history probably a little higher. I do history, and I love history, its undeniably my favourite subject. RS is also interesting! Its really up to you. Sadly my college only offers 'Islamic Studies' and thats what put me off, not because I'm Islamaphobic. But because I don't like being restricted to one. Looking at it, that would have been a superb correlation with History (Crusaders)
Sullstar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do both History and Religious Studies (Philosophy) and while History is my favourite subject (want to do it at uni), I must say I find Religious Studies really interesting and probably overall a little easier than History, but it's personal preference so you should decide.
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
History
Bit go with religious studies if you have a huge interest in it.
Choice is dependent on you, not us people on TSR.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FatmanO)
I chose religious studies what di you get
It was my hardest, most hated subject but somehow I managed to get a B!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed