The Student Room Group

How difficult is Edexcel Economics A2?

So I finished the AS Economics before half term, and I'm hoping I got an A. This year I haven't found Economics particularly hard (especially Unit 1 which didn't require you to learn much) but I'm contemplating whether to do it next year.

We got back to school today and were told we were starting on the A2 economics syllabus now because there's so much content to learn and because you're really pushed for time next year.

How hard have people found the A2? I was thinking of dropping Economics next year because I'm not too keen on the idea of doing 4 A2s but idk...Is it much of a big gap between AS and A2 for Economics, or does the A2 course follow on nicely?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by TheTechN1304
So I finished the AS Economics before half term, and I'm hoping I got an A. This year I haven't found Economics particularly hard (especially Unit 1 which didn't require you to learn much) but I'm contemplating whether to do it next year.

We got back to school today and were told we were starting on the A2 economics syllabus now because there's so much content to learn and because you're really pushed for time next year.

How hard have people found the A2? I was thinking of dropping Economics next year because I'm not too keen on the idea of doing 4 A2s but idk...Is it much of a big gap between AS and A2 for Economics, or does the A2 course follow on nicely?

Thanks! :biggrin:

Hey! I carried on doing Economics into A2.
I have to say they are very interesting topics and I am enjoying it- for Unit 4 I suppose it depends what case study you do, we're doing Obesity and the social implications it has (all part of Market Failure). However the amount of technical language you need to learn goes up tenfold, that is quite difficult, and sometimes what you learn is difficult to get your head around.
Obviously there are no multiple questions in the exam - they're all 4 markers up to 30 markers, so you should make sure you can cope with learning a whole bunch of knowledge, applying it to the question with the correct terminology etc...
For unit 4 especially I would suggest doing a lot of wider reading and finding lots of articles on the topic you're studying.

After all that, I would recommend you carry on, but if that means no other subjects are being dropped then I wish you very good luck dealing with four A levels! Don't worry, I've seen other people cope with 5, so you should be alright if you think you have it in you (if you're not very organised, DON'T try tackling it). I would definitely suggest you at least start the A level course and see how you find it, I know at our school it was the final decider as to whether we wanted to carry on next year or not, it doesn't mean you're signed down for it or anything!

Hope that helped you make a decision! Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending