Squidgyness
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey,

I want a phone for a few calls, some texts and light browsing (Facebook, email etc.). Which of these (or another phone altogether?) would be better for that, can anyone help? Not sure whether I want the faster processor of the moto or the ace. Decent battery life would be good if possible. Storage 16gb would be enough.

Does the moto g have 4g, and is this important?

Also, it's been a while, what would you say is a good pay as you go network for that stuff? I'd mostly be browsing tbh, haven't got many calls or texts to make.

Cheers for any help
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Squidgyness)
Hey,

I want a phone for a few calls, some texts and light browsing (Facebook, email etc.). Which of these (or another phone altogether?) would be better for that, can anyone help? Not sure whether I want the faster processor of the moto or the ace. Decent battery life would be good if possible. Storage 16gb would be enough.

Also, it's been a while, what would you say is a good pay as you go network for that stuff? I'd mostly be browsing tbh, haven't got many calls or texts to make.

Cheers for any help
The Ace 3 is an inferior phone in almost every way. Dual core chipsets vs the Moto G's quad core which punches well above its weight considering the price, awful screen in comparison with 800 x 480 compared to the Moto G's 1280 x 720, stuck on Android 4.2 with Samsung's overlay while the Moto G is on the newest version (and will probably see at least one more upgrade) with almost stock Android, larger battery capacity. The Ace's only real advantage is the MicroSD slot, which the Moto G can have internally and the new 4G Moto G added this anyway.

4G is only important if you actually get a sim with 4G allowance. In which case, as mentioned above, there is a newer model of Moto G which added 4G networking and a MicroSD that can make use of it.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey,

Cheers for any help
The Ace 3 is an inferior phone in almost every way. Dual core chipsets vs the Moto G's quad core which punches well above its weight considering the price, awful screen in comparison with 800 x 480 compared to the Moto G's 1280 x 720, stuck on Android 4.2 with Samsung's overlay while the Moto G is on the newest version (and will probably see at least one more upgrade) with almost stock Android, larger battery capacity. The Ace's only real advantage is the MicroSD slot, which the Moto G can have internally and the new 4G Moto G added this anyway.

4G is only important if you actually get a sim with 4G allowance. In which case, as mentioned above, there is a newer model of Moto G which added 4G networking and a MicroSD that can make use of it.
Squidgyness
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)

Ah okay so clearly the Motorola then. If I were to buy the 4g moto g coming out soon, could I stick a 3G sim in till I felt it necessary to get a 4g one?

I'm looking at it on amazon right now from moto themselves, sim free, does this mean I could use any network? It's coming out on the 30th it says on there. Seems a bargain for the spec mind.

Also, what is the best 3G pay as you go deal? Is there any particular operator I should look at?

Cheers!
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah okay so clearly the Motorola then. If I were to buy the 4g moto g coming out soon, could I stick a 3G sim in till I felt it necessary to get a 4g one?
Yes, a 4G phone will be able to use 3G and 4G networks interchangeably (it would be frustrating if not, no network offers full UK coverage of 4G yet!)

I'm looking at it on amazon right now from moto themselves, sim free, does this mean I could use any network? It's coming out on the 30th it says on there. Seems a bargain for the spec mind.
Yes, it's an unlocked handset and all UK networks are fully compatible to my knowledge.

Also, what is the best 3G pay as you go deal? Is there any particular operator I should look at?

Cheers!
I'm not aware of any specific deals/tariffs, it's been a while since I looked closely at PAYG options. GiffGaff (a smaller network that utilise O2's masts) are enduringly popular for being very affordable though.
Squidgyness
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Yes, a 4G phone will be able to use 3G and 4G networks interchangeably (it would be frustrating if not, no network offers full UK coverage of 4G yet!)

Yes, it's an unlocked handset and all UK networks are fully compatible to my knowledge.

I'm not aware of any specific deals/tariffs, it's been a while since I looked closely at PAYG options. GiffGaff (a smaller network that utilise O2's masts) are enduringly popular for being very affordable though.
Ah cheers. I did check 4g and it is in my area but as you say you never know when 3G would be the only option.

I assumed buying from manufacturer would be unlocked. Thanks for confirming, I'll check out giff gaff and other operators in the weeks before it comes out here.

Thanks for the advice
Squidgyness
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
GiffGaff seem quite good value when I look, they are 3g but I don't think I will need 4g speeds as a matter of course, and they seem to give more data than EE does, albeit at slower speeds.

If I got a 3g sim from GiffGaff, am I right in thinking it would work fine (just at 3g speeds) if I put it in a Motorola moto g 4g bought direct from the manufacturer?

If so I think that's the way I might go for now. I'll probably stick with the Motorola for as long as I can (which should hopefully be a while) so that's why I'm looking at getting the 4g version even if I wouldn't use it straight away.

Unless I'm missing some kind of planned obsolescence from Android updates not reaching my phone in a year or two, in which case I might just get the 3g one since its cheaper.

Sorry to bother you again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (246)
60.44%
No (84)
20.64%
Not sure (77)
18.92%

Watched Threads