Graphics or law? Career choices, tough decisions... Watch

shoelacesparkle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
At the moment I'm in the process of choosing A-level subjects for next year, but I'm genuinely not sure what to take.
Always imagined I'd follow a career in art, such as graphic design and I absolutely love media studies/graphics. Both my GCSE teachers recommended I follow up a career in this area but on the other hand, I'm really worried graphic design isn't going to 'pay' (literally), or that it's not going to be academically challenging enough.

Moreover, there's subjects like English and History which I also love and would like to take next year. Now I'm strongly considering a career in law (okay I know 'law' is quite a general term but I haven't really thought about the finer details yet ) which I also feel as if I'd like to do - perhaps not as much as design? But I suppose, at least I can be fairly sure it will pay, and may challenge me more.

My question is; follow art and design or law? I appreciate they're pretty different subjects and that no-one else can 'choose' subjects for me, but what I'm really curious about is if anyone has experience with these subjects - would you recommend them? Is art something that should just be a hobby? Is law as 'dull' as it's made out to be? Is it better to follow a career in something that might make me a little richer than something that might make me happier?

I've been told by some people to follow English/History and by others to follow Art/Design, now it's just confusing haha :') I'd be really, really grateful for any information or advice that can be offered, so I'm sorry for the little life story just there but any help would be greatly appreciated (and treasured, lol)
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shoelacesparkle)
At the moment I'm in the process of choosing A-level subjects for next year, but I'm genuinely not sure what to take.
Always imagined I'd follow a career in art, such as graphic design and I absolutely love media studies/graphics. Both my GCSE teachers recommended I follow up a career in this area but on the other hand, I'm really worried graphic design isn't going to 'pay' (literally), or that it's not going to be academically challenging enough.

Moreover, there's subjects like English and History which I also love and would like to take next year. Now I'm strongly considering a career in law (okay I know 'law' is quite a general term but I haven't really thought about the finer details yet ) which I also feel as if I'd like to do - perhaps not as much as design? But I suppose, at least I can be fairly sure it will pay, and may challenge me more.

My question is; follow art and design or law? I appreciate they're pretty different subjects and that no-one else can 'choose' subjects for me, but what I'm really curious about is if anyone has experience with these subjects - would you recommend them? Is art something that should just be a hobby? Is law as 'dull' as it's made out to be? Is it better to follow a career in something that might make me a little richer than something that might make me happier?

I've been told by some people to follow English/History and by others to follow Art/Design, now it's just confusing haha :') I'd be really, really grateful for any information or advice that can be offered, so I'm sorry for the little life story just there but any help would be greatly appreciated (and treasured, lol)
Every person I know who goes into "graphics" ends up broke and switches to something else. It's hard to find work and if you do, it isn't paid very well.

Obviously some people will make it and do well but by most accounts it is very difficult to break into.

Law presents different challenges. It is very difficult and getting a training contract can also be hard. Some people may find it dull but it is very well paid to make up for it!

That's not to say that you couldn't keep your graphics up as a hobby. Obviously I don't know what will ultimately make you happy but well paid and slightly dull almost certainly trumps having fun with drawing but living hand to mouth
Sloppy Jumpers
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I think you should go for Graphics! If it's what you love, you should do it - in the end, that is the ingredient that creates success. Lots of my friends who pursued their interests in art at degree level are doing fascinating things, and are really happy. There are a lot of different jobs open to graphic designers - in different companies, as well as freelance.

I think the best thing to do is get some law work experience and graphics work experience this summer, before you make your decision. Start local, and email local solicitor firms, and graphics firms and see what they say!
shoelacesparkle
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Sloppy Jumpers)
I think you should go for Graphics! If it's what you love, you should do it - in the end, that is the ingredient that creates success. Lots of my friends who pursued their interests in art at degree level are doing fascinating things, and are really happy. There are a lot of different jobs open to graphic designers - in different companies, as well as freelance.

I think the best thing to do is get some law work experience and graphics work experience this summer, before you make your decision. Start local, and email local solicitor firms, and graphics firms and see what they say!
That's really good advice, thank you so much! Definitely going to try out the work experience :-)
Sloppy Jumpers
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's really good advice, thank you so much! Definitely going to try out the work experience :-)
Yay! Give it a go! Let us know how it goes
Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

The advice you've been given so far is good, especially with regards to getting work experience.
For A levels, if you want to go for English/History, these are good, solid A levels which are worth doing. You can do Graphics for your 4th AS/3rd A level so you still keep going with it, and you'll have a nice variety of A levels. - That way you'll have a bit of both, and you'll still have the options to go for whichever type of uni course you want.

Good luck :yy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (19)
37.25%
I really love the subject (14)
27.45%
I don't know what else to do (8)
15.69%
I can't get a job (2)
3.92%
My parents want me to (1)
1.96%