The Student Room Group

is it possible to take A-Level German without GCSE?

I would want to take a level german without the gcse, has anyone done this before; or with any language a level? thanks, Sam :smile:
Original post by samiln
I would want to take a level german without the gcse, has anyone done this before; or with any language a level? thanks, Sam :smile:

Well at my school, and I'm sure most others, you need to have a certain grade in the Language at GCSE to do it at A level. I can't really see how you're going to be able to cope with a language A level (Which are notoriously hard) when you don't have the GCSE standard. Unless, you do have a good grounding in German but simply didn't pick the GCSE.. then you'd have to convince the school you're at a good enough standard I suppose:biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by samiln

Most colleges/sixth forms will definitely ask for the language at a certain grade at GCSE, for example, B.

What made you not take it for GCSE?
If it's the case that you're fluent, maybe speak to where you would want to take it, and explain this.

It would probably be a very unique case...
I've just done this! I shall see if it was a smart decision in August :tongue:
OP, have you got any experience with (learning) foreign languages?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by thatitootoo
I've just done this! I shall see if it was a smart decision in August :tongue:
OP, have you got any experience with (learning) foreign languages?

GREAT! How did you find it through the year, and the grammar as well?, also how did the school let you take it for a level without the gcse?
How was it compared to your other subjects as well?(what did you take):confused::confused::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:
Original post by Caitlin_3008
Most colleges/sixth forms will definitely ask for the language at a certain grade at GCSE, for example, B.

What made you not take it for GCSE?
If it's the case that you're fluent, maybe speak to where you would want to take it, and explain this.

It would probably be a very unique case...

yeah... i'd be starting it from scratch in a way; but I have done it in the past in Y7 haha
Ii didn't take it for GCSE because I took both Spanish & French GCSE, but I wish I took French and German... I will also be doing French a level, as well as Geography, and my 4th may be business but not completely decided on that one yet :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by samiln
yeah... i'd be starting it from scratch in a way; but I have done it in the past in Y7 haha

I'd say you're much better off doing a subject you have done at GCSE.

Languages are known for being very difficult at A-Level, and the reason most colleges/sixth forms don't let people take them without a B or above in GCSE is because many students would fail, and a very good understanding of the language is needed. Do you see what I'm saying?

Taking a subject you last did 5 years ago will be a VERY big challenge, and won't be easy at all.
Original post by Caitlin_3008
I'd say you're much better off doing a subject you have done at GCSE.

Languages are known for being very difficult at A-Level, and the reason most colleges/sixth forms don't let people take them without a B or above in GCSE is because many students would fail, and a very good understanding of the language is needed. Do you see what I'm saying?

Taking a subject you last did 5 years ago will be a VERY big challenge, and won't be easy at all.

I am in year 10 atm as well, so I am phoning local colleges/universities to see if they do GCSE German, so who knows?
Reply 9
Original post by samiln
I am in year 10 atm as well, so I am phoning local colleges/universities to see if they do GCSE German, so who knows?

Good idea.
A Level languages are a big jump from GCSEs. I don't think I learnt anything relevant during GCSE French to be honest. All we had to do was memorise a paragraph or two and recite it to the teacher. Although I got an A* at GCSE, I don't feel like I ever learnt anything relevant in French until I studied it as an AS subject.
At A Levels, depending on your teacher, you usually go over all of the GCSE basics anyway (i.e tenses and vocab), so you probably won't be that far behind. I think the main thing for studying a language, especially if you've never studied it before, is to be a fast learner.
I'm on WJEC for French and we had to study 15 topics throughout the AS year (fashion, food, sports, tourism etc). Three of these topics come up in the writing/reading/listening exam. 16 marks of the paper go towards translating phrases from French to good English. 30 marks go towards an essay question: a 200-250 word essay on a given topic.
The oral exam is where most people struggle. Out of the 15 topics we studied, we had to randomly pick two cards with topics on them on the day of the exam, and then we were given 15 minutes to prepare for the questions on the cards, before having a 7 minute oral examination on them. 7 minutes are then improvised general conversation with the teacher.
All languages at AS are more or less set out the same way, so make sure you're ready!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest