The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

what green card?! lol.
Reply 101
The green card is your interest free, highway to student debt, college credit card. It is what you use to pay for meals, formals and (how this ever got arranged I don't know) the bar. Basicly you pay for pretty much everything on it and pay it off at the end of each term. Simultaneously the best and worst thing they can give to students.

N.B. The card isn't actually green, it's your university card, we had a seperate green card for it at the start of our year.
Indeed, a blessing and a curse. It now sparks the termly argument with my parents about my bar bill....a lot of which is spent on muffins and diet coke...Oh damnit Joe, I want a banoffee muffin now!
wait, let me get this straight. i have to show my parents itemised billing of the bar bill!? can't i get a non itemised one!!!? damn, just when i heard college bars were cheap...
Nirish_Pete
Indeed, a blessing and a curse. It now sparks the termly argument with my parents about my bar bill....a lot of which is spent on muffins and diet coke...Oh damnit Joe, I want a banoffee muffin now!

that sounds...nice...:rolleyes:
Reply 105
Just don't show your parents the bill! It only shows how much is was spent in 'bar' or 'hall', it's vague enough to get away with, "Well I often ate lunch in the bar", or some other lame excuse.

I'm not sure how cheap are bar is actually, everthing goes on the green card so I have no idea of any prices at all.

Not a single one.
You don't have to show them...just given my current economic circumstances it is somewhat unavoidable! That and my parents have a tendency to open my mail. The lame excuses do work though. Red bull, sandwiches and coffee covered my expenditure in the bar for Easter term at any rate. If you do have to show them it doesn't say exactly, as Joe has possibly already said, what you have bought in the bar or hall, just that you have spent money there.

The bar is at least subsidised by the college. As to how much of a saving you make compared to commerical prices, like Joe I have no idea. I tend to just hand over my green card and not really think what I'm doing! :smile:
Reply 107
having the green card is ridiculous. gets you into so much trouble....specially when you're slightly merry so just think oh sod it, then go to hall the next day and your bill is up by £30.....

the bill isn't itemised. mine would probably be about ten pages or something ridiculous. i dont show my parents mine. telling them you spent £250 in the bar, and opposed to £100 in hall, well yeah. wouldn't go down well.

prices:
bottle of diet coke: £1 which is absolutely ridiculous yet i still buy them
flapjacks: 65p ish i think as are ribenas...
bottle of wine: £4 possibly the only cheap thing in the bar, however it does take some getting used to, corpus red and corpus white are practically undrinkable, i recommend mixing them to produce corpus rose....otherwise just drink nothing else but them and sooner or later you become immune to the tongue cell killing properties.....
pint of cider: 1.95 not too bad compared the pub/bar prices in cambridge, dont realy know what other colleges are like but shiiite compared to most other student bars, and indeed pubs in the north, where you can get bottles of stuff for like £1-£1.50.....speaking of bottles i dont know how much smirnoff ice etc is but im guessing around the £2.50 mark. rubbish.
pint of beer i think again is about £1.90
vodka and coke, i think is £1.75, and for doubles they actually double the price! rather than just charge another pound, or even just keep it the same price, which is what they do in lots of places in liverpooool.

so, basically if you live in london or the south, you'll probably think they're ok, but if not, you'll think they're ridiculous. which they are. one memorable occasion for me was finding out that a double vodka and coke in fez [one of the clubs] was £5.50!!!!! nearly died.
Ikkiv
having the green card is ridiculous. gets you into so much trouble....specially when you're slightly merry so just think oh sod it, then go to hall the next day and your bill is up by £30.....

the bill isn't itemised. mine would probably be about ten pages or something ridiculous. i dont show my parents mine. telling them you spent £250 in the bar, and opposed to £100 in hall, well yeah. wouldn't go down well.

prices:
bottle of diet coke: £1 which is absolutely ridiculous yet i still buy them
flapjacks: 65p ish i think as are ribenas...
bottle of wine: £4 possibly the only cheap thing in the bar, however it does take some getting used to, corpus red and corpus white are practically undrinkable, i recommend mixing them to produce corpus rose....otherwise just drink nothing else but them and sooner or later you become immune to the tongue cell killing properties.....
pint of cider: 1.95 not too bad compared the pub/bar prices in cambridge, dont realy know what other colleges are like but shiiite compared to most other student bars, and indeed pubs in the north, where you can get bottles of stuff for like £1-£1.50.....speaking of bottles i dont know how much smirnoff ice etc is but im guessing around the £2.50 mark. rubbish.
pint of beer i think again is about £1.90
vodka and coke, i think is £1.75, and for doubles they actually double the price! rather than just charge another pound, or even just keep it the same price, which is what they do in lots of places in liverpooool.

so, basically if you live in london or the south, you'll probably think they're ok, but if not, you'll think they're ridiculous. which they are. one memorable occasion for me was finding out that a double vodka and coke in fez [one of the clubs] was £5.50!!!!! nearly died.

bugger
Reply 109
Guess it's a good thing I don't drink then? My friend tried to "teach" us how to drink wine at a party a few weeks back (and apparently it was good wine, which cost equivalent of maybe around 17 pounds a bottle), and I didn't quite like it...?

Not to say I avoid alcohol altogether, I do use extremely liberal amounts of alcohol in making tiramisu, though, to the extent that my friends claim they can get drunk on my tiramisu... =P

My photo is terrible, by the way...! And non-standard to the extent that the local immigration authorities refused to accept a similar photo for my new passport... Ouch.
Reply 110
Yes. Not drinking will save you a heck of a lot of money. Or it would me. But it's a personal thing I guess. There's not really much pressure to drink, if you want to it's very easy to, and there will be people to join in with, if you don't want to then it's easy not to. Wine's nice to have in formals, but you may have to watch the old pennying....

i guess it would be a lot cheaper to buy food and cook it etc...but hall's kinda a social thing as well, it gets you out of your room, and is a great place to catch up with friends that you haven't seen all day if you've been stuck in lectures/practicals all afternoon. and it seems to be a general rule that people who you never see/haven't even heard of, are those that never go to hall.....

and yeah green card photos are gonna be fun to look back in a few years....
Ikkiv
corpus red and corpus white are practically undrinkable,

Having visited your bar several times I can attest to that. Bleurgh! I am still scared of the 'Sex Panther' drink that was sitting on the bar one time I visited and still amused by the Al Pacino drink.

PS: I know who you are :p:
You Utilitarian you. (lets see who gets it :smile: )
Reply 113
i don't get peter's thing cos i'm a stupid scientist that doesn't understand long philosophical words.....and i think the other guy may be sam's mate from london that i can't remember the name of, but got into emma.....
sex panther! erugh that was rank. and al pacino was amusing, but i cant actually remember what was in it....
Ikkiv
i don't get peter's thing cos i'm a stupid scientist that doesn't understand long philosophical words.....and i think the other guy may be sam's mate from london that i can't remember the name of, but got into emma.....
sex panther! erugh that was rank. and al pacino was amusing, but i cant actually remember what was in it....

Damn, I was hoping you wouldn't know who I was.... The Al Pacino thing was Alpen wine and Pepsi Cino wasn't it?

Have fun in Leeds btw.
Ikkiv
i don't get peter's thing cos i'm a stupid scientist that doesn't understand long philosophical words....

Aww, I didn't mean it like that :blushing: Soz! :smile:
Reply 116
Could someone look up BS 02 (Benet Street) for me, and maybe tell me a little about its location?
Reply 117
Benet Street 02, never been in there myself bit here's the jcr info...

Benet 2 is located in the Bene't Street Hostel. It is a smoking room.

The room has been rated by college as follows:
Type: 6
Area: 14
Floor: 3
Outlook: 12
Noise: -3
Basin: 4
Radiator: 6
Toilets: 9
Bathroom: 6
Gyp Room: 9
Total: 76

This room is reserved for a first-year student in 2006-2007.

Previous Occupants

In 2005-2006, Sam Galson had Benet 2 as a 1st year room.
In 2003-2004, Catharine Barbour had Benet 2 as a 1st year room. They commented on the room as follows:
"it's one of the largest rooms you can have in first year, and it has a hat-stand (the only one in college) which I find essential for putting hats on and things and a porch which may excite you in some way. It also has a huge window which opens onto the beer garden and which my friends believed was a second door. Not advisable to use when drunk or wearing a skirt, but otherwise much fun. However, its proximity to the Eagle would, i presume, make revision in the evening impossible and beer barrels dragged by the window at 6 in the morning twice a week make sleeping fairly difficult. You also have no neighbours, which makes this a pretty crap room for first years. Oh, and the corridor bit outside is one of the more fragrant in Benet St., which again could be to your taste, if you were very odd and found the smell of sewage particularly appealing. Other than that, it's a really nice room, relatively close to a gyp room and a really nice shower. And if you're thirsty of an evening, it is possible to steal any beer left on your window ledge by the charming eagle punters. Which is a bonus."

I think that description pretty much sums up the location better than I ever could, but Benet as a whole is a nice place to live, it's right next to college, your room will be towards the Kings Parade side of Benet (take a look at a map). Don't worry too much about the smell of sewage, I'm sure they're exaggurating, everyone does in their room descriptions.

Just wondering, when have they asked you to come up to Corpus? We're all been asked to come on the 24th Sep,a week earlier than we did last year, usually the room rent extends past term time by about a week and a bit, so we'll have our week before term starts as opposed to after. It'll be good if the first year does arrive then as they may be able to have a full freshers week, instead of the four days we had before being thrown into lectures.
my pack says 1st Sep (I think...my memory is pretty crappy)
Reply 119
Lol, i'm pretty sure that it doesn't!

Although it would be great to start term on Friday that may be wishful thinking!

Latest

Trending

Trending