The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Psychology Unit 1 june 3rd 2014

Does anyone know a good way to understand Gregory's theory of illusions? hate it so much hahaha

Scroll to see replies

Original post by j5994
Does anyone know a good way to understand Gregory's theory of illusions? hate it so much hahaha

I need help on this too..
Bump!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by beckyrebecca
Bump!

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you have any idea? like my textbook hardly says anything on it haha
Original post by j5994

Same its really confusing:s-smilie:
All i know is that he can explain distortions well and some ambiguous figures
He explains the Muller-lyer illusion by saying the smaller looking one looks like the front of a box(?) so it is perceived as closer to us and scaled down which is why we see it smaller than the other one.

What textbook do you have?:smile:
Original post by j5994

How did you find it? Glad Gregory didn't come up!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
How did you find it? Glad Gregory didn't come up!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got the one with chess pieces on it for some reason hahah, yeah it was good but that means boundaries are gonna be high :frown:. What did u put for the eyewitness experiment, like the control variable when they were stealing the shoes?
Reply 6
Original post by j5994
I've got the one with chess pieces on it for some reason hahah, yeah it was good but that means boundaries are gonna be high :frown:. What did u put for the eyewitness experiment, like the control variable when they were stealing the shoes?

I put time of day:\ I've seen it on a past mark scheme before but I'm not sure, like the light/darkness of the day would effect schemas and what they could see or something like that
Reply 7
I made a mistake in one of the tick boxes where I crossed out the box, then realised it was correct. I drew a new tick box, will I still get the mark?
Would the number of people be a control. I wasn't entirely sure and that doesn't seem right.
Reply 9
Original post by _lauren98
I made a mistake in one of the tick boxes where I crossed out the box, then realised it was correct. I drew a new tick box, will I still get the mark?

No
Just got back home from the exam :bawling: I think my brains dead to be honest. On the bright side i no longer have two exams on the same day(goddamn economics!). Bit annoyed about how they wrote some of their questions. When they were asking to tick boxes on Freuds strengths and weakness there were a few that could have been either. Am i the only one who thinks this?

meh one down two to go. (for psychology anyway :frown:)
what subjects came up? i did this exam last year and was mentoring some gcse students in my spare time
Original post by abbie_h11
No

thank you kind lady I've never met before.
Original post by Craig1998
Would the number of people be a control. I wasn't entirely sure and that doesn't seem right.

I put this as well! How did you explain it?
With the strength and weaknesses of the little hans case study, our teacher told us afterwards that the first one is irrelevant, the second is a strength, the 3rd and 4th are weaknesses and the last one is a strength.

For the one about the pictures in dreams, I wrote about the amount of time the shoppers were looking at the friends for- it was hard to control because they couldn't be told to watch as then they would not observe normally, but if one shopper watched for longer than another, then the first shopper will remember the scene more accurately than the second shopper, which could affect the results.

Was it just me, or did the exam feel really short? I was on the last page within half an hour... I normally get A*s in the other psycho papers that we have done in class, but this one felt a bit harder (for me anyway)
For the control, I put the number of people and it would be difficult to control that because they can't force people to leave or enter the shop however, it's important to control that as the number of people in a shop affects the attention of the shoppers and how likely they are to witness the theft of the shoes. If the number of people is roughly kept the same, then their attention will be equal and they will have an equal chance of observing what's going around them in the shop and perhaps the theft.

Overall it was a very good paper for me. What did you guys right for the question to do with colours and cars. There were two very similar questions to do with the colour of the cars. I chose Cones and Visual cortex but a girl in my class picked cones twice, did anyone do this?
Original post by Devinely
Just got back home from the exam :bawling: I think my brains dead to be honest. On the bright side i no longer have two exams on the same day(goddamn economics!). Bit annoyed about how they wrote some of their questions. When they were asking to tick boxes on Freuds strengths and weakness there were a few that could have been either. Am i the only one who thinks this?

meh one down two to go. (for psychology anyway :frown:)

There was a trick question in that and 3/4 of my classmates fell for it. It said Freud was objective which is false. He was objective. That was the option you were meant to leave blank.

Strengths: Detailed info through letters and Little Hans' dad observed him a lot.

Weaknesses: Little Hans' dad knew about Freud's theory and Freud rarely saw little hans.
Bump!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that this is a bit late, but I made a load of mind maps about perception (and all the other topics) and there is a bit on gregory's theory. I think its on the "perception image" one... I could upload the rest if you find them useful :redface: Hope this helps!
Original post by Grace613
With the strength and weaknesses of the little hans case study, our teacher told us afterwards that the first one is irrelevant, the second is a strength, the 3rd and 4th are weaknesses and the last one is a strength.

For the one about the pictures in dreams, I wrote about the amount of time the shoppers were looking at the friends for- it was hard to control because they couldn't be told to watch as then they would not observe normally, but if one shopper watched for longer than another, then the first shopper will remember the scene more accurately than the second shopper, which could affect the results.

Was it just me, or did the exam feel really short? I was on the last page within half an hour... I normally get A*s in the other psycho papers that we have done in class, but this one felt a bit harder (for me anyway)

Yay I put that for the little Hans question!!
And I also wrote that for the shoppers question, I sat there for ages thinking what it was asking!
And I was finished in 25 minutes so I just added to my 5 mark question in section A

Did anyone need extra paper for the 5 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SeniOyewumi
For the control, I put the number of people and it would be difficult to control that because they can't force people to leave or enter the shop however, it's important to control that as the number of people in a shop affects the attention of the shoppers and how likely they are to witness the theft of the shoes. If the number of people is roughly kept the same, then their attention will be equal and they will have an equal chance of observing what's going around them in the shop and perhaps the theft.

Overall it was a very good paper for me. What did you guys right for the question to do with colours and cars. There were two very similar questions to do with the colour of the cars. I chose Cones and Visual cortex but a girl in my class picked cones twice, did anyone do this?

I wrote rods the second time when it asked how she knew the difference between the white black and grey cars.. Did anyone else do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply