The Student Room Group

When did you first start playing Video games?

I think I started when I was around 10. It was when I got my first console, a PS1 lol. Upgraded to PS2 a few years later :biggrin:
1990 / 91. I was 5, maybe 6. We had a NES with Super Mario Bros and Duckhunt with a cool Lightgun! :yep:

The Cartridge:

Spoiler

The Light Gun:

Spoiler

Reply 2
About 1983 with Manic Miner on the ZX Spectrum 48k. There was an earlier ZX81 in our house but that was basic stuff- the keys didn't even have depth to them.
My earliest memory is being bought a Playstation when Crash Bandicoot came out, so around 1996 (age 5)
Early 90's I would have to say, the first games console I had was the N64. the first hand held console was the original gameboy. My dad had the sega megadrive which I did get to play on and my cousin had a playstation which played with him whenever went round to his

The good old games consoles excellent in the day. How things have moved on tech wise in games consoles is crazy
Reply 5
Playing capture the flag on a floppy disk aged 2.
Reply 6
Original post by scorpion95
Early 90's I would have to say, the first games console I had was the N64. the first hand held console was the original gameboy. My dad had the sega megadrive which I did get to play on and my cousin had a playstation which played with him whenever went round to his

The good old games consoles excellent in the day. How things have moved on tech wise in games consoles is crazy
I know right? If you look at GTA on PS1, and then look at GTA 5 on XBOX, its soo much more advanced!
When I was a few months old, my dad used to be a gamer back when the Mega Drive was out, mum remembers watching him complete a Zelda-esque game called Landstalker a few days before I was born. He had plenty of games, there's pictures of me playing Sonic when I was a baby. As I got older though work and looking after kids meant my dad didn't have much time to be playing games so he gradually stopped playing them, I remember trying to get him to play Arkham City and he couldn't get to grips with the controls, and he didn't like how many cutscenes they were, plus because he wasn't used to open world games he kept having to ask me what the game wanted him to do. He gave up playing after a couple of hours. Can't help but wonder if in ten years time I'll stop caring about games as well. I certainly feel less excited when I get a new game compared to how I used to be.
Reply 8
I will tell you something- both when the Commodore Amiga and the Dreamcast came out the smoothness and the crispness of those graphics was a huge step up compared to what had been. The Dreamcast was like some special entity beamed down from planet Sega. I didn't get one until later though as it was £300.
Original post by Mav455
I know right? If you look at GTA on PS1, and then look at GTA 5 on XBOX, its soo much more advanced!

Reply 10
It was about 1984.

Reply 11
Original post by Picnic1
I will tell you something- both when the Commodore Amiga and the Dreamcast came out the smoothness and the crispness of those graphics was a huge step up compared to what had been. The Dreamcast was like some special entity beamed down from planet Sega. I didn't get one until later though as it was £300.

Its so weird that they cost £300 then and nowadays cost only £10-20 today. In the future , the XBOX One will probably face that aswell lol
In 1989 or 1990, when I was 5, there was an arcade shooter inside the newsagents around the corner from where I lived. There always happened to be a small group of 12 year olds hogging the bloody thing though :frown:

I remember playing one of the Dizzy games on a neighbour's C64 about the same time aswell. And also Alex Kidd at another mates house. Which led to us purchasing a Master System shortly afterwards.
First started playing a SEGA when I was really young and then moved onto an original Xbox when I was about 8/9. I spent a lot of my time playing Sonic Heroes.
In the early nineties. I still remember being able to get my Gameboy with Tetris and Super Mario Land, the first console that I owned. We've gone a long way from there!
Some Jurassic Park strategy game on the family windows 98 machine. Then Age of Empires, I loved that game.
I think I was about 5/6ish when I first started playing video games. My first console was a Sega Mega Drive and I had lots of Sonic and racing games mainly for it.
I think I was about 5 or 6. I played Pokémon Blue, Yellow and Gold on a Gameboy Colour :smile: I also occasionally played Mario games on my brother's Gamecube along with Simpsons Hit and Run :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I was about 2-3, playing on the Commadore 64. My first console of my own was a Master system II with Alex Kidd built in :biggrin:
Reply 19
I remember playing my cousins sega saturn and my brothers snes but I really got into them when the PS1 came out. First game I had on that was some Mickey Mouse platformer.

Quick Reply

Latest