Dropping A-Levels. Watch

ShyXandu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Basically, I'm not sure if a-levels are right for me, in the same way college is. A levels, I know, are meant to be ten times harder but I honestly can't keep up. I enjoy some of my classes, but at the end of my first year, I just don't hold a candle to any of them anymore.
I was thinking instead of continuing college, if take a few different courses that I think I might enjoy, and get a feel for them. I'm not really sure what I want to do later on in life so I think doing multiple courses will give me a few ideas I want to pursue. And also in that time get a job, part time probably but just to begin with until I've figured out what I want to do.
A-levels are just too much work for me altogether. I hand in homework late, never understanding some things even though I've asked the lecturers countless times. I had my exams last week and I felt like an idiot when I came out.
I think I picked the wrong subjects when I look at it. I love photography, butt doing it for a subject is actually more difficult than I imagined. And a lot of coursework. English combined isn't my favourite subject, mainly because it doesn't interest me. I would have rather done English literature on it's own but there was no subject. Art and design was originally fine art but when I started my first class, I found out it had changed to interior design which isn't something that interests me and it's not something I'm particularly good at. And lastly law. Law was a random subject I chose, and. I regret it deeply. It's just so hard to keep up that I can't even explain anything. I don't know what to do about it.
So yeah, what I'm really asking is, if you think quitting college at the end of my first year is a good idea? I'm not sure if I want to or not. I mean, I don't like any of the subjects I'm taking, but, if I get a good enough mark in 3 of them, I might consider continuing.
I'm really stuck for what to do, and any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ShyXandu)
Basically, I'm not sure if a-levels are right for me, in the same way college is. A levels, I know, are meant to be ten times harder but I honestly can't keep up. I enjoy some of my classes, but at the end of my first year, I just don't hold a candle to any of them anymore.
I was thinking instead of continuing college, if take a few different courses that I think I might enjoy, and get a feel for them. I'm not really sure what I want to do later on in life so I think doing multiple courses will give me a few ideas I want to pursue. And also in that time get a job, part time probably but just to begin with until I've figured out what I want to do.
A-levels are just too much work for me altogether. I hand in homework late, never understanding some things even though I've asked the lecturers countless times. I had my exams last week and I felt like an idiot when I came out.
I think I picked the wrong subjects when I look at it. I love photography, butt doing it for a subject is actually more difficult than I imagined. And a lot of coursework. English combined isn't my favourite subject, mainly because it doesn't interest me. I would have rather done English literature on it's own but there was no subject. Art and design was originally fine art but when I started my first class, I found out it had changed to interior design which isn't something that interests me and it's not something I'm particularly good at. And lastly law. Law was a random subject I chose, and. I regret it deeply. It's just so hard to keep up that I can't even explain anything. I don't know what to do about it.
So yeah, what I'm really asking is, if you think quitting college at the end of my first year is a good idea? I'm not sure if I want to or not. I mean, I don't like any of the subjects I'm taking, but, if I get a good enough mark in 3 of them, I might consider continuing.
I'm really stuck for what to do, and any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
What do you think you'd like to do? What courses are you thinking of trying?

There's no shame in starting over next year with a new set of AS levels which you'll enjoy and do well in. You really don't want to struggle along doing courses that you don't enjoy and aren't right for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.56%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (120)
40.68%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.42%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.78%