The Student Room Group

Want to look more attractive. Advice please?

A guy I know really shattered my self esteem. I am now pretty much over him and was in a state where I wanted to look better just to prove something to him (dunno what tbh) and realised that by thinking like that, I am letting him have power over me and over my confidence yet again.

I used to feel quite confident and I loved fashion. I only wore mascara, eyeliner and foundation (because I didnt know much about make up) but due to him making fun of me even for that, I felt like a clown and hardly wore much make up.

Anyway, I am getting back into clothes and although Ive cut off all my hair, I really want to do things for myself to feel better. I feel like now it is for the right reasons as before it was to impress him (which was the worst mistake and only made me feel worse and never good enough) but now I just want to start accepting myself and being happy enough in my own skin to not feel like trying to look good is hopeless (which is how I felt since meeting him. I basically gave up and thought "he's right, why do I even try!).

Anyway, I dont want to post my pics up here but if you post on here, I will PM you and would really appreciate your honest opinions.

lol tried to post anonymously and failed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
When it comes to make up, subtlety is key. Don't overdo it. Needs a very light touch. Anyway, it's hard to give any specific advice. The general advice would be to invest in some decent facial cleansers and moisturisers, get nice clothes and shoes, get a nice hair style, etc.
Personally, I'd say if you've actually cut off all your hair, you might want to buy a wig.
Original post by Anonymous Coward
Personally, I'd say if you've actually cut off all your hair, you might want to buy a wig.

lol sorry. Cut my hair short...
bump
don't try to change! everyone has a different image of attractiveness, do your make up the way you want, wear the clothes you feel you look good in and just be free lol
Original post by whatshouldido121
A guy I know really shattered my self esteem. I am now pretty much over him and was in a state where I wanted to look better just to prove something to him (dunno what tbh) and realised that by thinking like that, I am letting him have power over me and over my confidence yet again.

I used to feel quite confident and I loved fashion. I only wore mascara, eyeliner and foundation (because I didnt know much about make up) but due to him making fun of me even for that, I felt like a clown and hardly wore much make up.

Anyway, I am getting back into clothes and although Ive cut off all my hair, I really want to do things for myself to feel better. I feel like now it is for the right reasons as before it was to impress him (which was the worst mistake and only made me feel worse and never good enough) but now I just want to start accepting myself and being happy enough in my own skin to not feel like trying to look good is hopeless (which is how I felt since meeting him. I basically gave up and thought "he's right, why do I even try!).

Anyway, I dont want to post my pics up here but if you post on here, I will PM you and would really appreciate your honest opinions.

lol tried to post anonymously and failed.

PM me if you like :smile:
Reply 7
Tbh, people hate me saying this but define what attractiveness is? You're only as attractive as what you believe yourself to be. And if your confident in yourself, there will be someone that sees it. Feel free to pm me if you want a chat!
Reply 8
Two words....go gym. Too many girls spend all their time on hair and make-up because they take no effort and just ignore the most fundamental thing, body!

If your body sucks, you're flogging a dead horse with hair, nails and make-up.
Reply 9
Don't let anybody's words out you down. I understand it's easier said than done, but I was in a similar situation. A prime example: I was supposed to go on a trip to Thorpe park, he said to me run there and back, and you may lose some weight. (Thrope park is 3 hour drive from where I live.) I was really hurt, I used to apply SO much make up that people should to say to me "you have too much makeup on" now I wear less make-up concentrate on the important things. Life is much better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Picture would help
Oh and if you want to lose weight, try this juice; 2-3 apples, a chunk of pineapple, a few spinach leaves, a whole avocado, celery (a suitable amount.) Cut it all into pieces, make fresh juice, drink every morning, it helps digestion and lose a lot of weight! It tastes good too. And try grapefruit juice on its own. (Fresh if possible) that tastes bitter but very good for weight loss.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not a girl, but everytime I go out, even to uni, I look in the mirror, and I fiddle with my hair. Sometimes I use some hair styling product. Usually it's not for long, maybe 5 mins or so. But I adjust my hair a bit, and boost up my confidence. I'll adjust it till I feel confident about it. And I like looking at myself in the mirror. I'll pose a few smiles in the mirror, spend time thinking woah you're attractive. Then I'd go out, happy and content in my looks. Sounds silly but it works.

Too many times girls especially take a negative approach to "getting ready". They believe they're not attractive without make up. The better way to think about it is imagine yourself as a blank canvas when you wake up, no make up. You look good without it. And then go about, trying to add to your beauty. Just like how I do with my hair. Then make up becomes more something you can experiment with, try out. Doesn't matter if you do it wrong, you can just start again. Or have a new look tomorrow. Or remove it completely as you look fine without it. In fact it's probably more fun to change it around frequently through the week.

So yeah, though it's a boring answer, the best way is to probably experiment with it yourself, see what looks good. You could even ask your friends or see from how others react or compliment you, what's best and go with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending