The Student Room Group

English Exam: Special Consideration (Very Ill, Passed out)

Hi guys...

Ok so English is my top subject. For my mock exam, I got an A*. I'm really concerned that because of my health at the moment, I won't be able to do well in tomorrow's exam.

Earlier today, I passed out and was unconscious for awhile. I hit the ground hard, and my face is all cut up and im bleeding in a few places. Currently, I'm feeling completely crap, to be honest with you. I've been throwing up all day, I've got an awful migraine and my eyes are hurting awfully. My vision isn't too great either, I'm seeing double... and whenever I get up to walk, I feel really unstable.

An ambulance was called by someone who saw me fall, and they took me to the hospital. They did a few tests, but when they moved on to wanting to do injections and what not; I refused. I have an adversed effect to injections, and an important exam tomorrow, I thought I should leave it till after the exams are over. In hindsight, that was stupid because I've got no idea why I passed out.

What do I do? I'm not in the right state to complete an exam at all. Last time I got an A*, I am a capable English student... But tomorrow, I know I won't be able to do amazingly. I feel awful.

Most of it is mental illness, not physical. I look fine apart from the cuts and bruises.

My target grade for English is a C (I did badly on SATS) and I really can't have that as my grade, which Im guessing I'd get if I didn't sit the actual exam. How do I go about not sitting the exam but getting my mock grade? Is this possible?

What process should I take tomorrow morning? Any help will be greatly appreciated :smile:
See your examination officer and if I were you, I'd sit the exam but its up to you..
Reply 2
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
See your examination officer and if I were you, I'd sit the exam but its up to you..

I just know I won't be able to do as well as I could. This couldn't have come at a worse time.
Firstly, go to bed relax and stop panicking. As you say you're a capable English student. I know today won't have helped your anxiety but nor will lack of sleep.

Secondly, when you do wake up remind yourself of how genuinely gifted you are at English and know that that will get you through.

If you are feeling rough still then as the pp says speak with the examinations officer who may be able to send off a form if special consideration if they see fit.

Good luck, you will be fine, honestly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wish you the best of luck let me know what you decided to do as I have the same exam :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Denver2010
Firstly, go to bed relax and stop panicking. As you say you're a capable English student. I know today won't have helped your anxiety but nor will lack of sleep.

Secondly, when you do wake up remind yourself of how genuinely gifted you are at English and know that that will get you through.

If you are feeling rough still then as the pp says speak with the examinations officer who may be able to send off a form if special consideration if they see fit.

Good luck, you will be fine, honestly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much for your reply :smile: I really appreciate your kindness and optimism.

If I sit the exam and afterwards feel it went badly because of how I felt... Is it possible to go to the exam officer then? Or do I have to outline the issues before I sit the exam?
Original post by EddyEagal
Hi guys...

Ok so English is my top subject. For my mock exam, I got an A*. I'm really concerned that because of my health at the moment, I won't be able to do well in tomorrow's exam.

Earlier today, I passed out and was unconscious for awhile. I hit the ground hard, and my face is all cut up and im bleeding in a few places. Currently, I'm feeling completely crap, to be honest with you. I've been throwing up all day, I've got an awful migraine and my eyes are hurting awfully. My vision isn't too great either, I'm seeing double... and whenever I get up to walk, I feel really unstable.

An ambulance was called by someone who saw me fall, and they took me to the hospital. They did a few tests, but when they moved on to wanting to do injections and what not; I refused. I have an adversed effect to injections, and an important exam tomorrow, I thought I should leave it till after the exams are over. In hindsight, that was stupid because I've got no idea why I passed out.

What do I do? I'm not in the right state to complete an exam at all. Last time I got an A*, I am a capable English student... But tomorrow, I know I won't be able to do amazingly. I feel awful.

Most of it is mental illness, not physical. I look fine apart from the cuts and bruises.

My target grade for English is a C (I did badly on SATS) and I really can't have that as my grade, which Im guessing I'd get if I didn't sit the actual exam. How do I go about not sitting the exam but getting my mock grade? Is this possible?

What process should I take tomorrow morning? Any help will be greatly appreciated :smile:

You could sit the exam, but also explain the situation so that way when they mark your script they take into consideration whilst marking it you weren't in your best state.
Reply 7
Original post by yellowcopter
You could sit the exam, but also explain the situation so that way when they mark your script they take into consideration whilst marking it you weren't in your best state.

Who would I need to explain that to, and when would I need to? Before the exam, or after the exam? Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks so much for your reply :smile: I really appreciate your kindness and optimism.

If I sit the exam and afterwards feel it went badly because of how I felt... Is it possible to go to the exam officer then? Or do I have to outline the issues before I sit the exam?

You need to explain before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Either. I'd think before would get it off your mind though but I think you have a small period if grace after exam to send it si don't worry to much. It will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who would I need to explain that too, and when would I need to? Before the exam, or after the exam? Thanks :smile:

Your exams office official who will report it to the exam board, make sure you report this BEFORE the exam. :smile: Try to bring any proof documents you have just in case they ask for it or if they don't believe you.

Good luck with your exam.
Reply 12
Original post by Denver2010
Either. I'd think before would get it off your mind though but I think you have a small period if grace after exam to send it si don't worry to much. It will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'd rather do it afterwards to be honest. That way, if the exam went well there's no need to bring it up... but if not, I could bring it up. The school are aware of my health issues, I was signed off for about three weeks with depression and stress. I'm guessing the passing out was linked in with that :/
Reply 13
Original post by yellowcopter
Your exams office official who will report it to the exam board, make sure you report this BEFORE the exam. :smile: Try to bring any proof documents you have just in case they ask for it or if they don't believe you.

Good luck with your exam.

Ahhh okay, so I'll have to do it before? Should I get a parent to call up someone too?
Ahhh okay, so I'll have to do it before? Should I get a parent to call up someone too?

I would do it before just to be safe. Some schools may allow you to report after, but just in case you should before as some schools (such as my school) won't take any illness considerations unless they happen during the exam or you tell them before the exam.

A parent doesn't need to call up; but if you feel that'll help then there's no reason why they can't. :smile: Just make sure that you inform them before you sit the exam, and you'll be covered.

Quick Reply

Latest