Should female tennis players be paid as much as male ones

Watch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Please not the I am mainly talking about the 4 grand slam events because men have to play 5 sets rather than 3, so should be paid more. Also, add to that the fact that main popularity of tennis is the male tour, and that the women's tour is more of a side note, so the men are more valuable to the organisers anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
puma21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No. Less work less pay.
CherylPrincess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course! Women work just as hard as men! And it's not their fault that they aren't allowed in the male competition, I bet Serena could show Nadal a thing or two.
ooxbridge
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes.
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nope in my opinion
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CherylPrincess)
Of course! Women work just as hard as men! And it's not their fault that they aren't allowed in the male competition, I bet Serena could show Nadal a thing or two.
:rofl:
kingdoo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
she went out in the first/second round lol
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
She really couldn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
orange crush
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course they shouldn't. Men play more sets and bring more money to the sport.
ArtGoblin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by puma21)
No. Less work less pay.
Well they don't actually work less hard than the men. Even if this was about women playing less sets than men in grand slams (which the OP specifically said it wasn't), most of the work is in the training not the matches themselves. The argument is that men's matches bring in more money so they should be paid more than the women. While it does seem unfair on female tennis players there's not much that can be done about it other than making women's tennis more popular. However, I don't have a problem with women being paid the same in competitions where men and women both compete even if the men's matches are more popular. Men still make more overall because their is a disparity in earnings in single sex competitions.
orange crush
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ArtGoblin)
Well they don't actually work less hard than the men. Even if this was about women playing less sets than men in grand slams (which the OP specifically said it wasn't), most of the work is in the training not the matches themselves. The argument is that men's matches bring in more money so they should be paid more than the women. While it does seem unfair on female tennis players there's not much that can be done about it other than making women's tennis more popular. However, I don't have a problem with women being paid the same in competitions where men and women both compete even if the men's matches are more popular. Men still make more overall because their is a disparity in earnings in single sex competitions.

Another point would be that the more popular men can make more in endorsement.

I'm still against equal pay though.
puma21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They're getting paid for what they do in the court, not off it. They play 3 sets while men play 5, due to this they have more opportunities to make more money in the doubles tournament.

They're not even as skilled as men, I think one of the William's sisters got thrashed by a male tennis player who wasn't that highly ranked and he drank and smoked.

Edit: Also men's sport is more interesting than women's sport, so they bring more money in for the host. Supply and demand dictates men should be paid more. The only reason they're paid the same is because they pandered to feminist complaining about equal pay when it was already fair, what they wanted was equal outcome unfairly which they got.
StrangeBanana
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, she'd probably win

Spoiler:
Show

a point
ArtGoblin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They're getting paid for what they do in the court, not off it. They play 3 sets while men play 5, due to this they have more opportunities to make more money in the doubles tournament.

They're not even as skilled as men, I think one of the William's sisters got thrashed by a male tennis player who wasn't that highly ranked and he drank and smoked.
They're not getting paid an hourly rate. They get a prize for how well they do in the competition.
LightBlueSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by orange crush)
Another point would be that the more popular men can make more in endorsement.
Not true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BankOfPigs
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No.

At the moment, tennis is gender segregated thus we can view them as different entities. BY economics, people value male tennis more generally because (due to physical advantages) it's viewed as 'higher quality'. Due to this, people ate willing to pay more to watch it so men's tennis should be worth comparatively.

In mixed tennis there's no excuse for a man or a women of equal standing to be payed differently. In single sex though it's all relative.
puma21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They're not getting paid an hourly rate. They get a prize for how well they do in the competition.
I've explained why the tournament prize shouldn't be equal. That's like making the prize for an under-11's tournament the same for an adult male tournament.
LightBlueSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Prize money is generally a reflection of how many people watch on tv (and what demographic) now that tv money far exceeds gate money. Considering that 5 to 10 times as many people watch the men's matches this should probably be reflected in the prize money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PGtips
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah she could show him how to exit the French open in the 2nd round.
ArtGoblin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've explained why the tournament prize shouldn't be equal. That's like making the prize for an under-11's tournament the same for an adult male tournament.
So should the prize be less if male winners win after 3 sets?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed