Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, anyone else doing Physics at IC?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'm going into 2nd year though. Any questions specific to physics, post up here.

ReputationRep:
    Anything you wanna warn us about while we can still run for our lives? :p:
    Any books we should read beforehand (tho personally would rather just sleep for the next 6 weeks! )

ReputationRep:
    yes, i made that mistake too

i was looking at a physics textbook last week (for straight physics in Leeds. Guess you do pretty much the same stuff dont you?)

Almost all the topics i recognised from A level. Oh, i really dont wanna do electric circuits and SHM again. Its so tedious

LBC213, is there anything interesting in the first year (like relativity, chaos theory or quantum physics or something like that?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy2005)
    Anything you wanna warn us about while we can still run for our lives? :p:
    Any books we should read beforehand (tho personally would rather just sleep for the next 6 weeks! )
    No, no need to read before hand, you will have plenty to keep you entertained when you get here . If you think you might benefit with just blowing the cobwebs off then I would say have a look at some of your A-level maths, practise a few questions and perhaps have a bit of a look at gravitation. The first term is basically mostly maths, the other stuff is mechanics and special relativitiy.

(Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    LBC213, is there anything interesting in the first year (like relativity, chaos theory or quantum physics or something like that?)
    Oh yes, you cover special relativity and do quite a bit of quantum. There is no taught course in chaos theory in the 1st year, though this year in our computing there was the option to write a C++ programme on some chaos theory stuff, though I didn't pick that so don't know much about it.

Electric circuits isn't a big topic, its handle-able, though if you find SHM boring then grasp yourself for the vibrations and waves lectures. That is pure SHM based work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LBC213)
    No, no need to read before hand, you will have plenty to keep you entertained when you get here . If you think you might benefit with just blowing the cobwebs off then I would say have a look at some of your A-level maths, practise a few questions and perhaps have a bit of a look at gravitation. The first term is basically mostly maths, the other stuff is mechanics and special relativitiy.

Oh yes, you cover special relativity and do quite a bit of quantum. There is no taught course in chaos theory in the 1st year, though this year in our computing there was the option to write a C++ programme on some chaos theory stuff, though I didn't pick that so don't know much about it.

Electric circuits isn't a big topic, its handle-able, though if you find SHM boring then grasp yourself for the vibrations and waves lectures. That is pure SHM based work.
    Thanks LBC, although for some reason, I think those cobwebs will still be there in october!Might be more useful to recover from surgery than read a lil bit about C4 maths again i suppose.

Still in a bit of a daze after this morning, it hasn't sunk in yet!Can't wait for it to start now though :

Anyone else out there going to IC for phys this year!Can't just be me!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah me too, i just hope i have time for everything as i need to get a job during term time to live and also i do a lot of band stuff so i might just explode...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zabakuz)
    Yeah me too, i just hope i have time for everything as i need to get a job during term time to live and also i do a lot of band stuff so i might just explode...
    Yeah a job is a must now cos of those top up fees, the government are *******s!They got a free education!! (No, I'm not bitter...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy2005)
    Yeah a job is a must now cos of those top up fees, the government are *******s!They got a free education!! (No, I'm not bitter...)
    Thought you guys get to pay your fees after graduation rather than pay now?

Anyway, the flaw in the government's plan is to get atleast 50% of students going to uni, that sheer numbers are pushing costs up. Its rather distrubing to know that students are now paying the most for a degree than they have ever done, yet the value of a degree is dissolving because any old sucker can do a BA in Beckham Studies.

ReputationRep:
    YERRRRRRRRRRRR got in

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we start paying it back once we're earning at least £15000 afterwards. Still have massive debts tho. At least we're doing proper degrees, we're a dying breed obviously!

congrats tuppatopbrer!

ReputationRep:
    thank u, wot did u end up gettin?

ReputationRep:
    I got AABB in the end, don't think I've ever been so nervous in my life! Glad track went live (even if it was a glitch) at about half twelve last nite, I was one of the lucky few who got on! What did you get?

ReputationRep:
    Its on the other thread but I got AAAACb. Nar, I decided against looking on track, I wanted to get my results the 'traditional' way lol but I was very tempted. Anymore physists or have they all gone to hit their books already after receiving their result

ReputationRep:
    lol I'm not traditional I'm just impatient, felt good to find out last nite tho, almost got a good night's sleep (before i realised it might have been a glitch!).

I dunno where all the other physicists have gone, maybe we're the only ones! :O

ReputationRep:
    i got in

WOO

i am going to buzz all over every one tonight

AAAa

cambridge can ***** off

ReputationRep:
    Nice one oldmansteptoe, and yeah, cambridge can **** off! :P

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much m'dear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldmansteptoe)

cambridge can ***** off
    Did they reject you or did you reject them?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt necessarily have accepted an offer from Cambridge if id have got one (i know people who've done that)

actually, im just lying. I would have loved to have gone to Cambridge

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 21, 2006
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.