The Student Room Group

What's your average MPG?

Mine hovers around 20mpg

Oh so you're JusDOrange.

I thought you were Traintracks!
Reply 2
Sticking around 45mpg at the moment. Probably 75/25 city/motorway. My highest is 58mpg and lowest is about 36 I think? It's gotten slightly better on average since I fitted bigger injectors. More power and more economy, who can complain?!

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/camerajack/golf

(And no, my miles/dates aren't lying, I fairly regularly put down 200-400 miles in day or so. My average is around 200 miles/week but I do quite a lot of motorway/long distance driving too).
(edited 9 years ago)
Hovering around 25MPG at the moment, purely urban start/stop driving.

During winter, the figure for the exact same driving conditions was around 22MPG.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Around 39MPG I think, but I drive slow as hell to get that, boring, but 90% of the time I end up at the same set of lights 6 miles down the road as the people who fly past and jump on the brakes at the last moment. Difference is they paid more to get there in that time.
Original post by Friggerpants
Oh so you're JusDOrange.

I thought you were Traintracks!

Who? :wink:

But yes that's the effect of a heavy right foot
I do about 40-45mpg, '05 BMW 118d.
Reply 7
16 on a run. 12 ish round town?
38.6 atm, not sure why it's so low for a 1.2, highest I've had it is about 42mpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
ranging from I guess 27- 33 MPG I think, very rarely if I'm lucky about 37 - 38 including motorway driving

I drive as easy and eco as possible as well most of the time
Mine's 42mpg and doesn't really change at all. Mainly do city driving and back country roads, have a lot of time stuck in traffic in town but doesn't seem to make much of a difference! My car is a 1.6L Mini One 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
40mpg in a new 1.2 Fiat 500 driving in suburbs
47 mpg, in mi Vectra DTi
52mpg town driving 1.6 TDI

Drove a ford focus estate ecomotive last week through work and it managed 60+mpg for the entire trip regardless of how I drove it. Scorcery involved in think!
Original post by mattcam94
38.6 atm, not sure why it's so low for a 1.2, highest I've had it is about 42mpg

It's not just the car and its engine, but how you drive it. I used to have a 1.2 Corsa that struggled to get 24, but that's because it didn't have enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding and thus I used to thrash the bum off it to try and get it to do something. I also had a Subaru Impreza WRX that I managed to get 33mpg from.
If you want more MPG then look and plan well ahead to try and maintain speed, trying to never brake and certainly not stop if at all possible. Reacting late and jumping on the brakes to a stop is most peoples mistake. Adjust speed in plenty of time down by downshifting and using engine braking, which shuts the fuelling system down while on over-run. The less speed you shed, the less you have to regain. Gaining speed uses lots of fuel, sitting still uses a little fuel. Maintaining speed uses a little, slowing on over-run uses none. Braking simply throws away all the hard work and money spent achieving momentum. Try to never use gas when going downhill, and minimal brake use to control speed. If you're on the gas, you need a higher gear. If you're braking too much, either you need a lower gear, or it's a really steep hill that engine braking can't control.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Walter Ego
x

Yeah I get that but I mean I have a blackbox so it sort of requires me to drive calmly giving enough time for steady breaking etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mattcam94
Yeah I get that but I mean I have a blackbox so it sort of requires me to drive calmly giving enough time for steady breaking etc

You can still drive calmly. The snooper monitors your rates of acceleration and deceleration, not how you achieve them. As long as you don't exceed speed limits or drive erratically then it will be happy.
Reply 17
69.7 on my last drive, Skoda
17 Average. 30-35 on a run. Not bad from a car that can do 60-100 in under 6 seconds.
Mine does 53 on average mainly pdriving on fast backroads at about 70-75 mph

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending