ymou
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Haven't seen an official thread so thought I'd start one with regards to yesterday's paper. I did the Judiciary question and the Core Executive question. For the 25 marker on the judiciary I know people who have answered it in two different ways: some thought they had to explain why neutrality and independence are important, others explained whether they actually are neutral and independent or not. I did the latter, but I was just wondering what others did! Also, your opinion on the exam in general!
123jess123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hey i did the same as you, I struggled with what they actually wanted us to talk about but I think I did what you did?
Basically I said the judicary are neutral and independent because..
security of tenure
offence of contempt of court
consolidated fund salaries
anonymity
no political bias
but then i said actually they aren't (in practice) because...
human rights act politicised judicary because they can now rule stuff incompatible with HRA
judges can still vote so they will have some bias even if they don't openly / intentionally
and the removal of law lords to supreme court brought media attention to judges so threatened them.

I felt like I'd gone on the completely wrong wave length haha so don't worry if you've put something totally different. And I thought the definitions were fair for the first time in a long time! What did you write for the core executive/civil service question?
ymou
Rep:
?
Yeah I did the exact same thing!! I hope that's the right way of doing it, I kinda struggled with the structure though and only did 4 paragraphs. The 5 markers were very nice, the 10 markers slightly tricky I found.

For the civil service question, my teacher told us that there's a lot of ways to answer this question, none of which in the textbook. I used the four models defining relations between civil servants and ministers that he told us about - Traditional model, adversarial model, Whitehall community model and Public Choice Model. In my conclusion I wrote that perhaps it's spads who have a greater influence - e.g. Alistair Cambell etc. My teacher said that was the way to answer it and I got a high mark on it when I did a similar one in a recent mock; however, I now have a massive worry that maybe not all examiners are aware of these models? So someone might just think I'm making it all up hahaha. What did you do?
123jess123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I havent been taught about them models but they sound clever and I know in previous exams (unit 1) you could use models to talk aabout voting but my teacher didn't teach them as models if you get me? He just taught the principles..
I said civil service have experience and expertise because they're permanent so they do advise, however minister has final say. In IMR ministers are responsible for the decisions that knowingly go on in their department which suggests its ministers that do the deciding. And minsters are elected whereas civil servants aren't so ministers have no legitimacy to decide (was really clutching at straws here haha).
Then I just said that civil service can actually decide issues by pigeon holing them so they don't actually get to be decided. They also have a conservative pull because of their permanence so might influence the decisions. And I said that ministers turn to spads now so civil service arent needed for advice as much. And also civil servants more focussed on opperational amtters than advising.

I felt really uneasy I didn't feel like anything I wrote was actually that relevant it was so desperate hahaha. Oh well!
ymou
Rep:
?
That's pretty much what all the models are about haha it should be fine then I hope. Most people I know did the Parliament question instead of the civil service, but I found that so hard!?! Especially the 10 marker, I had no idea what that was on about haha. Hopefully grade boundaries are relatively low, the 25 markers were all rather tricky!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.47%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.51%

Watched Threads