The Student Room Group

What do you think of Chinese people?

I was racially abused when I was a kid, like people would come up to me and start shouting at my face "chicken chow mein" or something racist, so Im a bit socially awkward now, and I feel uncomfortable in public places. Now that Im a young adult I find that most people who walk past me often stare hard at me, like as if Im some sort of problem.
I know Im being a bit paranoid but if you walked past such a person what is your first thought?

Scroll to see replies

I would think nothing of it because I'm not an 8 year old child from the Home Counties. And I've been racially abused in the past too. I don't think there is a very large population of Asian people in the UK so it's still quite strange to native Brits. But in general I don't have much of an opinion regarding Chinese people specifically.
Reply 2
I suspect that as ethnicities in Britain go, Chinese people will be regarded quite positively. Unlike the racism that Muslims and Africans suffer Chinese people don't have any of the religious baggage and indeed those who are born here seem to be as outgoing and generally British as anybody else.

Asians tend to be too shy in general but if you got that sorted and were a bit more outgoing and friendly you'd probably have the least problems of any ethnic group in Britain.

Plus you have the whole educationally anal thing going for you.
Original post by SandyMan
I was racially abused when I was a kid, like people would come up to me and start shouting at my face "chicken chow mein" or something racist, so Im a bit socially awkward now, and I feel uncomfortable in public places. Now that Im a young adult I find that most people who walk past me often stare hard at me, like as if Im some sort of problem.
I know Im being a bit paranoid but if you walked past such a person what is your first thought?

Sorry to hear you were racially abused, it must be awful to go through that. I don't really think anything when I walk past a Chinese person, likewise with any ethnicity. I suppose it depends on the area etc though. Places like London are so culturally diverse that you're used to being surrounded by various different ethnicities, whereas if you're in an area where it's more unusual people will probably stare more - not necessarily in a rude or judgemental way, just because they're not used to it I suppose? That certainly doesn't excuse being racist though :no:
Reply 4
Original post by Rakas21
I suspect that as ethnicities in Britain go, Chinese people will be regarded quite positively. Unlike the racism that Muslims and Africans suffer Chinese people don't have any of the religious baggage and indeed those who are born here seem to be as outgoing and generally British as anybody else.

Asians tend to be too shy in general but if you got that sorted and were a bit more outgoing and friendly you'd probably have the least problems of any ethnic group in Britain.

Plus you have the whole educationally anal thing going for you.

Nominated for 'Most badly-worded clause on TSR' for June 2014.
Reply 5
Best kind of people tbh
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Ronove
Nominated for 'Most badly-worded clause on TSR' for June 2014.

I wanted to separate the Muslims (a lot of them Arab) from the proper Africans, some of whom are Christian but suffer from racism due to their skin colour (as opposed to Muslims who get bad press for being well.. terrorists).
Reply 7
dem eyez

If you live in UK or US or Canada or the Caribbean or Latin America or Australia or obviously Asia no one is going to look at you awkwardly. Well no one should. Unless in these places you live where you're like...the only one.

Anyway I'm white (Eng and Swede) from UK and I'm honestly not the biggest liberal but when I'm interacting with a stranger who is different from me I don't treat them nice or mean because I have no reason to do either so I would never purposefully make you insecure about who you are. Also when it comes to dating/romance/sex I love brown..or yellow...whatever :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Rakas21
I wanted to separate the Muslims (a lot of them Arab) from the proper Africans, some of whom are Christian but suffer from racism due to their skin colour (as opposed to Muslims who get bad press for being well.. terrorists).

You were talking about racism though. So why not talk about the Arabs and the Africans if that's the distinction you were wanting to make?
Where I grew up (Plymouth) there is a large percentage of the local population who are Asian. It has always been a part of my local tapestry.

Unfortunately as somebody above mentioned, I think it's pretty typical of the English to discriminate against the middle eastern minorities these days. Sad but true.

I'm truly disappointed in my country's people that you had to grow up through that kind of environment. All I can say is try not to let it permanently change how you perceive and interact with the world around you! The good majority of people - everyone worth knowing, I'd say - won't let your nationality impact on their opinions of you.
Original post by Ronove
You were talking about racism though. So why not talk about the Arabs and the Africans if that's the distinction you were wanting to make?

Because the bulk of racism against Arabs is not for their skin (Persian women are widely considered pretty hot) but for the fact they are Muslim. The same is not true for Africans with whom it's their skin colour.
Reply 12
Original post by Rakas21
Because the bulk of racism against Arabs is not for their skin (Persian women are widely considered pretty hot) but for the fact they are Muslim. The same is not true for Africans with whom it's their skin colour.

How does one suffer racism over one's religion?
Original post by Ronove
How does one suffer racism over one's religion?

Racism is the wrong word then, but people do blatantly insult and discriminate against Muslims.
I definitely fancy East Asian women.

This perhaps doesn't help with specific regard to your circumstance (?)
Why must I hate them? I like their culture, one of the best of all time.
Reply 16
I wanna buy DVD.
I don't know if they're just shy and dont like speaking but they're probably the most quiet customers I encounter at my place of work.

And a lot if them are constantly on their phones! I was in a restaurant once and I saw this Chinese couple waiting for their meal but they were both on their phones and they weren't even speaking to each other while they sat on the same table! Now I think about it, they could have been Japanese or south Korean...I can't really tell the difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As for your situation, I'd suggest therapy. Not everybody is out to get you, and it's not worth spending your life sad or paranoid.

Aww bless you!

Okay so here's a little back ground on me (as freaky as it may sound) when I was young I was obsessed with East Asians! So much so I started to use chop sticks and such.

Come to year 7 I found out that my grandfather was half Chinese but no one bothered to tell me or even cared.

Now I study Japanese and watch Korean and Taiwanese shows. I feel like East Asians are super cool!

Btw if it helps I get called paki all the time which is a racist comment to Pakistanis. I'm not Pakistani.

Racist people don't know what they are saying half the time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending