IK98
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How do you solve this problem?
Attached files
CaitlinN15
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by IK98)
How do you solve this problem?
It's a circle theorem- you've got to know your circle theorems to answer it really
Posted from TSR Mobile
CaitlinN15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
http://www.mathsrevision.net/gcse-ma...ircle-theorems

This site should.help you work your way through it, you've got to identify the correct theorem. I hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Azzer11
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I hate circle theorems. I could start off by saying the triangle is isosceles because the two sides are the same length as they are both diameters of the circle. That also means that the bottom 2 angles of the triangle are equal but after that I'd be stuck...
KongShou
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
90-ACD=OCA=OAC
since OCD is 90deg

AOC=180-(OCA+OAC)=180-2(90-ACD)=180-180+2ACD=2ACD

but
AOC=2ABC

so
2ACD=2ABC
ACD=ABC

Hope this is clear, ask me on any confusing part.
CaitlinN15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Azzer11)
I hate circle theorems. I could start off by saying the triangle is isosceles because the two sides are the same length as they are both diameters of the circle. That also means that the bottom 2 angles of the triangle are equal but after that I'd be stuck...
Could you also say that a tangent makes an angle of 90degrees with the radius of the circle? As thats part of the theorems. You get marks for writing statments like that..I guess half of these haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
lerjj
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Azzer11)
They aren't diameters aas they don't pass through the centre. Isn't this just the alternative segment theorem? Do they expect the proof or just those words?
IK98
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by KongShou)
90-ACD=OCA=OAC
since OCD is 90deg

AOC=180-(OCA+OAC)=180-2(90-ACD)=180-180+2ACD=2ACD

but
AOC=2ABC

so
2ACD=2ABC
ACD=ABC

Hope this is clear, ask me on any confusing part.
Thank you very much , it is appreciated.
I tried doing something concerning the angles but never thought about calculating AOC
Azzer11
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lerjj)
They aren't diameters aas they don't pass through the centre. Isn't this just the alternative segment theorem? Do they expect the proof or just those words?
Yeah my bad, it is the alternate segment one. Just had a look at the Maths Watch video for circle theorems.
KongShou
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by IK98)
Thank you very much , it is appreciated.
I tried doing something concerning the angles but never thought about calculating AOC
No problem
contradicta
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Is this requiring us to prove the alternate segment theorem?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (65)
12.45%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.72%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (135)
25.86%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.24%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (252)
48.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed