Turn on thread page Beta

I make no apologies for posting this here, as it concerns virtually everyone who here and ever
    receives or sends a letter.

The Post Office is about to be turned into another Railtrack. The Postal Services Commission
    announced proposals today that will all most certainly destroy the Post Office and regular
    collections and deliveries as we know them. Something similar was done a while ago in Sweden: the
    price of sending a letter there has gone up by 60%, the service has reduced and the private company
    that used to be their post office made a loss of £1,00,000 last year. The Government are pretending
    that this is nothing to do with them, but the Post Office is still a public service, and still owned
    by the state - that's us! You can "express your opinion" to the Postal Services Commission at:
    [email protected]

PLEASE help save our Post Office.

--
    Edwood

They'll sell anything for a buck. What ever happened to "look to the future"?

"Edwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> I make no apologies for posting this here, as it concerns virtually everyone who here and ever[/q1]
    [q1]> receives or sends a letter.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> The Post Office is about to be turned into another Railtrack. The Postal Services Commission[/q1]
    [q1]> announced proposals today that will all most certainly destroy the Post Office and regular[/q1]
    [q1]> collections and deliveries as we know them. Something similar was done a while ago in Sweden: the[/q1]
    [q1]> price of sending a letter there has gone up by 60%, the service has reduced and the private[/q1]
    [q1]> company that used to be their post office made a loss of £1,00,000 last year. The Government are[/q1]
    [q1]> pretending that this is nothing to do with them, but the Post Office is still a public service,[/q1]
    [q1]> and still owned by the state - that's us! You can "express your opinion" to the Postal Services[/q1]
    [q1]> Commission at: [email protected][/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> PLEASE help save our Post Office.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> --[/q1]
    [q1]> Edwood[/q1]

I did try to send a message to the address given, but it was rejected. Anyone else had the same
    problem or are they just afraid of my vitriol?

Edwood wrote in message ...
    [q1]>I make no apologies for posting this here, as it concerns virtually everyone who here and ever[/q1]
    [q1]>receives or sends a letter.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>The Post Office is about to be turned into another Railtrack. You can[/q1]
    "express your
    [q1]>opinion" to the Postal Services Commission at: [email protected][/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>PLEASE help save our Post Office.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>--[/q1]
    [q1]>Edwood[/q1]

[q1]>I did try to send a message to the address given, but it was rejected. Anyone else had the same[/q1]
    [q1]>problem or are they just afraid of my vitriol?[/q1]

There is a typing error in the original message - the email should be

[email protected]

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
    Get lost before sending a reply

Any speliong mistakes aR the result of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

I have to say that what I find really scary is the very real threat of strike. What about our TMAs
    and CMAs that have to go through the post?

"Edwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [q1]> I make no apologies for posting this here, as it concerns virtually everyone who here and ever[/q1]
    [q1]> receives or sends a letter.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> The Post Office is about to be turned into another Railtrack. The Postal Services Commission[/q1]
    [q1]> announced proposals today that will all most certainly destroy the Post Office and regular[/q1]
    [q1]> collections and deliveries as we know them. Something similar was done a while ago in Sweden: the[/q1]
    [q1]> price of sending a letter there has gone up by 60%, the service has reduced and the private[/q1]
    [q1]> company that used to be their post office made a loss of £1,00,000 last year. The Government are[/q1]
    [q1]> pretending that this is nothing to do with them, but the Post Office is still a public service,[/q1]
    [q1]> and still owned by the state - that's us! You can "express your opinion" to the Postal Services[/q1]
    [q1]> Commission at: [email protected][/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> PLEASE help save our Post Office.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> --[/q1]
    [q1]> Edwood[/q1]

So long as you have a certificate of posting, it's not your problem if it gets there late.

"Scott PA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [q1]> I have to say that what I find really scary is the very real threat of strike. What about our TMAs[/q1]
    [q1]> and CMAs that have to go through the post?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> "Edwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> > I make no apologies for posting this here, as it concerns virtually everyone who here and ever[/q2]
    [q2]> > receives or sends a letter.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > The Post Office is about to be turned into another Railtrack. The Postal Services Commission[/q2]
    [q2]> > announced proposals today that will all most certainly destroy the Post Office and regular[/q2]
    [q2]> > collections and deliveries as we know them. Something similar was done a while ago in Sweden:[/q2]
    [q2]> > the price of sending a letter there has gone up by 60%, the service has reduced and the private[/q2]
    [q2]> > company that used to be their post office made a loss of £1,00,000 last year. The Government are[/q2]
    [q2]> > pretending that this is nothing to do with them, but the Post Office is still a public service,[/q2]
    [q2]> > and still owned by the state - that's us! You can "express your opinion" to the Postal Services[/q2]
    [q2]> > Commission at: [email protected][/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > PLEASE help save our Post Office.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > --[/q2]
    [q2]> > Edwood[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:55:06 -0000, "Scott PA" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>I have to say that what I find really scary is the very real threat of strike. What about our TMAs[/q1]
    [q1]>and CMAs that have to go through the post?[/q1]

You mean "what about the very real threat of even more strikes?"

nerkul

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:55:06 -0000, "Scott PA" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>I have to say that what I find really scary is the very real threat of strike. What about our TMAs[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

During last year's dispute I had two TMAs due. For one tutor I sent the TMA as an email attachment.
    The other tutor sent an email giving an automatic extension until things got back to normal.

What I find more worrying is coming to a halt if the second mailings are delayed.

John Roberts-Jones, in Liverpool.

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:55:06 -0000, "Scott PA" <[email protected]> threw teddy out of the
    pram and wailed:

[q1]>What about our TMAs and CMAs that have to go through the post?[/q1]

The easiest solution to this is to take your stuff to the post office and give it to them over the
    counter - if you do that, you can ask for a certificate of posting which will be date-stamped.

Then all you need to do is ring your tutor and say that you have posted your work and you have a
    certificate to prove the date you sent it, that way you shouldn't be penalised if industrial action
    by the postal service causes your work to be late.

mups "Abashed, the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is"

Two solutions at least..

Certificate of posting - already mentioned on other posts.

Recorded Delivery - You get proof you've posted it, as you have your receipt from the PO and there's
    a signature taken at the other end to show it was delivered.

I run a business which involves sending clients personal documents through the post. I *always* use
    Recorded delivery for this - it protects me!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
    Get lost before sending a reply

Any speliong mistakes aR the result of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

On 03 Feb 2002 20:20:18 GMT, [email protected] (WafflycatHCS) wrote:

[q1]>Recorded Delivery - You get proof you've posted it, as you have your receipt from the PO and[/q1]
    [q1]>there's a signature taken at the other end to show it was delivered.[/q1]

I think you'll find that many tutors dislike Recorded Delivery as they may have to go and collect it
    if they're not at home for the initial delivery attempt.

Cheers

John Mac

Recorded delivery is your proof it was _delivered_. A certificate of posting is your proof it was
    posted. If I were a tutor who lived miles from the post office, and had to spend considerable time
    and money retrieving the posts because of the need for a signature, I think I would be less than
    sympathetic about the 'marginal' sections of a TMA when I was considering the marks to award 8-)

Tutors seem very relaxed about delayed TMAs if you insist that they were posted - the general
    assumption is that you are not a liar (unless the evidence proves otherwise). If you are somewhat
    paranoid, why not arrange with your tutor to send an email to say 'I posted it on such a date at
    4pm', or even send a duplicate version by email?

Keith

WafflycatHCS <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [q2]> >I think you'll find that many tutors dislike Recorded Delivery as they may have to go and collect[/q2]
    [q2]> >it if they're not at home for the initial delivery attempt.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >Cheers[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >John Mac[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Tough, basically. Recorded Delivery is *my* proof that I posted it - when[/q1]
    I
    [q1]> posted it and that it's been delivered - with signature to *prove* this.[/q1]
    If my
    [q1]> passing a course depends on a TMA getting there by a specific date - then[/q1]
    I'll
    [q1]> make sure *I* take all reasonable steps to show *I* did what was needed.[/q1]
    Then,
    [q1]> in case of any dispute - *I'm* on solid ground to show this.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Cheers, helen s[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> ~~~~~~~~~~[/q1]
    [q1]> Get lost before sending a reply[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Any speliong mistakes aR the result of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd[/q1]
    [q1]> ~~~~~~~~~~[/q1]

"Keith W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> on such a date at 4pm', or even send a duplicate version by email?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Keith[/q1]

You think all tutors are on email or even know what it is? You are clearly doing nothing but
    technology courses! :-) mikej

On 04 Feb 2002 06:55:23 GMT, [email protected] (WafflycatHCS) wrote:

[q2]>>I think you'll find that many tutors dislike Recorded Delivery as they may have to go and collect[/q2]
    [q2]>>it if they're not at home for the initial delivery attempt.[/q2]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>>Cheers[/q2]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>>John Mac[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Tough, basically. Recorded Delivery is *my* proof that I posted it - when I posted it and that it's[/q1]
    [q1]>been delivered - with signature to *prove* this.[/q1]

No signature if they have to pick it up from despatch building, for what it's worth. Certificate
    of Posting is definitely the way to go. Then you only have to get annoyed when the post office
    is closed.

nerkul

As an ex tutor for the OU, I agree!!! It is NOT necessary to use recorded delivery, a certificate of
    posting is fine, you are wasting money, and potentially winding up the tutor!

"Keith W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> Recorded delivery is your proof it was _delivered_. A certificate of posting is your proof it was[/q1]
    [q1]> posted. If I were a tutor who lived miles[/q1]
    from
    [q1]> the post office, and had to spend considerable time and money retrieving[/q1]
    the
    [q1]> posts because of the need for a signature, I think I would be less than sympathetic about the[/q1]
    [q1]> 'marginal' sections of a TMA when I was considering the marks to award 8-)[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Tutors seem very relaxed about delayed TMAs if you insist that they were posted - the general[/q1]
    [q1]> assumption is that you are not a liar (unless the evidence proves otherwise). If you are somewhat[/q1]
    [q1]> paranoid, why not arrange with your tutor to send an email to say 'I posted it on such a date at[/q1]
    [q1]> 4pm', or even send a duplicate version by email?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Keith[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> WafflycatHCS <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q3]> > >I think you'll find that many tutors dislike Recorded Delivery as they may have to go and[/q3]
    [q3]> > >collect it if they're not at home for the initial delivery attempt.[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > >Cheers[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > >John Mac[/q3]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Tough, basically. Recorded Delivery is *my* proof that I posted it -[/q2]
    when
    [q1]> I[/q1]
    [q2]> > posted it and that it's been delivered - with signature to *prove* this.[/q2]
    [q1]> If my[/q1]
    [q2]> > passing a course depends on a TMA getting there by a specific date -[/q2]
    then
    [q1]> I'll[/q1]
    [q2]> > make sure *I* take all reasonable steps to show *I* did what was needed.[/q2]
    [q1]> Then,[/q1]
    [q2]> > in case of any dispute - *I'm* on solid ground to show this.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Cheers, helen s[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > ~~~~~~~~~~[/q2]
    [q2]> > Get lost before sending a reply[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Any speliong mistakes aR the result of my cats sitting on the[/q2]
    keyboaRRRDdd
    [q2]> > ~~~~~~~~~~[/q2]

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 12:45:57 +1000, "Mandy Downing" <[email protected]> threw teddy out of the
    pram and wailed:

[q1]>As an ex tutor for the OU, I agree!!! It is NOT necessary to use recorded delivery, a certificate[/q1]
    [q1]>of posting is fine, you are wasting money, and potentially winding up the tutor![/q1]

Just slipping in my 2 euro's worth....

Every course I've taken with OU, the tutor has expressly told us not to use recorded delivery or
    anything that requires a signature - certificate of posting is adequate proof (and of course,
    keeping a copy of your work!) that work was despatched on time.

Quite often you will find that your tutor is involved in more than one course, which means there's
    the potential for a large number of students to all be sending recorded delivery mail - involving
    the poor soul in numerous trips to a post office that may be well out of the way for them.

'kay...going back to my corner now!

mups "Abashed, the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is"

[email protected] (bob nerkul) wrote in message news:<[email protected] penworld.com>...
    [q1]> On 04 Feb 2002 06:55:23 GMT, [email protected] (WafflycatHCS) wrote:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]> >>I think you'll find that many tutors dislike Recorded Delivery as they may have to go and[/q2]
    [q2]> >>collect it if they're not at home for the initial delivery attempt.[/q2]
    [q2]> >>[/q2]
    [q2]> >>Cheers[/q2]
    [q2]> >>[/q2]
    [q2]> >>John Mac[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >Tough, basically. Recorded Delivery is *my* proof that I posted it - when I posted it and that[/q2]
    [q2]> >it's been delivered - with signature to *prove* this.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> No signature if they have to pick it up from despatch building, for what it's worth. Certificate[/q1]
    [q1]> of Posting is definitely the way to go. Then you only have to get annoyed when the post office[/q1]
    [q1]> is closed.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> nerkul[/q1]

Recorded delivery is only effective if the actual document is placed into the system by a post
    office official - having been handed documents back by local post office plebs and asked to put them
    in the post bag out on the shop floor "because the postman will be in shortly" is a recipe for
    disaster. An illegal use of the system, plus a potential criminal act having open mail bags sitting
    in shop floor space. I've seen poeple walk out of post offices with their recorded documents in
    their hands alomst chuckling with glee - obviously something they didn't want to send, but they've
    got the proof that it was sent....!! Still that's another nail in the coffin of what was once a
    great institution and letting corner stores with owners who have corner store mentality take on
    post-office franchies was another nail.

I had a funny experience with recorded delivery. Sent off a TMA via post office's recorded delivery
    (I believe as suggested by the OU handbook). About a MONTH later I found what I thought was my
    marked TMA laying on the door mat one morning, only to find that my TMA had simply been returned to
    me without ever getting to my tutor because the tutor did not sign for
    it/did not go and pick it up from the post office.

Just confirms that OU really sucks a lot of the time.

"Antoinette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [q1]> [email protected] (bob nerkul) wrote in message[/q1]
    news:<[email protected] penworld.com>...
    [q2]> > On 04 Feb 2002 06:55:23 GMT, [email protected] (WafflycatHCS) wrote:[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q3]> > >>I think you'll find that many tutors dislike Recorded Delivery as they may have to go and[/q3]
    [q3]> > >>collect it if they're not at home for the initial delivery attempt.[/q3]
    [q3]> > >>[/q3]
    [q3]> > >>Cheers[/q3]
    [q3]> > >>[/q3]
    [q3]> > >>John Mac[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > >Tough, basically. Recorded Delivery is *my* proof that I posted it -[/q3]
    when I
    [q3]> > >posted it and that it's been delivered - with signature to *prove*[/q3]
    this.
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > No signature if they have to pick it up from despatch building, for what it's worth. Certificate[/q2]
    [q2]> > of Posting is definitely the way to go. Then you only have to get annoyed when the post office[/q2]
    [q2]> > is closed.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > nerkul[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Recorded delivery is only effective if the actual document is placed into the system by a post[/q1]
    [q1]> office official - having been handed documents back by local post office plebs and asked to put[/q1]
    [q1]> them in the post bag out on the shop floor "because the postman will be in shortly" is a recipe[/q1]
    [q1]> for disaster. An illegal use of the system, plus a potential criminal act having open mail bags[/q1]
    [q1]> sitting in shop floor space. I've seen poeple walk out of post offices with their recorded[/q1]
    [q1]> documents in their hands alomst chuckling with glee - obviously something they didn't want to[/q1]
    [q1]> send, but they've got the proof that it was sent....!! Still that's another nail in the coffin of[/q1]
    [q1]> what was once a great institution and letting corner stores with owners who have corner store[/q1]
    [q1]> mentality take on post-office franchies was another nail.[/q1]

Certificate of Posting is what the OU recommend. Just imagine you work 9-5 and get home at 6 or 7pm,
    and come TMA Week you have to try and get to the Postal Depot before they close. on 5 or more
    consecutive nights!!. Some tutors, living in the sticks may have to travel 10 miles to their nearest
    Depot!! No wonder they are so keen not to have recorded TMAs!!

"Butterfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [q1]> I had a funny experience with recorded delivery. Sent off a TMA via post office's recorded[/q1]
    [q1]> delivery (I believe as suggested by the OU handbook). About a MONTH later I found what I thought[/q1]
    [q1]> was my marked TMA laying on the door mat one morning, only to find that my TMA had simply been[/q1]
    [q1]> returned to me without ever getting to my tutor because the tutor did not sign for[/q1]
    [q1]> it/did not go and pick it up from the post office.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Just confirms that OU really sucks a lot of the time.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> "Antoinette" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q2]> > [email protected] (bob nerkul) wrote in message[/q2]
    [q1]> news:<[email protected] penworld.com>...[/q1]
    [q3]> > > On 04 Feb 2002 06:55:23 GMT, [email protected] (WafflycatHCS) wrote:[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >>I think you'll find that many tutors dislike Recorded Delivery as[/q3]
    they
    [q3]> > > >>may have to go and collect it if they're not at home for the initial delivery attempt.[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >>[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >>Cheers[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >>[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >>John Mac[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >Tough, basically. Recorded Delivery is *my* proof that I posted it -[/q3]
    [q1]> when I[/q1]
    [q3]> > > >posted it and that it's been delivered - with signature to *prove*[/q3]
    [q1]> this.[/q1]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > No signature if they have to pick it up from despatch building, for what it's worth.[/q3]
    [q3]> > > Certificate of Posting is definitely the way to go. Then you only have to get annoyed when the[/q3]
    [q3]> > > post office is closed.[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > nerkul[/q3]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Recorded delivery is only effective if the actual document is placed into the system by a post[/q2]
    [q2]> > office official - having been handed documents back by local post office plebs and asked to put[/q2]
    [q2]> > them in the post bag out on the shop floor "because the postman will be in shortly" is a recipe[/q2]
    [q2]> > for disaster. An illegal use of the system, plus a potential criminal act having open mail bags[/q2]
    [q2]> > sitting in shop floor space. I've seen poeple walk out of post offices with their recorded[/q2]
    [q2]> > documents in their hands alomst chuckling with glee - obviously something they didn't want to[/q2]
    [q2]> > send, but they've got the proof that it was sent....!! Still that's another nail in the coffin[/q2]
    [q2]> > of what was once a great institution and letting corner stores with owners who have corner store[/q2]
    [q2]> > mentality take on post-office franchies was another nail.[/q2]

"Butterfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <font color=green>> I had a funny experience with recorded delivery. Sent off a TMA via post office's recorded</font>
    <font color=green>> delivery (I believe as suggested by the OU handbook). About a MONTH later I found what I thought</font>
    <font color=green>> was my marked TMA laying on the door mat one morning, only to find that my TMA had simply been</font>
    <font color=green>> returned to me without ever getting to my tutor because the tutor did not sign for</font>
    <font color=green>> it/did not go and pick it up from the post office.</font>

Every tutor I have every had has asked student NOT to use recorded delivery. It is thoughtless and
    time consuming - they don't get paid to go pick things up from the post office ... if they can get
    to one in the specified hours. The OU recommends a proof of posting certificate, which I used for
    every TMA I ever sent and it costs nothing.

diane
    Attached Images

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.