The Student Room Group

Friend to girlfriend?

Right, so there's this girl at my uni who's been my friend most of the year, we were pretty good friends until this one day, when we'd gone out for lunch as a group and the two of us ended up on a table on our own and had this really long conversation during which I suddenly realised that I liked her more than just as a friend. However I failed to act on it and she ended up getting with some other guy. Unfortunately he was a right dick and basically prevented her from hanging out with us so we didn't see her for a few months. I didn't really think too much of it after that as she didn't know anyway and she had a boyfriend so that was that. This was probably in about January.

Now, last week me and my mate were in the bar watching football when she and her mate appeared out of nowhere and sat with us. After a bit of a chat and they'd eaten, her mate just left for seemingly no reason whilst my mate made up some excuse to leave temporarily (he already knew I liked her) so it was just me and her for a good 5/10 minutes. I was just enjoying the conversation until she mentioned that she'd split up with her boyfriend, then the feelings I'd had a few months back rose up to the surface again.

I'm not really sure if my brain was trying to affirm what I wanted to think, but she seemed to be giving off at least one or two signals, she was laughing at my jokes and enjoying the conversation, we even maintained eye contact for at least 10/15 seconds, don't know but I felt like she might at least be open to something. Problem being I'm useless when it comes to women because I've never even been on a date, let alone a relationship. So after a day or two of putting it off I plucked up the courage to ask if she wanted to go see X Men and catch up (A fairly innocent request) and she seemed up for coming but wasn't sure because of revision (it's exam season at university) so I left it a couple of days then said she had too much to do. So was she trying to let me down nicely or did she genuinely have to do revision? Not sure if it's worth trying to make any more effort or not because I don't want to ruin our friendship but at the same time I do really like her :/

If anyone bothered to read this stupidly long post then thank you very much, I need advice!
It's exam season... she probably had exams to revise for then......
Probably exams mate. Sounds like you have a case of **** timing... always being in the right place at the wrong time...
Reply 3
Original post by AlphaDog0127
It's exam season... she probably had exams to revise for then......

The thing was that during that same day I saw her in the bar when me and my mate went to watch FrochGroves, still she probably did have revision. Still don't know what to do from here though.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Right, so there's this girl at my uni who's been my friend most of the year, we were pretty good friends until this one day, when we'd gone out for lunch as a group and the two of us ended up on a table on our own and had this really long conversation during which I suddenly realised that I liked her more than just as a friend. However I failed to act on it and she ended up getting with some other guy. Unfortunately he was a right dick and basically prevented her from hanging out with us so we didn't see her for a few months. I didn't really think too much of it after that as she didn't know anyway and she had a boyfriend so that was that. This was probably in about January.

Now, last week me and my mate were in the bar watching football when she and her mate appeared out of nowhere and sat with us. After a bit of a chat and they'd eaten, her mate just left for seemingly no reason whilst my mate made up some excuse to leave temporarily (he already knew I liked her) so it was just me and her for a good 5/10 minutes. I was just enjoying the conversation until she mentioned that she'd split up with her boyfriend, then the feelings I'd had a few months back rose up to the surface again.

I'm not really sure if my brain was trying to affirm what I wanted to think, but she seemed to be giving off at least one or two signals, she was laughing at my jokes and enjoying the conversation, we even maintained eye contact for at least 10/15 seconds, don't know but I felt like she might at least be open to something. Problem being I'm useless when it comes to women because I've never even been on a date, let alone a relationship. So after a day or two of putting it off I plucked up the courage to ask if she wanted to go see X Men and catch up (A fairly innocent request) and she seemed up for coming but wasn't sure because of revision (it's exam season at university) so I left it a couple of days then said she had too much to do. So was she trying to let me down nicely or did she genuinely have to do revision? Not sure if it's worth trying to make any more effort or not because I don't want to ruin our friendship but at the same time I do really like her :/

If anyone bothered to read this stupidly long post then thank you very much, I need advice!

Yea it definitely sounds like she's interested, but I guess the exam season's probably getting in the way of things a little bit (bad luck). I would suggest that you wait till after exams to take things with her further (you've probably got exams to revise for too anyway!). But in the mean time, try to stay around her enough and be her friend so that when you pick it back up again after exams it won't feel too much like you're starting over or been alienated from each other in any way.

I'm sure the two of you will end up together :tongue:
The thing was that during that same day I saw her in the bar when me and my mate went to watch FrochGroves, still she probably did have revision. Still don't know what to do from here though.

Hold off till her exams are over then progress things after that. If her friend left for the same reason yours did it's a decent sign.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or she's not interested.
We don't know, hun. Wait till her exams are over and suggest something then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Well thanks guys, only problem is that we'll both be going home in a few days to very different parts of the country, so I probably won't be able to progress things properly until the next year starts. In October...
Well thanks guys, only problem is that we'll both be going home in a few days to very different parts of the country, so I probably won't be able to progress things properly until the next year starts. In October...

Is she going right after her exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Is she going right after her exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well her exam is tomorrow, I think she's leaving at the weekend but I'm not sure. Might see her tomorrow but that'll be more luck that anything else. I think she'll be around for a few days but nothing more. Besides, I'm leaving on Sunday anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest