what is an a level sociology exam like?

Watch
elliekelly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am taking a level sociology next year (along with maths, biology and English lit) and I wondered what the sociology exam is like? Is it similar to GCSE re? A lot to write with so little time? Also what do you do for coursework? Thank you!
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
emalouise_96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey! So with sociology you sit 2 exams. One is an hour and one is 2 hours. The unit 1 paper involves a 2 marker (definition), a 4 marker, a 6 marker and two 24 mark essays. For the 6 marker, and one of the 24 markers, you're given an item (a smal paragraph) to refer to in your answer (you're given marks for this so you must include it!). One 24 marker is an 'examine' question where you pretty much just explain and the other is an 'assess' question (this is the one with the item) where you assess the strengths and weaknesses of the question topic using different sociological views (feminism, marxism etc).
The unit 2 paper is slightly different. In the first section of the paper you have a 2 marker (definition again), a 6 marker, a 12 marker and a 20 mark essay (with an item). You then have another 20 mark essay for the 'methods in context section'. In this section you're given a third item, and you have a choice of what you write about.
An example question for this section would be 'Using material from item B and elsewhere, asses the strengths and limitations of using one of the following methods for investigating social class differences in university entrance: either group interviews or postal questionnaires'. The third section has another definition 2 marker, two 4 markers and a 20 mark essay!!
I hope this helps and also this is for the AQA exams!
elliekelly
Rep:
?
Thank you that's really helpful! It is quite tight for time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
emalouise_96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I replied to this before logging in and it's not showing up for me so I'll post again :P The timing isn't bad really. Unit 1 paper is 60 minutes and 60 marks, so 1 mark a minute, not too bad. The unit 2 paper is 90 marks and 2 hours!
elliekelly
Rep:
?
Thanks so much!
notthegreatest
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not doing sociology now but I would expect it to be easy, it's kind of worthless too as well... It's a weak subject.
elliekelly
Rep:
?
I know it is, I just wanted to do one weaker/easier subject amongst maths, biology and English lit. Also I want to study nursing and I have heard it's good to do a social science if you want to do nursing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hollyjspence
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I'm in the middle of my A2 exams and I took sociology. If you're looking for an easy A level, this is not it! It may seem easy but there is a lot of content to remember and all your exams are now in the summer as opposed to one being in January and one being in June. I have just sat my SCLY3 exam and my SCLY4 paper is on Monday. I have been nonstop revising and there is sooo much to remember! I suppose it's down to preference really. If you have a good memory then you'll be fine with sociology, if your memory isn't too good then you'll be required to put a lot of effort in coming up to exams and this may not be for you. I love sociology. I love the content, however I feel like the exams are a lot of pressure. SCLY1 is 60minutes and 60 marks are available. SCLY2 is 2 hours and 90 marks available. SCLY3 is for 1 hour and a half with 60 marks available and SCLY4 is for 2 hours with 90 marks available. If you have any questions feel free to message me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.8%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.66%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.69%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.26%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (80)
10.8%
Financial worries (50)
6.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.24%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.58%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.69%

Watched Threads