OCR A2 Conventional Current Problem Watch

Jovery
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In this paper:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58049-q...of-physics.pdf

Question 1ci) asks you for the details on flow of directions, and you have to include the direction.
I assumed that you had to use conventional current, and put the direction as clockwise (from the capacitor into the resistor), because the charge had built up on the upper plate of the capacitor.

But in the mark scheme it says that the electrons move in the opposite direction: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/63477-m...ysics-june.pdf :/

How do I know which direction to use on another question - conventional current or the actual flow of directions? :/
Pessimisterious
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Current conventions are stupid. Circuit diagrams should have an arrow on the wires to show which way the electrons are actually flowing.

In the case of your question, I think the clue lies in the part where the question says, "in terms of the movement of electrons", which I would interpret as the physical description of the flow, rather than the silly conventional way which I've always hated.

PS - what is 'flow of directions' ??? You mean flow of electrons?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (516)
26.27%
The paper was reasonable (857)
43.64%
Not feeling great about that exam (383)
19.5%
It was TERRIBLE (208)
10.59%

Watched Threads