Helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp ppppppppppppppppppppp

Watch
artymaniac
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME THE ANSWER TO NO 9 I THOUGHT THE ANSWER WAS THE FIRST ONE AS BIOMASS IS SUPPOSED TO GO DOWN AT EACH STAGE.. A QUESTION.. IF THERE IS MORE OF AN ORGANISM DOES THAT MEAN THAT THERE IS MORE BIOMASS?? CHEERS

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...P-QP-JUN13.PDF
AlexsNan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Calm down on the caps... Which one is the answer?
AlexsNan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Biomass is the overall mass of the animals.
There are billions of plankton, but they have negligible mass. Compared to the shark which is massive, but in small numbers.
artymaniac
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlexsNan)
Biomass is the overall mass of the animals.
There are billions of plankton, but they have negligible mass. Compared to the shark which is massive, but in small numbers.
The answers the one at the bottom so if the shark has the biggest biomass then why would it be plCaced at the top
AlexsNan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Like i said, there are very few sharks even though they have the biggest mass. So they're the least overall mass, biomass.
artymaniac
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=AlexsNan;47918147]Like i said, there are very few sharks even though they have the biggest mass. So they're the least overall mass, biomass.[/ sorry for bein a pain but does that mean the lower no of any organism the lower the biomass?
artymaniac
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlexsNan)
Like i said, there are very few sharks even though they have the biggest mass. So they're the least overall mass, biomass.
Soo high biomass isn't about the overall mass of an organism it's about having lots of organisms with a set mass??
AlexsNan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Think about there being a massive number of plankton, so although they have a tiny mass of each one, their combined biomass is still rather large. Compared to the shark which has a large mass per shark but very few in numbers.

Lots and lots and lots of plankton, small mass, large biomass
small number of sharks, massive mass, small biomass

think of biomass as overall mass

and animal plankton are roughly similar in number to plank plankton, just a larger mass, thus larger biomass
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (72)
23%
Excited but a bit nervous (140)
44.73%
Not bothered either way (37)
11.82%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed