The Student Room Group

Is getting root canal treatment done really as bad as people make it out be?

I've to go to the dentist in a few days to get it done after having an abscess in my back molar. I have been given antibiotics until then as well as painkillers. The pain at the moment isn't too bad most of the time and the worst complaint is a weird taste from that tooth and pain when I bite down.

I've never had any root canal treatments done before so I don't know what to expect but I have heard its one of those procedures that everyone moans about. What should I expect and how long does it roughly take?

Well, like most dental work, there's discomfort to put up with, but other than that it's really nothing to worry about. It certainly shouldn't hurt-if it does then you need more local anaesthetic-except for a small sharp pinch when the nerve is removed. Personally when I had one done I was just intensely relieved to be rid of the awful toothache I was getting.

The initial root canal should be fairly rapid-about half an hour or so, but the final stages of sealing it and filling it can take several more visits as it has to be shaped for the filling, so you may get it temporarily filled at the first appointment and then have to go back later. It'll also take more time if you need to have a crown fitted as often they're porcelain and so individually made so they need to get a mould of the tooth and have it made.

I had my root canal done as an emergency which was very quick, but the cleaning up and having a crown fitted took a couple more appointments after that.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply. Normally I wouldn't bother going to the dentist in such a rush but I got told that taking antibiotics for the abscess won't be enough and I definitely need the root canal done before I fly in three weeks :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Yasmin25
I've to go to the dentist in a few days to get it done after having an abscess in my back molar. I have been given antibiotics until then as well as painkillers. The pain at the moment isn't too bad most of the time and the worst complaint is a weird taste from that tooth and pain when I bite down.

I've never had any root canal treatments done before so I don't know what to expect but I have heard its one of those procedures that everyone moans about. What should I expect and how long does it roughly take?

I had it done and I remember it being painless tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
It's generally more comfortable than having a filling. It takes quite a bit longer, but they put a plastic sheet over your mouth so you can swallow normally (so you don't have to put up with the saliva sucker) and you should get a jaw rest. The only uncomfortable bit is the injection (which you would have with a filling anyway) and the fact that it takes a while. Apart from that, it doesn't hurt.

Source: I've had three (actually 2 1/2) in one sitting (i.e. the cleaning/perm filling part).
Reply 5
It's not bad at all, it's a little uncomfortable/sore for about a day and a half after:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Yasmin25

I had a very bad toothache so i was very happy getting the root canal as i knew it would get rid of the pain once and for all.
It did hurt but it was ok not really bad
Three-four appointments over a course of two weeks.
Reply 7
Getting it done tomorrow most likely. Getting kinda nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry about it and if you feel any discomfort don't be afraid to ask for an extra shot of anesthetic. I did that last time and didn't feel a thing, almost fell asleep in fact :tongue:
Reply 9
Hi just out of the dentists. I thought I would be getting the root canal treatment done today but he decided that I should just have the tooth removed and I need some fillings also. I've got 3 appointments next week :eek: thankfully I have a holiday right after the appointments phew :tongue:

Quick Reply