What caused women's liberation?

Watch this thread
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
We've been a species for the past 100,000 years, yet it is only in the past 100 a mere 0.1% of our time on this planet that gender egalitarianism seemed to become a good idea. Why is this?
Picnic1
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Do you really go along with the idea that women didn't always have a good time of it being housewives? Being a Victorian lady with servants?

The Sufragettes were essentially Victorian middle class radicals.

But it took World War 1 for women to show how they could help run a country in the absence of so many men and then they got the vote.

In the 1920 the flappers epitomised the feminine confidence. The Great Depression and World War 2 saw a shift to women being needed for work and morale. A golden age of the (suburban) housewife is regarded as the 1950s and the new goods that were available meant that some went back out to work in the 1960s.

Middle class feminists in the 1960s again strove, in ways that sometimes must have seemed a bit vulgar if not patronising to many working class women, to promote the women's cause. But consumerism meant that women did keep going out to work and rising house prices, cost of living, luxury items, divorce, single living, and simply because it is now the done thing mean that they still do.
bertstare
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Women were liberated from their lack of freedoms around the same time as men were liberated from being forced to run headfirst into machinegun fire - says more about the progress of humanity as a whole, rather than the attitudes towards any particular gender
drake10
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Women's liberation was due to men inventing time-saving household devices like washing machines, vacuum cleaners, dishwashers and microwaves.
martin jol
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
the progression of the economy meant women had to stop lazing about all day and actually do some work
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
20.93%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.79%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.81%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.44%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (18)
20.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.09%

Watched Threads