What does it mean that the medium of instruction of the class is french?

Watch
Advice Guru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Say for a biology class it says the medium of instruction is french. What does that mean?
Advice Guru
Rep:
?
Bump.
Advice Guru
Rep:
?
Bump..
Advice Guru
Rep:
?
Bump...
BaconEmperor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The class is taught in French

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advice Guru
Rep:
?
(Original post by BaconEmperor)
The class is taught in French

Posted from TSR Mobile
So the teacher will teach biology in french?
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bhenchod)
So the teacher will teach biology in french?
Yes. Where is this for?
Advice Guru
Rep:
?
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
Yes. Where is this for?
It's for a class in a luxembourg school.
So I'm guessing they will use the french translations of technical terms such as "mitosis", "cell membrane" etc?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's for a class in a luxembourg school.
So I'm guessing they will use the french translations of technical terms such as "mitosis", "cell membrane" etc?
I imagine so.
BaconEmperor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Basically the whole class will be in French, they'll explain everything in French, any printouts will be in French and the students will most likely chat to each other in French

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advice Guru
Rep:
?
(Original post by BaconEmperor)
Basically the whole class will be in French, they'll explain everything in French, any printouts will be in French and the students will most likely chat to each other in French

Posted from TSR Mobile
So that means the class would never had heard of words such as "mitosis" or "cell membrane" ?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So that means the class would never had heard of words such as "mitosis" or "cell membrane" ?
Well, they might, but are more likely to use mitose or membrane cellulaire
Advice Guru
Rep:
?
Well, they might, but are more likely to use mitose or membrane cellulaire

So kind of like the fact most biology students in the UK haven't heard of words such as "mitose" or "membrane cellulaire"?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So kind of like the fact most biology students in the UK haven't heard of words such as "mitose" or "membrane cellulaire"?
I don't know what you are trying to say here. I know both terms and I took biology O level in 1975. The terms are part of the syllabus and will be known to students in their own language, which is what they sit their exams in.
Advice Guru
Rep:
?
I don't know what you are trying to say here. I know both terms and I took biology O level in 1975. The terms are part of the syllabus and will be known to students in their own language, which is what they sit their exams in.
What I'm trying to say is the following. A student in France learning maths in french will be familiar with the following terms...
trigonométrie, géométrique

While a student in the UK learning maths in english will be familiar with terms such as trigonometry, geometry. The UK student would have most likely have never heard the words trigonometrie,geometrique and the french student would have most likely never have heard the words trigonometry, geometry. That is what I'm trying to say.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What I'm trying to say is the following. A student in France learning maths in french will be familiar with the following terms...
trigonométrie, géométrique

While a student in the UK learning maths in english will be familiar with terms such as trigonometry, geometry. The UK student would have most likely have never heard the words trigonometrie,geometrique and the french student would have most likely never have heard the words trigonometry, geometry. That is what I'm trying to say.
But that is self evident, is it not? Why is it bothering you? People learn the technical terms in their own language. Why would they not? They aren't often likely to need them in a foreign language and it doesn't take an enormous grasp of languages to work them out if they do stumble across them, given how similar they are. I don't understand why it matters. If you are going to school in a country where the majority speaks a specific language, then the schools are quite likely to operate under that language. They have to start somewhere.
Advice Guru
Rep:
?
But that is self evident, is it not? Why is it bothering you? People learn the technical terms in their own language. Why would they not? They aren't often likely to need them in a foreign language and it doesn't take an enormous grasp of languages to work them out if they do stumble across them, given how similar they are. I don't understand why it matters. If you are going to school in a country where the majority speaks a specific language, then the schools are quite likely to operate under that language. They have to start somewhere.
I guess that is right. It must be a pain for two professors of say economics to communicate with each other if one has learnt economics in english and the other has learnt economics in spanish. But I'm guessing proffessors learn all the technical english terms when they read research papers.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I guess that is right. It must be a pain for two professors of say economics to communicate with each other if one has learnt economics in english and the other has learnt economics in spanish. But I'm guessing proffessors learn all the technical english terms when they read research papers.
I couldn't say, but there are plenty of bilingual and trilingual people out there who help them manage.
Advice Guru
Rep:
?
I couldn't say, but there are plenty of bilingual and trilingual people out there who help them manage.
That would help them but how many bilingual english spanish speakers say know technical terms in both english and spanish for economics. I would guess that the spanish speaking professor would most likely have to learn the technical terms in english on his/her own.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That would help them but how many bilingual english spanish speakers say know technical terms in both english and spanish for economics. I would guess that the spanish speaking professor would most likely have to learn the technical terms in english on his/her own.
I would imagine quite a lot of them. Considering it's their job, it is clearly in their interest to do so. This is a conversation going nowhere, so I will leave it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (184)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.82%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.09%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
9.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.92%

Watched Threads