The Student Room Group

FP1 AQA- Tuesday 10th June 2014

Couldn't find an FP1 thread for AQA, so i decided to start one!
How is everyone feeling about this exam? :-)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Worried :/ The grade boundaries seem quite high and everything seems to be last-minute cramming.

What other further maths modules are you doing along with FP1?
Reply 2
Yea im quite worried as well. Just can seem to get the hang of solving those general solutions.
Reply 3
Original post by DoctorBoo
Worried :/ The grade boundaries seem quite high and everything seems to be last-minute cramming.

What other further maths modules are you doing along with FP1?

D1 and D2! How about yourself? Definitely have a look at all the past papers as some of the questions tend to be quite different on each one.

You'll be fine! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ddogg
Yea im quite worried as well. Just can seem to get the hang of solving those general solutions.

Don't be you'll be fine! These are a decent set of notes if you need them http://www.mathsbox.org.uk/revisionnotes/AQA%20Further%20Pure%201%20Revision%20Notes.pdf
Reply 5
What's so hard about gen. solutions? All you need to know are 3 equations...
Reply 6
Original post by Hunkybm
D1 and D2! How about yourself? Definitely have a look at all the past papers as some of the questions tend to be quite different on each one.

You'll be fine! :smile:

D1 and S2. I think we're going to do D2 next year, how are you finding it?
Yup, trying to get as many done before the exam.
Reply 7
Original post by ubisoft
What's so hard about gen. solutions? All you need to know are 3 equations...

The cos and tan general solutions work perfectly fine but the when i try to use the sine general solution (180n+(-1)^n) x angle) i can never seem to get the correct answer. Also when i look at the mark scheme there is always two general solutions for sine. Any ideas why?
Reply 8
Original post by ddogg
The cos and tan general solutions work perfectly fine but the when i try to use the sine general solution (180n+(-1)^n) x angle) i can never seem to get the correct answer. Also when i look at the mark scheme there is always two general solutions for sine. Any ideas why?

Because of the symmetrical nature of the graph. I can't really explain it but think about it;

360+angle and 360 + 180-angle will both have the same solution.

If you don't understand it don't worry about it or you'll get more confused.
Reply 9
Original post by DoctorBoo
D1 and S2. I think we're going to do D2 next year, how are you finding it?
Yup, trying to get as many done before the exam.

It's okay, a lot harder than D1 I must say. But a lot easier than M1. Haha
Reply 10
Original post by ubisoft
Because of the symmetrical nature of the graph. I can't really explain it but think about it;

360+angle and 360 + 180-angle will both have the same solution.

If you don't understand it don't worry about it or you'll get more confused.

Hello again, we must be doing similar subjects haha and I also am having a few general solutions issues, its not because I don't understand it, but I did one question yesterday and i gave 2 solutions but the mark scheme had combined it into one using plus or minus so when i answered another GS question today i combined mine into one GS using plus or minus but the mark scheme this time gave it as 2 solutions!? How do you know which to give it as or does it not matter, will i get the marks for either?
Reply 11
Original post by adw10
Hello again, we must be doing similar subjects haha and I also am having a few general solutions issues, its not because I don't understand it, but I did one question yesterday and i gave 2 solutions but the mark scheme had combined it into one using plus or minus so when i answered another GS question today i combined mine into one GS using plus or minus but the mark scheme this time gave it as 2 solutions!? How do you know which to give it as or does it not matter, will i get the marks for either?

Yeah you get marks regardless if it's +- or two separate solutions. I usually just leave it as +- as it's less work and quicker.

And yeah we must be haha what subjects/modules are you doing?
I'm confused about the use of the sine general solution, once you have calculated the two solutions, if the question asks for a value of n with an answer that is <6pi for example, which equation do I plug my n values into? Thanks.
Reply 13
Original post by ubisoft
Yeah you get marks regardless if it's +- or two separate solutions. I usually just leave it as +- as it's less work and quicker.

And yeah we must be haha what subjects/modules are you doing?

AS Maths, AS Further Maths, AS Physics, AS Chemistry, AS History and I do the UKMT stuff which i think is the forums ive spoken to you before on
Reply 14
Original post by Tibooster
I'm confused about the use of the sine general solution, once you have calculated the two solutions, if the question asks for a value of n with an answer that is <6pi for example, which equation do I plug my n values into? Thanks.

if its the largest solution thats <6pi then youd plug it into both and see which gave you the largest value <6pi and there you go
Heeey guysss
I'm 15 and im doing fp1 on the 10th aswell.. My cousin who did FP2(edexcel) last friday said that there were questions that he had never seen before, and he usually gets 90%+ in past papers, he also said he 'blanked' because some of the questions were worded weirdly... he didnt realize that he had to use a taylor theory or something because the question was weirdly worded.

I'm assuming that this years papers will be a lot harder compared to the last few. Also, I also think that there's going to be a weird question about the newton raphson's and Euler's theory, there might be a question that might say 'use a step-by-step method to solve the value of y when x=...' , so obviously you'd use Euler's.

The other chapters seem fine and I'll think that ill be okay. The only topic that i really struggled on was the matrix transformations. ;D

Good luck tomorrow everyone!

Oh and also, my tutor and I were talking yesterday about the exam, and she told me a story about how her ex teacher from uni(imperial university) told her about how and why exams become harder.

Basically, because so many people are getting As, universities and businesses cant identify the best students, so obviously they would make exams harder. But not in a way of how you solve the question, but in a way of how its worded..
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm doing this exam, hoping 67 is full ums again like last year
Has anyone made an unofficial mark scheme for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
how did you find it?
Reply 19
I do not think anyone has created a mark scheme.

What did you get for c? What did you find for the angle of rotation and enlargement for the matrix?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending