?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iamspiderman)
I know about collision theory, and factors that influence that will influence the rate of reaction as when species collide- a reaction occurs

I know how temp and surface area effect the rate of reaction.
How does concentration of ions and catalysts affect it??
Logically, the higher the concentration the more frequent the collisions and the faster the reaction.

Catalysts increase the rate of reaction by providing an alternative mechanism with a lower activation energy.
Merdan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iamspiderman)
I know about collision theory, and factors that influence that will influence the rate of reaction as when species collide- a reaction occurs

I know how temp and surface area effect the rate of reaction.
How does concentration of ions and catalysts affect it??
Here is what you can write in an exam:
Using a catalyst provides an alternative route for the reaction to take place and this alternative route has lower activation energy. Due to the lower activation energy, greater proportion of particles in a substance exceed the activation energy so more frequent collisions are present. Then you can draw the Maxwell boltzman distribution curve to show with and without use of catalyst and conclude that it increased the rate of reaction.

For concentration: When concentration is increased the number of particles (amount in mol) per unit volume increases. This means the frequency of collisions increase and more successful collisions are present in the substance. Therefore the rate of reaction increases.

These are the things you can write for high mark questions....

Other two factors that affect the rate of reaction and you need to know are pressure and surface area.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads