The Student Room Group

to tutor or not to tutor?

one of my friends has bought N4, N5, and higher maths books, (he doesn`t have a degree by the way) with the intention of making a living as a tutor come the new academic year.

I told him i didn`t think anyone in general on their own could make enough money to live on being a tutor, and to forget it.

If he is starting out, he would only realistically be able/ want to tutor no more than 2 people a day for 5 days a week - at £20 an hour that`s only £800

- you can`t live off that? - can you?

I don`t know what the expected or general level of tutees any one tutor could cope with in one week, but he seems to want to tutor for no more that 3 hours a day!

Is he crazy or what?

(he reads TSR - other forums but i`ll nudge him in this direction!)

P>S> i`ve thought about some tutoring to but i can`t be arsed - i enjoy maths for it`s own sake!
(edited 9 years ago)
3 hours a day = £60 (assuming £20 per sesh)
£60 x 5 days a week = £300 per week
£300 x 4 = roughly £1200 per month
Deducting 12 weeks of school holidays it gives him a net income of £48,000 per year- which ain't bad!

However in theory, it probably won't be like this at all. I doubt it'll work out, but good luck to him.
1200 per month x 12 gives him a maximum of 14,400 per year :P
ugh, yes it does. Multiplied it by weeks instead, what a dummy I am. Thanks for pointing it out though. :smile:

In short: Don't listen to me or let your friend be a maths tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending