The Student Room Group

District/Community nursing

So basically I've been a Care Worker for nearly three months.. I was so excited to get this job and I thought I'd love it but my feelings towards it are kinda 'eh' to be honest.

I spend way more time walking to different houses and finding out there's not much to do than actually caring for people. I end up feeling so annoying because I'm constantly asking and assessing if they need me to do anything.

Community nursing placements was one of the ones I was really looking forward to but now I'm not so sure. Anyone have experience of them and would like to share please?

I understand that nurses are obviously way more qualified than a care worker so can do wounds, injections etc so I'm hoping the experiences are very different!

:smile:
Some people are just not going to get on with doing community rather than being in one place. Community nurses tend to manage their own case load and yes will be going from house to house. But this is to check wounds, change dressings, help with any physio if needed, do syringe drivers, document everything, give any assistance to the client and / or family / carers. I thoroughly enjoyed being in the community but it was a mad rush (I was doing end of life care) and I loved it untol I crashed my car as I was being pushed that far.
As I said, everyone finds their niche in care work and what they enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found with the district nurses there was a lot less personal care as this was done by the care workers sent by the council, it was more medication management, wound care, EOL, managing complex care and so on. It really wasn't for me, but it was a useful experience to see what happens to patients on discharge from hospital and how useful a good discharge can be for a smooth continuation of care.

Like the above person has said, everyone finds their niche and there's loads of different ones within nursing. The beauty is if you get bored with one it's not too difficult to move to another :smile:
Original post by deviant182
Some people are just not going to get on with doing community rather than being in one place. Community nurses tend to manage their own case load and yes will be going from house to house. But this is to check wounds, change dressings, help with any physio if needed, do syringe drivers, document everything, give any assistance to the client and / or family / carers. I thoroughly enjoyed being in the community but it was a mad rush (I was doing end of life care) and I loved it untol I crashed my car as I was being pushed that far.
As I said, everyone finds their niche in care work and what they enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by moonkatt
I found with the district nurses there was a lot less personal care as this was done by the care workers sent by the council, it was more medication management, wound care, EOL, managing complex care and so on. It really wasn't for me, but it was a useful experience to see what happens to patients on discharge from hospital and how useful a good discharge can be for a smooth continuation of care.

Like the above person has said, everyone finds their niche and there's loads of different ones within nursing. The beauty is if you get bored with one it's not too difficult to move to another :smile:

Thank you both for the information! It sounds like it will be a very good experience, but yes like you said community isn't for everyone. Will have to admit to myself that it isn't really for me! Still looking forward to doing all the placements though, can't wait to find the one place that I love and enjoy. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest