GageMcAlister
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys,

Just for all you doing French for A-level out there!

Do you enjoy the subject and do you feel like you could have a conversation with a French person at this stage?

Many thanks
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really enjoy French but I'm definitely at a disadvantage because the majority of people who study AS French already have some kind of French / Spanish background, whereas I don't.
I've found that people who don't have a background of this sort struggle a lot more with the oral aspect of the language, whereas the written aspect is fine.
In the exam, it takes me less than 20 minutes to do the essay. When it comes to oral, however, I hesitate a lot because I need to conjugate the verbs in my head and make the correct agreements before I say anything. My mind hasn't completely adapted to actually speaking in French yet.
I'm already planning to retake the oral exam next year because I think I'm going to end up with an A in the written exam but a B/C in the oral. It's a shame that the oral can bring my grade down so much.
GageMcAlister
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Petulia)
I really enjoy French but I'm definitely at a disadvantage because the majority of people who study AS French already have some kind of French / Spanish background, whereas I don't.
I've found that people who don't have a background of this sort struggle a lot more with the oral aspect of the language, whereas the written aspect is fine.
In the exam, it takes me less than 20 minutes to do the essay. When it comes to oral, however, I hesitate a lot because I need to conjugate the verbs in my head and make the correct agreements before I say anything. My mind hasn't completely adapted to actually speaking in French yet.
I'm already planning to retake the oral exam next year because I think I'm going to end up with an A in the written exam but a B/C in the oral. It's a shame that the oral can bring my grade down so much.

So, did you have no prior experience with French or Spanish? At all? Did you not take either for GCSE or are you referring to people who have lived in France/Spain or have relatives from that region?
It's good that you enjoy it and I'm sure you'll get over your hesitations once you speak it more! Do you have a French assistant at your school?
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GageMcAlister)
So, did you have no prior experience with French or Spanish? At all? Did you not take either for GCSE or are you referring to people who have lived in France/Spain or have relatives from that region?
It's good that you enjoy it and I'm sure you'll get over your hesitations once you speak it more! Do you have a French assistant at your school?
I got an A* in GCSE French, but the exam system was completely different. All we had to do was memorise a paragraph and recite it to the teacher, so I've never had any experience with improvisation until this year.
Most people in my class are half French or Spanish or something so they find it much easier. We have an assistant who does separate speaking lessons with us, which has helped quite a bit. Do you study AS French?
lightningdoritos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I find it pretty difficult and I'm dreading A2! But hopefully I did okay in my exams...the oral was okay except we got a weird examiner who kept interrupting and so I never finished my sentences I think the writing was hard but the hardest bit is accuracy, I mean the verb formations and stuff are okay! Also, the gender agreements are so annoying!
Claros
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've just finished AS French and I did enjoy it. Initially I hated it because for me the jump between GCSE and AS was quite big, so I felt pretty useless at French at the beginning of the year, however after getting more used to it I began to enjoy it more. I do struggle with the oral aspect the most though, while writing is by far my strongest point. I don't think I could have a general conversation with a French person, but maybe this is due more to confidence rather than my ability to know French.
lightningdoritos
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Claros)
I've just finished AS French and I did enjoy it. Initially I hated it because for me the jump between GCSE and AS was quite big, so I felt pretty useless at French at the beginning of the year, however after getting more used to it I began to enjoy it more. I do struggle with the oral aspect the most though, while writing is by far my strongest point. I don't think I could have a general conversation with a French person, but maybe this is due more to confidence rather than my ability to know French.
I totally agree with you; I think the reason why I struggle in my oral is because I get really nervous and I struggle talking to strangers even in English so it's even harder in French!
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am really enjoying French AS-level. It does help that the teacher is superb, we do plenty of grammar and about twice the work we manage in Spanish. What doesn't help is the fact that A-level lessons at my school come as a treble one morning and a double one afternoon (to help with collaboration with other local schools). Treble French is the hardest-going of the trebles.

Could I converse with a French person? My speech is fairly fluent (not quite as fluent as my Spanish) but not accurate enough. What I struggle with is making sure I use the correct verb ending / tense / agreement, rather than using the first one that comes into my head and hoping for the best.

The oral exam seemed to go OK, mind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (151)
14.46%
I'm not sure (45)
4.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (311)
29.79%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (510)
48.85%

Watched Threads