The Student Room Group

Advice on GCSE Latin

I'm thinking about taking gcse latin next year but I'm starting from scratch. I thought this wouldn't be a problem as I have a few books on learning Latin which I would do before the term starts (in fact, I've started one already and it's going well :tongue: ). However I'm beginning to be worried as everyone is telling me you need 2 years to do gcse latin from scratch, you can't do it in 1 year etc.
So these are my questions:
1 - has anyone done the gcse in 1 year from scratch?
2 - am I underestimating its difficulty?
3 - what do you find hard and easy?
4 - (last question, I promise!) any tips for studying Latin/advice for getting an A?

Thanks! :biggrin:
:bump:
1) I've been doing Latin since year 7 and did the GCSE over two years so can't really be of any use (sorry!)
2) It's one of the easier GCSEs. It takes a lot of revision but if you revise thoroughly it's fine :smile:
3) Personally, I find language easy and literature hard (which is strange- in English it's the opposite) but most people find literature easier because you don't really have to understand what's going on providing you learn the notes and translation. The language papers require a lot more depth of understanding when it comes to the grammar, but if you've taken to Latin so far, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
4) Revise, revise, revise. It's the key with Latin. Know the vocab list and grammar inside out, learn your notes and translations and it should be fine. The Cambridge Latin Course is amazing. I'd say it would be easier if you had support from teachers who can provide notes, but these can be purchased from the internet if you get stuck.
Good luck!
Reply 3
I started Latin in year 8 outside of school hours (but within school), taking my exam in year 10.

Not going to lie, in year 8 and 9 I did absolutely nothing. We only REALLY started doing stuff in year 10 - seriously the idea of 8/9 was learning grammar structures but I had no idea at the time what any of that meant until I did it in German.

So yes, it's very possible to do it in one year. I did the WJEC Cambridge Latin Course, Latin language + civilization. I am no natural linguist by any means ahah and the brilliant thing about it is you get a list of 400 ish words, and basically the exam is made up out of them words. Took me about 7 - 8 months spending about half hour a week on vocab to learn them all :O (almost.)

Literature I have no idea, didn't take it.

You're not underestimating its difficulty at all. It's nothing like other languages really as it's all reading and comprehensions

EDIT: Tips for getting an A - learn all vocab. Learn endings. Learn what they mean.

Seriously that is all there is to it - it's sort of hard to explain but unlike other languages for example German where words MUST go a certain place, Latin isn't like that. You can put the word pretty much anywhere in the sentence, just stick the right ending on it and it'll make sense... Generally.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by empressbethie
1) I've been doing Latin since year 7 and did the GCSE over two years so can't really be of any use (sorry!)
2) It's one of the easier GCSEs. It takes a lot of revision but if you revise thoroughly it's fine :smile:
3) Personally, I find language easy and literature hard (which is strange- in English it's the opposite) but most people find literature easier because you don't really have to understand what's going on providing you learn the notes and translation. The language papers require a lot more depth of understanding when it comes to the grammar, but if you've taken to Latin so far, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
4) Revise, revise, revise. It's the key with Latin. Know the vocab list and grammar inside out, learn your notes and translations and it should be fine. The Cambridge Latin Course is amazing. I'd say it would be easier if you had support from teachers who can provide notes, but these can be purchased from the internet if you get stuck.
Good luck!

Thanks! I feel more reassured now :smile: I think it's the literature I'm most worried about as for language you can learn easily from books, but as you say, notes and translations are best for that.
Reply 5
I'm doing OCR, its very difficult but if you grasp the grammar quickly, you should be fine :smile:
Original post by AdamCee
I started Latin in year 8 outside of school hours (but within school), taking my exam in year 10.

Not going to lie, in year 8 and 9 I did absolutely nothing. We only REALLY started doing stuff in year 10 - seriously the idea of 8/9 was learning grammar structures but I had no idea at the time what any of that meant until I did it in German.

So yes, it's very possible to do it in one year. I did the WJEC Cambridge Latin Course, Latin language + civilization. I am no natural linguist by any means ahah and the brilliant thing about it is you get a list of 400 ish words, and basically the exam is made up out of them words. Took me about 7 - 8 months spending about half hour a week on vocab to learn them all :O (almost.)

Literature I have no idea, didn't take it.

You're not underestimating its difficulty at all. It's nothing like other languages really as it's all reading and comprehensions

EDIT: Tips for getting an A - learn all vocab. Learn endings. Learn what they mean.

Seriously that is all there is to it - it's sort of hard to explain but unlike other languages for example German where words MUST go a certain place, Latin isn't like that. You can put the word pretty much anywhere in the sentence, just stick the right ending on it and it'll make sense... Generally.

Thanks! Now that you've explained it, it doesn't seem as difficult as people make out. At least there's a list for the words they use in the exam! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by AppleBlossoms
Thanks! Now that you've explained it, it doesn't seem as difficult as people make out. At least there's a list for the words they use in the exam! :biggrin:

No problem :smile:

http://www.cambridgescp.com/singles/wjec/voc.html?u21.t
If you want to have a look at the vocab list. (Say list it's a vocab tester too. Absolutely brilliant.)
Think I have a table of all the grammar stuff somewhere if you're interested?
Original post by AdamCee
No problem :smile:

http://www.cambridgescp.com/singles/wjec/voc.html?u21.t
If you want to have a look at the vocab list. (Say list it's a vocab tester too. Absolutely brilliant.)
Think I have a table of all the grammar stuff somewhere if you're interested?

Yes, that would be amazing thank you!
Reply 9
Yes, that would be amazing thank you!

That should be it attached :smile:
Original post by AdamCee
That should be it attached :smile:

That's perfect! It'll come in handy :smile:
That's perfect! It'll come in handy :smile:

No problem - good luck :smile:
I'm thinking about taking gcse latin next year but I'm starting from scratch. I thought this wouldn't be a problem as I have a few books on learning Latin which I would do before the term starts (in fact, I've started one already and it's going well :tongue: ). However I'm beginning to be worried as everyone is telling me you need 2 years to do gcse latin from scratch, you can't do it in 1 year etc.
4 - (last question, I promise!) any tips for studying Latin/advice for getting an A?

I find the language side quite easy as I have studied it before. The literature is difficult.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13

I'm doing it in one year. But I studied Latin previously. The literature is the most difficult.

Latest