The Slut / Stud Double Standard - Is This Natural? Watch

Poll: The slut / stud double standard - what do you think?
I'm a man. I think it is natural. Promiscuous men achieve something difficult. Promiscuous women do something easy. (28)
35%
I'm a man. I think we need to get rid of this double standard. (How?) (23)
28.75%
I'm a woman. I think it is natural. Promiscuous men achieve something difficult. Promiscuous women do something easy. (5)
6.25%
I'm a woman. I think we need to get rid of this double standard. (How?) (24)
30%
drake10
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
One thing feminazis like complaining about is the slut / stud double standard. Men who sleep around are applauded (by some), while women who sleep around are looked down upon.

I claim this is perfectly natural and will never change. Sperm is cheap, eggs are scarce - therefore it is much easier for a woman to sleep around than for a man. We respect people who do difficult things (e.g. sleeping around if you are a man), not easy things (e.g. sleeping around if you are a woman).

In effect, it is not a double standard - it is two different standards, because each gender has evolved to want different things.

Furthermore, for most of human history promiscuity was frowned upon from both genders. (I still have this view.) Women are free to ignore traditional wisdom and desire promiscuous men, but that doesn't mean men should start desiring sluts. Men are simply following ancient wisdom that is probably hardwired into us by evolution - promiscuous women are a bad idea for marriage (but good for easy casual sex if that is you thing :sexface:).

Modern research supports this traditional wisdom - women with more sexual partners are found to have a higher divorce risk.

This handy info-graphic is fantastic:

What do you think? Do you think this will ever change?
vickidc18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're boring always the same bloody posts get off tsr and do something meaningful instead of moaning about women all day. Yawn.
iammeyouareyou
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think a comedian said something like 'A lock that can be opened by many keys is a really **** lock but a key that opens many locks is a master-key'. It tickled me.
Spetznaaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You gotta slow down on these threads Bro, it won't let me rep you anymore!
CaptainDudeson
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Although I agree somewhat with the first statement, I firmly believe that the only men who 'slut shame' women are just butthurt because they can't get any.
lucaf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree that explains why there is a double standard, but that doesn't make it right. Men and women both enjoy sex, for a man to go out and enjoy himself and then to criticize women for doing the same is just plain hypocrisy. Sex is no longer strictly reproductive, so trying to base your sexual morals on arguments grounded in reproduction is fundamentally flawed.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would have thought it was quite natural. Historically and biologically, the aim of a male would be to spread his genes as far and wide as possible, in order to reproduce as much as possible. For his genes to have the best chance of survival into future generations, he would want to impregnate as many women as he could. The natural aim of a female would not have been to sleep with as many men as possible, because once she had been impregnated once, it wouldn't happen again for at least another 9 months. From an evolutionary perspective, there'd be no point. The capacity for reproduction is lower for a female than for a male, so instead, the aim would be to capture a man who was going to produce good quality offspring, and then stick around long enough after the birth of the child, to help protect and provide for the family. Therefore, for males, it was more about quantity, whereas for females it was more about quality.

Because the nature of males and females developed differently, the effects have carried through to today, and entered into our societal norms. Men who sleep with many women are considered to have succeeded in fulfilling their natural instincts, whereas women who do the same are considered to have failed in selecting the best partner, and then getting him to stick around afterwards, which is a failure to fulfil their natural instincts.
imtelling
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do people really respect men that sleep around?
Armin.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How is it harder for a man to sleep around than it is for a woman?

Are you projecting your own failed attempts at courting unsuspecting females onto the rest of us OP?

You sound really bitter. Chill bro.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iammeyouareyou)
I think a comedian said something like 'A lock that can be opened by many keys is a really **** lock but a key that opens many locks is a master-key'. It tickled me.
:lol:
lucaf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iammeyouareyou)
I heard as a response:

"a sharpener that can sharpen lots of pencils is a good sharpener, but a pencil that gets sharpened too many times is useless as a pencil"
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've always interpreted slut as a female version of stud. Besides, I always thought a slut was someone who slept around so much it would ruin other people's relationships.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by drake10)
One thing feminazis like complaining about is the slut / stud double standard. Men who sleep around are applauded (by some), while women who sleep around are looked down upon.

I claim this is perfectly natural and will never change. Sperm is cheap, eggs are scarce - therefore it is much easier for a woman to sleep around than for a man. We respect people who do difficult things (e.g. sleeping around if you are a man), not easy things (e.g. sleeping around if you are a woman).

In effect, it is not a double standard - it is two different standards, because each gender has evolved to want different things.

Furthermore, for most of human history promiscuity was frowned upon from both genders. (I still have this view.) Women are free to ignore traditional wisdom and desire promiscuous men, but that doesn't mean men should start desiring sluts. Men are simply following ancient wisdom that is probably hardwired into us by evolution - promiscuous women are a bad idea for marriage (but good for easy casual sex if that is you thing :sexface:).

Modern research supports this traditional wisdom - women with more sexual partners are found to have a higher divorce risk.

This handy info-graphic is fantastic:

What do you think? Do you think this will ever change?

It doesn't really exist once you get to uni. Only teenagers and the occasional creepy sexist really believe in it. Normal adults are more concerned about making their own lifestyle choices rather than judging other people's.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh, and the crappy "reasons" don't actually apply since the pill was invented 50 ****ing years ago, do they.

People really need to catch up to the fact that it is 2014 and people can **** whoever they want, however they want, whenever they want.
forsparta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cole-slaw)
Oh, and the crappy "reasons" don't actually apply since the pill was invented 50 ****ing years ago, do they.

People really need to catch up to the fact that it is 2014 and people can **** whoever they want, however they want, whenever they want.
sounds like some necrophilia endorsement right here
brunettegirl92
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This has got to be one of the most idiotic things I've ever read. And your girlfriend must be one of the most sexually unsatisfied women in the land, because only a man who has failed to satisfy a woman, would not understand why she would want sex.

Firstly, women LOVE sex. Apparently, we have twice as many nerve endings in and around our vaginas than men do in their penises. I mean, if a bloke does it right, we'll want more. So women do want sex. The only question is who with. In the days of sexual liberation, this totally depends on how the woman thinks. I see it as a somewhat spiritual act, and as such I am picky. Other women see it as a physical exercise, and little or no more - its purely for physical pleasure.

Men I guess are the same. Some, like some women, see it as a physical act and will sleep with who they have mutual feelings of attraction with. Others will share the way I feel about sex, and will only sleep with someone within a relationship.
And you know what one of the few great things about the 21st century Britain are? Both are completely acceptable. Its all about how the individual personally perceives sex.

Note: If we don't sleep around, we're *****es and the likes of Elliot Rodgers will shoot us if we say no to him. If we aren't '*****es' and do sleep with men, the likes of you call us sluts. Please Drake10, in your infinite wisdom, tell us women what to do so we are neither *****es who get shot, or sluts who are the subject of your contempt.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lucaf)
I agree that explains why there is a double standard, but that doesn't make it right. Men and women both enjoy sex, for a man to go out and enjoy himself and then to criticize women for doing the same is just plain hypocrisy. Sex is no longer strictly reproductive, so trying to base your sexual morals on arguments grounded in reproduction is fundamentally flawed.
Please rate some other members before rating this member again.
Comus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just because something is "natural" doesn't make it right, and with the development of contraception since the early 20th century, the double standard is an anachronism.
vickidc18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its hard for women to get a decent boyfriend, etc, a man who isn't just interested in sex but interested in love & commitment women might be the gatekeepers to sex, but men are the gatekeepers to commitment.
Alludeen1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is the sort of thing that causes me to have more female friends than male friends. The number one priority for the stereotypical male neanderthal who plays football, gets pissed at the pub and had the IQ of a pea pod (a stereotype to which many men belong) idolises the man who **** as many women as possible. When are these types of men going to grow up and realise that this stupid lad culture has no place in a modern society?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (49)
24.62%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (64)
32.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (37)
18.59%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (17)
8.54%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
16.08%

Watched Threads