English Language GCSE- how can I get a B

Watch this thread
Sarah Carew
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum so I'm not entirely sure if I am typing this enquiry in the right place, but hopefully I am.
I have done awfully in my English Language, a thing I don't understand how as I believe I did okay in the controlled assessments set. Well, obviously I didn't, achieving 31/80, awful. I think that may be a F/G but not entirely sure, it may be a U.
I would like to know what type of score I would need to be aiming for in the exam, which is tomorrow - always late, to achieve a B, or is that even possible?
I've heard stories like people have achieved A grades when only getting a C in their control assessment due to performing exceptionally well in the exam, but I don't think I am capable of doing that.
Can someone please tell me how well i need to do, because wow I am stressed!
Thank you
nataliet97
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Hi

I am currently in year 12 & studying A level English Literature; therefore, I have been where you are now & completely empathise...

I achieved an A in both English Language and English Literature - therefore, it is possible (I wasn't always good at English).

The best way to do it is to be original in your analysis! May sure you analysis small details, perhaps an interpretation that no one else has thought of... THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX! I know it may seem stupid when you read something and your analysis is completely random - but, sometimes, random is the best!

Make sure that your grammar is correct, spelling and punctuation etc.

Make sure you have read the book/resource/poem etc.

Analysis every detail - make sure you structure your answers.

Use this structure:

Point - write your point, basically
Evidence - use a quote to support your point
Explain - explain what you mean and how your quote supports your point
Develop - embed language/structure/form techniques to help you support your point; explain what they are and the effect that they have on the reader

DO NOT WASTE ANY TIME! English exams are usually long, meaning that you feel as if you have more time than you actually do. If you finish early, try to think of another point - anaylse it; do not waste any time - it could be crucial.

Structure of answer should be:

Intro
PEED 1
PEED 2
PEED 3
PEED 4
Conclusion

You may not have to do 4 points to gain the best grade possible - as long as you do at least 3 in detail

This is what my teacher taught me - and she was fab :')

Hope this helps!

Try to relax and don't stress

Good luck
Sarah Carew
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by nataliet97)
Hi

I am currently in year 12 & studying A level English Literature; therefore, I have been where you are now & completely empathise...

I achieved an A in both English Language and English Literature - therefore, it is possible (I wasn't always good at English).

The best way to do it is to be original in your analysis! May sure you analysis small details, perhaps an interpretation that no one else has thought of... THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX! I know it may seem stupid when you read something and your analysis is completely random - but, sometimes, random is the best!

Make sure that your grammar is correct, spelling and punctuation etc.

Make sure you have read the book/resource/poem etc.

Analysis every detail - make sure you structure your answers.

Use this structure:

Point - write your point, basically
Evidence - use a quote to support your point
Explain - explain what you mean and how your quote supports your point
Develop - embed language/structure/form techniques to help you support your point; explain what they are and the effect that they have on the reader

DO NOT WASTE ANY TIME! English exams are usually long, meaning that you feel as if you have more time than you actually do. If you finish early, try to think of another point - anaylse it; do not waste any time - it could be crucial.

Structure of answer should be:

Intro
PEED 1
PEED 2
PEED 3
PEED 4
Conclusion

You may not have to do 4 points to gain the best grade possible - as long as you do at least 3 in detail

This is what my teacher taught me - and she was fab :')

Hope this helps!

Try to relax and don't stress

Good luck

Damn, I didnt look at my notifications quick enough! Thank you though, I did do something along those lines (well , I think I did.)
I just really need a B because even if I want to do Maths at a-level, I need that B.
To be honest I think getting that B is impossible now because I don't think my controlled assessments and exam would average out. AHHHHHHH. But thank you!
Hope A-levels aren't stressing you out, a lot my friends do AS english and hate it hahaha
nataliet97
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
You're welcome, I'm sure it went better than you think

The worst thing that you can do is worry about it after the exam!

Haha, A levels are very stressful, but I have finished my AS exams for now - so yay; haha, I love English - it just requires a lot of work :')

Well I hope it goes okay for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (14)
35%
They're exactly what I expected (14)