The Student Room Group

campus universities near city for med?

Uh, hi guys, new here and I don't know exactly where to post this but...
I'm looking for a really good campus uni near a cool city so I won't feel like im stuck in a student bubble but it's still a close-knit student environment... the "best of both worlds" I guess! I'm going to do medicine and am looking for good facilities and a prestigious uni that has a good name. I looked at queen mary and loved it until I got to the accommodation bit...
I heard Manchester was good?
Any help would be appreciated with pros and cons and personal experiences please!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mima.am21
Uh, hi guys, new here and I don't know exactly where to post this but...
I'm looking for a really good campus uni near a cool city so I won't feel like im stuck in a student bubble but it's still a close-knit student environment... the "best of both worlds" I guess! I'm going to do medicine and am looking for good facilities and a prestigious uni that has a good name and has a high chance of people getting jobs right after. I looked at queen mary and loved it until I got to the accommodation bit...
I heard Manchester was good?
Any help would be appreciated with pros and cons and personal experiences please!

I'm afraid you clearly need to do some more research when it comes to applying for medicine as at the moment you appear to be on the path to getting 4 rejections. It doesn't matter which uni you went to when it comes getting jobs after a medical degree. And you need to apply tactically based on how well you can meet their requirements for example some unis ask for high UKCAT or BMAT scores, some high GCSEs, some a good personal statement, only when you've checked out what they want can you pick based on choice.

Anyway the main campus unis near cities that I can think of are Leeds, Birmingham, Nottingham, UEA
Reply 2
Very good GCSEs - mostly A*s, some As and 1 B, A-levels predicted at AAAb
I have also been volunteering for a number of years and have work experience at various places
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Agree that you sound un-researched OP. For example, everyone gets a job straight out of uni for medicine, yet you're talking about job prospects on graduation?

Re your question: I'd have said Oxford as its effectively lots of mini campuses all in the city centre, but there definitely is a student bubble and I wouldn't describe the city as 'cool'. It also looks like your GCSEs would not be good enough anyway.
Reply 4
I know for a fact tha 1 B, 3 As and 9 A*s for GCSE are pretty good. I think I fit into most if not all university requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I also meant, do they integrate you into a job straight away?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know for a fact tha 1 B, 3 As and 9 A*s for GCSE are pretty good. I think I fit into most if not all university requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes its pretty good. I think it'd be good enough for everywhere except Oxford (and even then you might have a small chance - see this page). Still got all the other aspects of the application to nail though.

I also meant, do they integrate you into a job straight away?

Yes. And medical school doesn't form part of that process (in fact, going to a school with more academic students is probably a disadvantage in terms of your choice of job as those are the students you are ranked against when applying).

You do start seeing differences in post-grad exams by different medical school, but its difficult to tell what is causative here. I would advise not considering 'prestige' or 'job prospects' and instead focusing on course structure and entry requirements. Location and campus uni are ok to consider, but should be secondary to whether you'll actually get in and whether you like the course you'll actually be studying.
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are pretty good but GCSE's aren't everything. Remember the UKCAT/BMAT also come into play.
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the large part, GCSE's mean little more than just a tick box. You still have many more to fill. Start with which medical schools you are likely to get in to, then which you would like to go to (even then this item is dictated more by course structure than location). Though this is all a moot point if you haven't already received AS grades/UCKAT scores to realistically assess your position.
Reply 9
I know guys, but I'm just wondering so I can narrow down my list, I am prioritising on the actual course content but I am looking for an enjoyable experience as well as that is important for me too, personally. Can you give me some recommendations as there are so many campus unis. Also, any city unis that feel like campus unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know guys, but I'm just wondering so I can narrow down my list, I am prioritising on the actual course content but I am looking for an enjoyable experience as well as that is important for me too, personally. Can you give me some recommendations as there are so many campus unis. Also, any city unis that feel like campus unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd recommend Edinburgh. Watch out for Manchester because you are randomly allocated to places for clinical years and you have a 25% chance of ending up in Preston which won't be what you are looking for.
Reply 11
Original post by ukmed108
I'd recommend Edinburgh. Watch out for Manchester because you are randomly allocated to places for clinical years and you have a 25% chance of ending up in Preston which won't be what you are looking for.

Thanks, any others in England?
Reply 12
Bristol and Leeds.
Plymouth, as the University is a minute's walk from the city centre. Do be aware that 20% of us will go to Torbay in Year 5, but you'll be staying in Plymouth for the rest of the time.
Original post by ukmed108

Isn't that the case with many unis though? My friend at UCL (4th year Med) told me she could end up in Basildon or Stevenage next year, not exactly what a UCL applicant would be looking for.
Original post by jelly1000
Isn't that the case with many unis though? My friend at UCL (4th year Med) told me she could end up in Basildon or Stevenage next year, not exactly what a UCL applicant would be looking for.

Usually its for a short period of time. Everywhere will have placements outside the main hospital, but it might be for say 6 weeks. How i read ukmed's post is that for Manchester its much longer, though this does need some clarification: If its for the entire clinical years that would be a very odd policy (Preston surely doesn't have all of the specialities you should be exposed to as a student. Do they not have any lectures or teaching? etc).
Original post by nexttime
Usually its for a short period of time. Everywhere will have placements outside the main hospital, but it might be for say 6 weeks. How i read ukmed's post is that for Manchester its much longer, though this does need some clarification: If its for the entire clinical years that would be a very odd policy (Preston surely doesn't have all of the specialities you should be exposed to as a student. Do they not have any lectures or teaching? etc).

nah at UCL they can be away for the year, they get accomodation on site
Original post by jelly1000
nah at UCL they can be away for the year, they get accomodation on site

Jesus.
Original post by nexttime

You are allocated to a base hospital and you will do away rotations to other hospitals since as you said Preston doesn't offer everything, but most of your time will be spent at Preston.
Reply 19
QUB, fairly small city so you're right in the middle of it. Hall's are arranged into a private student village a couple minutes walk from the gym and library etc. It's not a campus but I like you really wanted ccampus and because it's such an accessible city which you can walk most places easily it felt just as nice.
Leicester also has a campus but it's halls are some distance away

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending