The Student Room Group

Physics A-level advice to a student just finishing GCSEs

Hello, I'm hoping to do the following a-levels next year: maths (with mechanics), chemistry, english lit, physics. I'm hoping to pursue a career in engineering (fingers-crossed) just because of my pure love for physics and maths. Last year, I took some of my gcses early such as science and maths so this year I am doing further maths. Is there any advice you could give me on taking physics as an a-level? I heard that it is the hardest a-level. Thanks for your help! :smile:
If you enjoy it as a subject, as for ANY subject, you are likely to find it more straightforward than the subjects you don't like :nah: . Even if you do find it slightly challenging, so long as you are willing to work for it (which you sound like you would), then it's not going to be a chore in your eyes :h:

I thoroughly enjoyed A-level Physics and found my Biology A-level harder as a consequence :lol:
Hiya,

I am currently doing physics, maths chemistry and geography a level.

I can see why physics has being deemed the hardest a level - challenging is an understatement.

On the first lesson of my a level physics we got told 'forget everything you know and start again' it seems the case that gcse physics has to be simplified to such a degree that its actually wrong.

My only advice is go in with an open mind and perhaps look through a level revision guides throughout the summer. Also start revision early as last minute cramming just wont be sufficient!

Good luck!
I'm doing AS maths and physics this year and it is really challenging, especially if like me, can't get your head around it. In a case like mine, my maths teachers have been great so I have high hopes for maths but I have learned absolutely nothing in physics as a result of poor teaching. Although, if you're interested in physics and want to pursue a career that involves physics or simply want a challenge, there's nothing stopping you. Just make sure you prepared to work your socks off.
Original post by Riya Patel
Hello, I'm hoping to do the following a-levels next year: maths (with mechanics), chemistry, english lit, physics. I'm hoping to pursue a career in engineering (fingers-crossed) just because of my pure love for physics and maths. Last year, I took some of my gcses early such as science and maths so this year I am doing further maths. Is there any advice you could give me on taking physics as an a-level? I heard that it is the hardest a-level. Thanks for your help! :smile:

I wouldn't say it's the most difficult, most of the time you either have a brain for physics or not and that determines how much work you need to put in. I would say if you're doing further maths get into the habit of doing extra work and revision early in the year, as you won't find it as easy revising everything near to the exams, just because of the sheer content needed for the A2 Core maths modules - although I guess it depends on which board you're on.

I took further maths so it's partially based on experience ;P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest