The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

5 a day is 'light'?
Original post by RHyoudon'kno
5 a day is 'light'?

Yes. The average smoker smokes a whole packet (twenty cigarettes) a day.
Reply 3
If you smoke every day you will die of some form of cancer (typically lung, throat or mouth cancer). That is a fact.

/thread.
5 a day is nowhere near light - try 1 or 2 a day.

No, not over-hyped at all.

I think there are better things you could spend your money on - cigarettes are expensive. Also, it smells (which is actually one of my main concerns - shallow, I know, but I dated a lady for 3 months a long time ago and she stunk like an ash tray), can cause extremely damaging health complications and harm others in the process.

Then again, everyone is free to spend their money, life and time as they wish. I just hope my children don't pick up the habit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Thaladan

I smoke that many. And every one of them post-coital
Not over hyped at all.
Original post by Thaladan

What about passive smoking. People are getting affected by passive smoking. Smoking needs to be over hyped otherwise people around the smokers are going to get affected. 5 a day seems a lot to me.
No. This is GCSE level biology.
No, I don't think they are overhyped.
You 'did research into it'? What did that consist of? Browsing the web for 10 minutes before making this thread?

The dangers of smoking have been researched by scientists for years and yes it is dangerous and very bad for you.

Even if the dangers are slightly exaggerated, are the benefits of it really worth the risks? Even if you don't get cancer, you'll die younger than if you didn't smoke and it makes you look and smell horrible.
Of course they are! Who doesn't wouldn't want to have a risk of having lung cancer, liver problems and heart diseases? Not to mention your blood flow being slowed down and the lovely risks of having asthma! With all this Info i can say that smoking is definitely overhyped and everyone should smoke... (sarcastic please don't!)

Please get real. Even if you don't get any of the above you are still hurting your body and doctors/scientist/health assessors/everyone else have a right to be concerned. :\
Nicotine is an addictive substance - so your 'light' five a day will eventually not give you the benefit, so you start smoking more.

And people saying that we should be free to do what we like, I completely agree with this as long as it doesn't affect others, but smoking does. Passive smoking is every bit as deadly as first hand smoking.
Reply 13
Yeah. Smoking is perfectly safe. It's really good for you. It decreases your chances of developing lung cancer and virtually eliminates any risk of developing bronchitis or emphysema. Furthermore, cigarette smoke smells very pleasant, and the tar tastes really delicious. Bottom line: smoking is good for you, it's a healthy habit, it's good for society, and I respect people who smoke, I think they're great.
Original post by Stinkum
Yeah. Smoking is perfectly safe. It's really good for you. It decreases your chances of developing lung cancer and virtually eliminates any risk of developing bronchitis or emphysema. Furthermore, cigarette smoke smells very pleasant, and the tar tastes really delicious. Bottom line: smoking is good for you, it's a healthy habit, it's good for society, and I respect people who smoke, I think they're great.

you forgot to mention that smoking attracts ladies. you will have to buy some lady-repellent if you intend to keep on smoking.
The higher end risks such as lung cancer are certainly over-hyped.

According to Professor Sir Richard Doll (the man who first discovered a correlation between smoking and lung cancer in the 1950s) research suggests that if you start smoking as a teenager and quit aged 30, the risk of developing lung cancer is 2 per cent; give up at 50 and the risk goes up to 8 per cent; give up at 70 (by which time you have been smoking for more than 50 years) and the risk rises to 16 per cent

http://www.forestonline.org/info/smoking-and-health/

Only a neurotic would consider those odds truly threatening; you should be far more concerned with the risks associated with red meats and the pollution fumes of metropolitan areas. As a smoker I can say I'm far more concerned with the likes of gum and eye damage.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Birkenhead

Only a neurotic would consider those odds truly threatening; you should be far more concerned with the risks associated with red meats.

wat
Original post by PsychadelicScarf
Passive smoking is every bit as deadly as first hand smoking.

Total nonsense. Even air pollution has been found to be more damaging than passive smoking.1 Please do your research before posting opinions.
Original post by bertstare
wat

Google is your friend.
Original post by Birkenhead
Google is your friend.

Red meat has never been shown to have anything more than a correlational link to morbidity, it's possible there are some risks when over consumed (as with anything) but to seriously suggest it's even in the same realm as smoking's direct impact on various cancers is ludicrous

Latest