Stuck on A level options: politics or French? Watch

artparty
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'm doing my GCSEs right now and I'm still stuck about my A level choices. I want to be a journalist and my options were Maths, English Lit, History and French but it turns out that the sixth form I want to go to can't do French with my other options because of timetabling issues. So I was thinking before to change French to Government & Politics but I'm not too sure. I wasn't 100% sure about French because even though I love it, I hate the speaking part even though that's a huge factor lol. Should I do Politics and keep French as a hobby? Help me pleaseee
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by artparty)
So I'm doing my GCSEs right now and I'm still stuck about my A level choices. I want to be a journalist and my options were Maths, English Lit, History and French but it turns out that the sixth form I want to go to can't do French with my other options because of timetabling issues. So I was thinking before to change French to Government & Politics but I'm not too sure. I wasn't 100% sure about French because even though I love it, I hate the speaking part even though that's a huge factor lol. Should I do Politics and keep French as a hobby? Help me pleaseee
Only you can decide about this, really. Government & Politics + History work very well together, though.

If you were to keep on with French, what other subject would you have to drop to make space for it?
Toriar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's up to you but what I will say is, don't drop French just because of the speaking element. I, like you, hated speaking to start with but you do gain confidence at A level and, even though it's still not my favourite part, the speaking exam is not that bad at all and don't be afraid to speak in lessons because I can almost guarantee you that you won't be the worst person in the class. If you love French then I would urge you to go for it, it might be useful for journalism as you could understand French people? Lol idk but have a long think about it.
sammyruse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do both French and politics at A2 and I also did history at AS. Personally, I find politics quite boring this year and I absolutely love French, whereas at the start of year 12 I was set on keeping politics. Politics and history do complement each other well, and it can get you into the swing of doing lots of essays but I would definitely recommend keeping French because it can be a great help in the future :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
smella
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I want to be a journalist as well! I do currently do Politics, Eng lit and French at A2 and they work together beautifully. Politics can be a really engaging course, with regular class debates and essay writing that's often made easier when studying other essay subjects, such English and History.
That said, you'll probably have to be really determined to learn a language at home - whereas having French scheduled into your timetable almost every day might make it far easier to learn the language.

Both subjects seem to be pretty popular among the students in my classes - my entire Politics class are hopefully going on to do Politics at uni and French is a great skill to learn and introduction to French culture and history.
I hope it works out!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University