artymaniac
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME THE ANSWER TO NO 9 I THOUGHT THE ANSWER WAS THE FIRST ONE AS BIOMASS IS SUPPOSED TO GO DOWN AT EACH STAGE.. A QUESTION.. IF THERE IS MORE OF AN ORGANISM DOES THAT MEAN THAT THERE IS MORE BIOMASS?? CHEERS

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...P-QP-JUN13.PDF
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by artymaniac)
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME THE ANSWER TO NO 9 I THOUGHT THE ANSWER WAS THE FIRST ONE AS BIOMASS IS SUPPOSED TO GO DOWN AT EACH STAGE.. A QUESTION.. IF THERE IS MORE OF AN ORGANISM DOES THAT MEAN THAT THERE IS MORE BIOMASS?? CHEERS

Hey there, I'm just going to rename your thread so hopefully it'll get more replies.
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Biomass is the total mass of the organisms present at each particular stage in the food chain.

If there is more of the organism that does not mean there is more biomass. If you have 10 pigs it would have a much greater biomass than 30 fruit flies. You have to think of the mass of the organisms in question, as well as how many there are.

Now the sharks will have the most mass, but their biomass is smallest because only a few will be present.

On the other hand there will be loads of both types of plankton, but the animal plankton has a greater biomass than the plant. So it's the last one.

Hope that helps
artymaniac
Rep:
?
thx for yr help, the mark scheme says its the last one why???
(Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth)
Biomass is the total mass of the organisms present at each particular stage in the food chain.

If there is more of the organism that does not mean there is more biomass. If you have 10 pigs it would have a much greater biomass than 30 fruit flies. You have to think of the mass of the organisms in question, as well as how many there are.

Now the sharks will have the most mass, but their biomass is smallest because only a few will be present.

On the other hand there will be loads of both types of plankton, but the animal plankton has a greater biomass than the plant. So it's the middle one.
Hope that helps
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry I meant to write last one. My mistake. It is the last one and my explanation is for that one
artymaniac
Rep:
?
one quick q.. if pyramids of biomass are supposed to reduce(the biomass) as u go alongI still don't get why the animal is bigger than the plant
(Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth)
Sorry I meant to write last one. My mistake. It is the last one and my explanation is for that one
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
one quick q.. if pyramids of biomass are supposed to reduce(the biomass) as u go alongI still don't get why the animal is bigger than the plant
The biomass doesn't always have to reduce as you go along - it depends on the size and number of the organisms present at each stage.

If you look at the graph on the page before, in June there are more animal plankton compared with plant plankton, and if you look at the diagram you'll see the animal are larger than the plant so they will probably have a greater mass. So the biomass of animal in June is greater than plant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads