Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! I've recently been very interested in science (or maths) related books and would love to learn more, especially as it's almost summer. Are there any books you could recommend? Below are a few I am currently (/planning on) reading:

-Why Chemical Reactions Happen by Keeler and Wothers
    -Chemistry³: Introducing inorganic, organic and physical chemistry
    -The Chemistry of Fireworks

I'd quite like to learn more about maths (I heard 'How to Solve the Da Vinci Code: And 34 Other Really Interesting Uses of Mathematics' is a really interesting read) and also physics (quantum mechanics).

Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Bump- please enrich my summer!
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzers)
    Hi guys! I've recently been very interested in science (or maths) related books and would love to learn more, especially as it's almost summer. Are there any books you could recommend? Below are a few I am currently (/planning on) reading:

-Why Chemical Reactions Happen by Keeler and Wothers
    -Chemistry³: Introducing inorganic, organic and physical chemistry
    -The Chemistry of Fireworks

I'd quite like to learn more about maths (I heard 'How to Solve the Da Vinci Code: And 34 Other Really Interesting Uses of Mathematics' is a really interesting read) and also physics (quantum mechanics).

Thank you for your help!
    Are you studying sciences for A-level? Because if you are, you could always ask one of your teachers...

Try the following websites for maths related articles

http://nrich.maths.org/forstudents
    http://plus.maths.org

Happy reading!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysmile)
    Are you studying sciences for A-level? Because if you are, you could always ask one of your teachers...

Try the following websites for maths related articles

http://nrich.maths.org/forstudents
    http://plus.maths.org

Happy reading!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    over the last couple of years i've read
    food - the chemistry of its components, t.p.coultate
    colour chemistry, r.m.christie (rsc science)
    the chemistry of explosives, j.akhavan
    bad science, ben goldacre
    farmer buckleys exploding trousers (new scientist)
    the science of food, peter barham
    why do buses come in threes, rob eastaway
    how long is a piece of string, rob eastaway

the first three are very textbooky but the last five are quite light and each chapter is a stand alone subject so you don't need to read it all in one go which is nice
    i've also read why chemical reactions happen and the chemistry of fireworks - good choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kmonster)
    over the last couple of years i've read
    food - the chemistry of its components, t.p.coultate
    colour chemistry, r.m.christie (rsc science)
    the chemistry of explosives, j.akhavan
    bad science, ben goldacre
    farmer buckleys exploding trousers (new scientist)
    the science of food, peter barham
    why do buses come in threes, rob eastaway
    how long is a piece of string, rob eastaway

the first three are very textbooky but the last five are quite light and each chapter is a stand alone subject so you don't need to read it all in one go which is nice
    i've also read why chemical reactions happen and the chemistry of fireworks - good choices
    I've heard of Bad Science and it sounds interesting. You also seem to quite like Rob Eastaway's books!

I'm not far into Why Chemical Reactions Happen but I do love that book- I'm making slow progress! The co-author Professor Peter Wothers is one of my favourite chemists :ahee:

Definitely going to check all of those out- thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2014
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.