Lele95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello, I just sat my A2 exam and answered Question 1 on the Weimar Republic. What did everyone else write/do in the exam?
SirGravatt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just sat it too. I did the War economy. I predicted that question would come up, so I was ecstatic and am hopeful of very high marks.

I also did Part B on the First World War, but i have to admit, I found the sources to be absolutely dreadful this year. Anyone else have issues with Part B? I came to the conclusion based on the sources that the German leadership was primarily to blame, as the sources (appeared!) to mainly differ over intent, rather then whether or not they were to blame. For example I concluded that source 1 agreed that the German leadership was to blame, as whilst they "did not plan for war", their "policy of brinkmanship" brought Europe closer to War. I also concluded that Source 3 argued that there was shared blame, and Source 2 gave reasons for a "defensive war", but did not absolve Germany of responsibility for causing one. Thus, my conclusion was that all the sources agree to some degree, and therefore one has to conclude that the Leadership was responsible for the Outbreak of war (Despite this not being my personal view!).
jpeetee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wish I'd revised the war economy in more detail now, it seemed like a relatively straight-forward question in comparison the Weimar question. I was hoping for a question on the golden years, the Kaiserreich or the Nazi rise to power; I ended up going up for the Weimar question but the fact that the question covered the entire 1919-1929 period threw my structure off a bit (I think). I wrote about how fragile the Weimar political system was, how parties avoided compromise and how these factors stretched across the decade. I used the Grand Coalition, popular acceptance of Weimar towards the end of the decade and the fact that it survived the years 1919 - 1923 as counter-evidence to the statement. What sort of things did you write?

I found the sources for part B relatively easy to cross-reference and support with evidence. I didn't leave myself enough time for it and so my paragraph on how factors external to Germany's control were to blame wasn't as extensive as I'd have liked, but I hope I got the right balance of knowledge and sources.
givemestrength
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya 1
Im just gonna paste what I wrote in the other board .....

Noooo
left the exam feeling pretty confident but after speaking to a few people and reading these Im starting to think maybe I flunked? I think i misinterpreted the questions
Did the Weimar question and i thought they wanted us to focus on the DEMOCRATIC nature and how successful it was, so i did not include economy at all! Instead i focused on elements of the constitution and how they were successful or hindered democracy. E.g. PR and how it led to extremist groups and coalition, Article 48, Hindenburg being a minarchist, Putsch attempts from right, internally undermined by conservatives, how it helped their international reputation and weimar culture .
I did speak about the golden years but only the poltiical stability of it....nothing about economy

Do you guys think I'll be able to get an A with such a answer? .....grr i read too much into the question !!

...... hopefully i get enough marks for what i did include even though i kept saying ' shows that democracy was unsuccessful'
tim12333
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jpeetee)
I wish I'd revised the war economy in more detail now, it seemed like a relatively straight-forward question in comparison the Weimar question. I was hoping for a question on the golden years, the Kaiserreich or the Nazi rise to power; I ended up going up for the Weimar question but the fact that the question covered the entire 1919-1929 period threw my structure off a bit (I think). I wrote about how fragile the Weimar political system was, how parties avoided compromise and how these factors stretched across the decade. I used the Grand Coalition, popular acceptance of Weimar towards the end of the decade and the fact that it survived the years 1919 - 1923 as counter-evidence to the statement. What sort of things did you write?

I found the sources for part B relatively easy to cross-reference and support with evidence. I didn't leave myself enough time for it and so my paragraph on how factors external to Germany's control were to blame wasn't as extensive as I'd have liked, but I hope I got the right balance of knowledge and sources.
I have to agree with you, sources were terrible! source 1 I wrote about the German military/ aggressive foreign policy kind of link them together. Source 2 I wrote about encirclement/defensive war and source 3 I wrote about shared blame with regards to the Balkans
weirdnessandcoffee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by givemestrength)
Hiya 1
Im just gonna paste what I wrote in the other board .....

Noooo
left the exam feeling pretty confident but after speaking to a few people and reading these Im starting to think maybe I flunked? I think i misinterpreted the questions
Did the Weimar question and i thought they wanted us to focus on the DEMOCRATIC nature and how successful it was, so i did not include economy at all! Instead i focused on elements of the constitution and how they were successful or hindered democracy. E.g. PR and how it led to extremist groups and coalition, Article 48, Hindenburg being a minarchist, Putsch attempts from right, internally undermined by conservatives, how it helped their international reputation and weimar culture .
I did speak about the golden years but only the poltiical stability of it....nothing about economy

Do you guys think I'll be able to get an A with such a answer? .....grr i read too much into the question !!

...... hopefully i get enough marks for what i did include even though i kept saying ' shows that democracy was unsuccessful'
Did exactly the same as you- only mentioned the economy in a sentence about the Wall Street crash, but would you class the Young Plan and Dawes Plan as economic? I put that.
I think we're supposed to focus on if the democratic experiment 'must' be seen as a success, so you have to include the democratic nature, yeah the economy feeds into it but i think that question was about how you apply your interpretation.

Fingers crossed!
givemestrength
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by weirdnessandcoffee)
Did exactly the same as you- only mentioned the economy in a sentence about the Wall Street crash, but would you class the Young Plan and Dawes Plan as economic? I put that.
I think we're supposed to focus on if the democratic experiment 'must' be seen as a success, so you have to include the democratic nature, yeah the economy feeds into it but i think that question was about how you apply your interpretation.

Fingers crossed!
Yh i spoke to my teacher about it today and he said it was okay - you could CHOOSE to bring economy in but they wanted to focus on democracy hence why they chose that term instead of Weimar Republic.....hopefully lol

Trust me - everything is crossed !
samuelsparks
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I answered the Weimar question. I did two paragraphs; successes of the 'experiment' and non-successes. I mentioned it was more progressive than the Second Reich etc and Ebert and Stresseman then wrote about how it was corrupt with Article 48 and the putschs etc.

Section B was good, easy to cross-reference. However, I don't think I analysed well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (98)
50%
No (98)
50%

Watched Threads